Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126479 times)

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8775 on: August 26, 2014, 07:41:02 am »

well my stories don't sound as extreme as urist's fort, but in my last fort i got reminded pretty adly  that now some enemies can climb. it was still pretty early in my fort, didn't had every room fully build yet and no hospital or barracks yet, as a goblin siege came. i had ne inner bridge (within the entrance tunnel) but a complete outer wall with bridge, i raised the bridge quickly and thought that i was safe...wrong....a bowman climbed down from the cliffside and murdered everyone.....it was hilarious because he still had the pre 40.10 projectile speed bug, it looked like the shots came from a machinegun.

i also love my current fort, good geographics, good amount of iron ore (no flux yet), a mostly quiet cavern directly below (only 10 floors below) and i got the usual three lvl 3 x weapon profession dwarf and a maceman (also migrant) with lvl 10 mace, lvl 10 doger and lvl 10 discipline (also 1-2 armor but hey, high dodging and deadly with mace). currently a forgotten beast appeared which seemed to spill some liquid. it was at first pretty hilarious because in the cave was a troll i didn't dare to fight yet the forgotten beast landed directly next to him. both were in 7 deep water and duo to the liquid it seams the water where the forgotten beast stood were freezing constantly. i though "hey, maybe it will stuck there being freezed till i am sure i can kill it.". it eventually killed the troll and made his way towards my fort. it was still in the stairways leading up to my main fortress when i send my high-lvl macedwarf to give the beast a welcoming party. i also send the three other "normal" militia-dwarves but either they weren't there in time or had run in fear, idk, they weren't there. the macedwarf got 1-2 good hits on the forgottenbeast, damaging two of the beasts bodyparts (i think one arm and one leg), but then the beast started bashing (fists) and kicking, it threw the dwarf 2-3 times away and smashed one of his arms (i didn't know which one exactly, i think it was even the weapon-hand) .... i didn't read in the combat log that he died (found dead or gave in to pain or any other fatal wound), but he suddenly vanished from my squad screen so i assume that he is a goner. the forgotten beast is now on its way to my fort, he already killed the high-level macedwarf mere seconds and now the only thing that stands between him and my fort are three weaponlevel 3, otherwise untrained militia-dwarves and i have no hope of surviving this. .... and i loved this fort, it went so well like never before T.T. .... until now.

edit: my facepalm moment is that recently i can't seem to get a working / fully-featured fort started, make no mistake i am still quite new to the game, but with DF2012 i constantly got to a lategame fort. maybe because i also got no real sieges in my previous forts (DF2012), duo to bug or otherwise, just some snatchers and small ambushes but never sieges. now i rarely get snatchers but sieges still in the first year x'D.....it is "FUN".

Edit2: now i remember something very hilarious, in my current fort i got a pretty long goblin siege recently, FUN part was that one of the goblin was a werecat. it transformed and killed 3 of his brothers and infected another goblin with the disease. so in the end the werecats / the goblin themselve took care of each other x'D. pre 40.10 was also funny with the buggy / untweaked morale system that when i embarked near goblins and towers that sometimes i got both siegers and one runs in fear of the other. or sieges end prematurely because the enemy sees too much corpses (animals or older attackers). was quite hilarious :).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:45:54 am by Xerberus »

Andys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: August 27, 2014, 01:51:12 am »

Some time ago, still playing 34.11, I started a new fort.
As usual, I dug few rooms, some areas in soil level for tree farms, and then started digging down in search of caverns. And my miner dug right into a troglodyte camp (7-9 of them in 5 tile radius from the stairway)...
Though, this was the only facepalm moment, in the end fort lived through it.
Miner died instantly, then other three dwarves went in to collect webs and loot. One of them was also killed, other two ran around the caverns for some time, distracting troglodytes and pulling them away from stairs, while I walled off the cavern.
One of those two lived through whole thing, using guerilla tactics, pulling and wrestling troglodytes one by one. In the end, she got a broken nose, few scars, military commander title and a score of 7 kills (spent around half season in dark caves all alone until second migration wave came and I could create a makeshift crossbow squad)...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:07:15 am by Andys »

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: August 27, 2014, 06:49:24 am »

With 40.11 out i took the liberty to generate a small world.
Everythuing turned out beautiful, there were 2 Dwarfen Civs, 1 of them extinct.

I had choosen the existing one which had spread about half that world.
Started my embark, first year happened nothing special except of the usual starting jobs.
Then the Outpost liason arrived and reported taht the small goblin civ single handedly had conquered dozens of places, literally stopping existance of the civ i had choosen. Within the first year of the first fort...

So... yeah...

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: August 27, 2014, 07:07:56 am »

Just had a gob invasion in the first spring of the second year.  Defenses weren't even close to ready and my crew of military personell had just stated training.  The goblins charge the fort... see the dead werebeast corpse in the bottom of the river, the siege breaks, and they flee.

Worst goblin invasion.  Ever.
Oo, I had a similar experience at an earlier fort. Only this was a Ghostly Marksdwarf who still seemed to consider the goblins as enemies.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: August 27, 2014, 07:28:33 am »

Just had a gob invasion in the first spring of the second year.  Defenses weren't even close to ready and my crew of military personell had just stated training.  The goblins charge the fort... see the dead werebeast corpse in the bottom of the river, the siege breaks, and they flee.

Worst goblin invasion.  Ever.
Oo, I had a similar experience at an earlier fort. Only this was a Ghostly Marksdwarf who still seemed to consider the goblins as enemies.

'Scooby Doo and the Ghostly Marksdwarf'.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: August 27, 2014, 02:43:25 pm »

With 40.11 out i took the liberty to generate a small world.
Everythuing turned out beautiful, there were 2 Dwarfen Civs, 1 of them extinct.

I had choosen the existing one which had spread about half that world.
Started my embark, first year happened nothing special except of the usual starting jobs.
Then the Outpost liason arrived and reported taht the small goblin civ single handedly had conquered dozens of places, literally stopping existance of the civ i had choosen. Within the first year of the first fort...

So... yeah...

You scared me for a moment, I've been distracted by other stuff and haven't yet managed to get started on 0.40.x, had downloaded 0.40.10, and now you're saying 40.11 is out?!

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ seems to disagree though, we're still on 40.10 (as of right now, no guarantees how long that'll last of course). Just FYI for anyone else who might be perplexed about the offhand comment about 40.11.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: August 28, 2014, 07:24:14 am »

LOL, yes 40.10 no idea why i typed 11 there... xD

chillas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: August 28, 2014, 07:35:44 am »

I had found a nice embark site, right next to a 12-or-so Z level waterfall.  In setting everything up, I put my trade depot in the corner next to the waterfall and the cliff face next to it.

I go about my business of getting the rest of my fort set up and after a time the outpost liaison shows up.  I do business with him and it takes a few minutes for me to realize I've received no notification about the caravan arriving.  Time passed, still nothing.

Seasons passed and the human and elven caravans arrived.

Then I started getting notifications that the dwarves were being bothered by a ghost.  And more ghosts.  Checked my units and found no one missing.

Finally, in doing some construction down at the level of the bottom of the waterfall I realized what had happened.  The original caravan had somehow managed to fall into the river and drown.  Every single one of them, their animals, and all their goods down at the bottom of a raging waterfall.

Midboss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:45 pm »

I had a minotaur with a single combat report of 4 strangulations for about an entire season so I lifted the civilian alert thinking he was broken somehow. Sure enough someone walked straight up to the minotaur to pick up the corpse he was stuck stranguling and attempted to run while hauling a corpse. The minotaur was not pleased with me interrupting his corpse strangulation and proceeded to rampage on everyone outside. While the corpse gathering was going on I was going to gather all my troops near my entrance to deal with the minotaur. When he started to rampage I tried cancelling the previous station order with an order to remain in the tower. The archers continued pathing towards my entrance rather than double back. Now the minotaur is tearing apart woefully under equipped squishies and people inside are starting to tantrum. A soldier finally came along and placed his warhammer firmly in the minotaur's head.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:51 pm »

I had found a nice embark site, right next to a 12-or-so Z level waterfall.  In setting everything up, I put my trade depot in the corner next to the waterfall and the cliff face next to it.

I go about my business of getting the rest of my fort set up and after a time the outpost liaison shows up.  I do business with him and it takes a few minutes for me to realize I've received no notification about the caravan arriving.  Time passed, still nothing.

Then I started getting notifications that the dwarves were being bothered by a ghost.  And more ghosts.  Checked my units and found no one missing.

Finally, in doing some construction down at the level of the bottom of the waterfall I realized what had happened.  The original caravan had somehow managed to fall into the river and drown.  Every single one of them, their animals, and all their goods down at the bottom of a raging waterfall.

I'm in a situation sort of like that one. I had diverted my river so it was flowing at 3/7 for a while. I had traffic-restricted the area for my dwarves, but merchants don't seem to care as much about that. They decided to take a dip there as they were leaving, then promptly decided they were stuck. Possibly because the river is back up to 6/7. Either way they seem like they can swim well enough to not drown, but refuse to move. One merchant has already gone insane and was put down by his allies and it's only a matter of time before the others turn. I may build a memorial 'bridge' for them to commemorate their stupidity.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: August 30, 2014, 06:44:35 am »

I'm in a situation sort of like that one. I had diverted my river so it was flowing at 3/7 for a while. I had traffic-restricted the area for my dwarves, but merchants don't seem to care as much about that. They decided to take a dip there as they were leaving, then promptly decided they were stuck. Possibly because the river is back up to 6/7. Either way they seem like they can swim well enough to not drown, but refuse to move. One merchant has already gone insane and was put down by his allies and it's only a matter of time before the others turn. I may build a memorial 'bridge' for them to commemorate their stupidity.

This reminds me of one fort whose entrance I built next or behind a waterfall. The caravans didn't use the entrance, they preferred to dive into the waterfall (or fall in), then dive inside the fortress through the sewers and walk back upto the Depot. Of course sometimes even left via the river as well, by swimming.  Naturally, all their goods were lost while jumping into the river and diving, or leaving. But I still thought it awesome. Hard core salesmen.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: August 30, 2014, 09:47:06 am »

This happened on 34.11's adventure mode...

Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: August 30, 2014, 09:51:38 am »

This happened on 34.11's adventure mode...

That looks like a good death.  At least you didnt fall down the stairs and die :P

Why were you training wrestling on a creature with horns?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: August 31, 2014, 09:05:46 am »

Why were you training wrestling on a creature with horns?
"It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"...
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

DMofDOOM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://dmofdoom.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8789 on: August 31, 2014, 11:39:26 pm »

I had a minotaur with a single combat report of 4 strangulations for about an entire season so I lifted the civilian alert thinking he was broken somehow. Sure enough someone walked straight up to the minotaur to pick up the corpse he was stuck stranguling and attempted to run while hauling a corpse. The minotaur was not pleased with me interrupting his corpse strangulation and proceeded to rampage on everyone outside. While the corpse gathering was going on I was going to gather all my troops near my entrance to deal with the minotaur. When he started to rampage I tried cancelling the previous station order with an order to remain in the tower. The archers continued pathing towards my entrance rather than double back. Now the minotaur is tearing apart woefully under equipped squishies and people inside are starting to tantrum. A soldier finally came along and placed his warhammer firmly in the minotaur's head.

I'm not on 40.10 yet, but was laughing and had to share. I just had a Minotaurshow up and catch the one poor Suturer outside the fortress. It should have been a one head-twist half-step pause before the fortress would have been thankful for the line of cage traps in front of the entrance. But what actually happens is the first attack of the Minotaur is to grab the Suturer by the (llama wool shoe) with her left hand, and it evidently came off, because the Minotaur has now been ineffectively beating the Suturer with it for a month.

I could be in trouble when the Elfs want to trade....
f only they knew, they''d either be laughing or groaning....
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 729