Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126561 times)

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9390 on: September 18, 2015, 07:30:21 am »

Another thing I learned today, though usually I have an ungodly amount of serrated disc traps
And, of course, some monsters avoid traps AND don't care about your doors.

In which case, there's always walls. Or raised bridges.
Or [....]
uhhhhhhh forbidden hatches at the tops of your stairways; they can't be destroyed by creatures below them, because that's just not how building destroying works.

Nice signature quote you have there (-:

You have to be careful when relying on forbidden hatches, because it's not that they simply *can't* be destroyed from beneath. They can't be destroyed from beneath as long as there isn't an accessible alternate path by which the building destroyer could reach the top of the hatch.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: September 18, 2015, 03:16:59 pm »

Sat for five minutes watching hell workers remove constructions. Wondered why nothing had happened. Realized the game was paused.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: September 19, 2015, 01:34:18 am »

Nice signature quote you have there (-:

You have to be careful when relying on forbidden hatches, because it's not that they simply *can't* be destroyed from beneath. They can't be destroyed from beneath as long as there isn't an accessible alternate path by which the building destroyer could reach the top of the hatch.
Thank you P_P

Also, thing I learned o 3o I did not know that about hatches. Though I also never really have any alternate paths past my hatches.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: September 19, 2015, 10:39:52 am »

The big facepalm moment for me right now is utilizing an aquifer with my volcanic crater to jumpstart the obsidian industry.  No, I did not lose all my magma, but...  so...  many...  cave-ins.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: September 19, 2015, 07:20:28 pm »

The big facepalm moment for me right now is utilizing an aquifer with my volcanic crater to jumpstart the obsidian industry.  No, I did not lose all my magma, but...  so...  many...  cave-ins.

There is a way to turn cave in notifications to "just run it across the bottom, but don't pause and zoom."

chokepoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: September 20, 2015, 04:36:49 pm »

I built an open space in front and behind the targets to allow bolts to dop a z level so they don't break their training bolts as often. Hours of searching and almost giving up I notice a little line burried in the wiki tutorial that states marksdwarves must be able to reach their archery targets.
"She killed grinder. Now she must take his place in The Plague!"

paperhermit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: September 21, 2015, 11:31:10 am »

First year of a fortress. First migrants have arrived, a couple of kids with them. Miners are mining, the carpenter is doing buckets for the cheese maker. My food supply is the ol' plump helmet and fish. And the cheese. Quite close to my pen area for the sheep, there is a yak bull. He is there since we arrived, never bothered anyone. All is well. One of the migrants show some skill with hunting, so I equip him with wooden bolts, bone crossbow and a nice quiver. Another one has no skills whatsoever, he is quiet, no dreams, doesn't understand the social and has a hard time expressing himself. This guy becomes a temporary hauler for the woodcutter until I find something he can be happy working with. Meanwhile the hunter, happy with his new fancy quiver, goes straight for the yak. Shoots the hell out on it. He goes back for more ammo and empty his crossbow on this creature again. And then again. The yak is a complete walking cadaver at this point, with bruises and broken everything everywhere. Head split open. The hunter goes to the hills and completely forget about it, probably gave up on killing this freaking thing. One of the kids, the weird one, who would hang out on the meeting hall by himself, staring endless hours at the tables and chairs, finally decides to take a breather outside. He is content, despite not liking to eat in the crowded table. All is well and the world is the same as ever.

I was occupied supervising the miners with a 7 levels deep channel we were building to bring some of the river underground and make our fishing bis an underground thing. Suddenly my cheese maker stops milking her sheep. She is in shock. The yak bull attacked and killed the weird kid while he was outside. The expedition leader goes outside to build the windmill and also finds the body. The yak attacks him as well and the two of them goes into this spectacular fight. No one is armed at this point, we don't even have a militia commander on the job. Fortune holds it that the hunter is coming back while the leader is fighting with the yak. The hunter proceeds to shoot at the thing again, but yet again it fails to die. My dwarf manages to punch the yaks mouth into orbit, spreading its teeth all over the place. Its nose is also cut off and is on the ground when the fight is over...along with its second victim. By now everyone who goes outside is shocked...except Urist Mcnosobright, who simply goes by the bloody scene, pick up the teeth, the nose and the cadavers and put everything tidy on its respective piles.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9397 on: September 25, 2015, 03:09:26 pm »

Best.  Yak.  Ever.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #9398 on: September 27, 2015, 04:34:32 am »

FB attacks. It's a lizard that undulates rhythmically with a venomous bite.
Station military near where it appeared. Wait for it to make the first move.
Nothing happens.
The FB is stuck on a towercap and can't get down.
At this point the military is waiting patiently for my woodcutter to get down from the surface to chop down the towercap. The fight is extremely easy and would have been without casualties on our side if it wasn't for the grotesque mess that became of our woodcutter when the FB landed on him.
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: September 28, 2015, 01:01:19 pm »

Nothing happens.
At this point the military is waiting patiently for my woodcutter to get down from the surface to chop down the towercap. The fight is extremely easy and would have been without casualties on our side if it wasn't for the grotesque mess that became of our woodcutter when the FB landed on him.

LOL man I can just imagine this happening as this massive lizzard comes crashing down with the giant mushroom squishing the guy and spraying his blood all over the waiting military....

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9400 on: September 28, 2015, 07:20:22 pm »

Nothing happens.

How very dwary. You win five dwarfbucks for that.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: September 29, 2015, 04:58:10 pm »

A huge fecking army showed up and I made the mistake of building the lever for the bridge in the barracks, instead of the meeting hall. A few enemies got in, thankfully the traps shredded them but now we have a tantrum spiral on our hands.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: September 29, 2015, 07:16:42 pm »

Just had a most inopportune gremlin attack.  At the back of my walled-off courtyard, behind the refuse piles is an atom-smasher, its lever is about 15 tiles away in a groundfloor room of a tower.

Said gremlin got to the lever and gave it a good yank, unfortunately there was a dwarf using the dump zone at the time and the poor guy was oblivionised.

Even more unfortunately it was an off-duty militia member, his squad are taking it well, but my chief armourer is not impressed with the simultaneous destruction of an entire suit of masterwork steel....not impressed at all...
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: September 30, 2015, 01:45:32 am »

Urist mcFumblefingers, broker is trading. 
Urist mcFumblefingers, broker has painstakingly selected all the large troll fur loincloths and XX+{☼emu leather sock☼}+XXs from the hundred finished goods bins I hauled to the depot.
Urist mcFumblefingers fatfingers the 'a' key to select everything. 

No, I don't want to sieze your goods.  Come back here.  You are not leaving this map without at least 5000 urists of secondhand clothing. 

Urist mcFumblegingers forcequits in rage and has to redo six hours of gameplay. 

But at least this time I can get rid of all the trash that I can't burn without making my tailors go berserk. 

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9404 on: October 04, 2015, 07:24:44 am »

Ah, man, that's the worst. I, too, learned the hard way always to save (dfhack's quicksave, or save then reload) before trading, because I--er, all my brokers--also have fumblefingers.
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 729