Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126583 times)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9450 on: October 28, 2015, 08:40:36 pm »

I was trying to make an arena where I would get rid of some pesky demons and FB/titans by making them fight against each other.

I didn't build a wall where the arena connected to the surface.
Oh god

How did it end?

One of the FBs, a giant blob made of some stone that shot webs made it to the surface. All the dwarves decided that they would rather party than pull the lever that closed the front entrance.

Everyone got killed except for a child, a miner, and a woodcutter. All of them died of thirst.

In the future, you can use the "n" key to set the lever pulling job to a priority. That should help, at least a little bit.

Myran

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is Overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9451 on: November 01, 2015, 05:38:58 am »

There were two such moments in my first fortress. I was attacked by a horde of undead in the summer of the first year. I didn't even have a military yet. Anyway I had a moat with a drawbridge in front of the fortress, but I neglected to build a lever connected to the bridge. This resulted in all my dwarves being slaughtered, bar one.
I told the last dwarf to wall himself into the room with the Trade Depot. The entrance was three tiles wide and he walled up two before deciding he was a bit hungry. I forgot to disable his fishing labour so he ran outside and started hunting pond turtles. He was interrupted several times by his comrade's corpses before being struck down by some undead on his way back to the Trade Depot.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9452 on: November 04, 2015, 09:21:07 am »

So I have the outpost liason locked up in the dining hall due to wanting to get the fort promoted to a baronny (I have everything required, but my game always glitches out and forces me to lock him up until the caravan leaves). Things are going well, my mayor is sitting in his room conducting a meeting of one...and then suddenly I get the "Diplomat has left unhappy" message. I go wait wat for a moment...

Mayor went into a Strange Mood -_-; NOT THE TIME MAYOR. NOT THE TIME. You better make an awesome warhammer or mace with that silver you have.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: November 04, 2015, 07:43:00 pm »

You can generally predict an artefact based on the dwarf's preferences.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9454 on: November 04, 2015, 08:36:13 pm »

Yeah, sadly he doesn't have particular preferences in terms of 'things that can be made from metal' (he keeps mandating cabinets, as that's the only thing he likes, but he doesn't have high moodability for...blacksmithing? whichever one is the furniture one). He ended up making silver greaves -_-

So far I have silver greaves, a silver short sword, and two reindeer bone shields. USELESS.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.
« Reply #9455 on: November 05, 2015, 01:29:29 am »

Yeah, sadly he doesn't have particular preferences in terms of 'things that can be made from metal' (he keeps mandating cabinets, as that's the only thing he likes, but he doesn't have high moodability for...blacksmithing? whichever one is the furniture one). He ended up making silver greaves -_-

So far I have silver greaves, a silver short sword, and two reindeer bone shields. USELESS.

Silver greaves are far from useless! Silver makes excellent armor; but can only be made through moods.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9456 on: November 05, 2015, 02:02:54 am »

Wouldn't Bone Shields be just as effective as any other shield? I mean, sure, you're not really getting an extra-effective super shield, but it isn't like it's worse than regular shields.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9457 on: November 05, 2015, 03:21:46 am »

Silver greaves are far from useless! Silver makes excellent armor; but can only be made through moods.
Hm, better or worse than steel though? Might be worth sticking it on my next melee squad since I have no iron on this map.

Wouldn't Bone Shields be just as effective as any other shield? I mean, sure, you're not really getting an extra-effective super shield, but it isn't like it's worse than regular shields.
Technically yeah, but they're heavier than wood shields, which automatically makes the wood ones better imo, since I don't care for shield bashing, just blocking.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: November 05, 2015, 11:23:23 am »

Hm, better or worse than steel though? Might be worth sticking it on my next melee squad since I have no iron on this map.

Technically yeah, but they're heavier than wood shields, which automatically makes the wood ones better imo, since I don't care for shield bashing, just blocking.

According to the wiki, home of material analysis technology, silver is one of the worst things you can make armor out of. Instead, use it for high value trade goods and blunt weaponry (it's the second best material for blunt weapons, only being topped by mood-only platinum).

Also, have you heard of the leather shield?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9459 on: November 05, 2015, 02:26:26 pm »

What I never got about shields is that yeah, you want it to be light, but don't you want it to be made of metal for the same reason you want your armor to be made out of metal?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9460 on: November 05, 2015, 02:45:07 pm »

What I never got about shields is that yeah, you want it to be light, but don't you want it to be made of metal for the same reason you want your armor to be made out of metal?

The amount of protection given by a shield isn't affected by the material it's made of. It does, however, affect the shield bash attack, which is a blunt attack. If you want metal shields, use copper, silver, etc, the metals used for blunt weapons. Be aware that this makes them heavier - which is why they're better for blunt attacks. It doesn't seem to come up very often - dwarves appear to prefer using their primary weapon - but if their primary gets stuck, they will fall back on other options.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: November 05, 2015, 02:59:12 pm »

I have used steel shields previously, since they're the lightest non-adamantine metal and still good blunt weapons. Of course, with the tweaks I've made to the dwarven body and soul (skills and stats train really fast and never decay, stat caps are much higher), I wonder if there's even an advantage in using leather shields myself.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9462 on: November 05, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »

According to the wiki, home of material analysis technology, silver is one of the worst things you can make armor out of. Instead, use it for high value trade goods and blunt weaponry (it's the second best material for blunt weapons, only being topped by mood-only platinum).

Also, have you heard of the leather shield?
Yeah, I thought as such. So very much useless.

And I have! But I usually hoard leather because of the need to make all the leather armour/backpacks/quivers/flasks/whatever for the eventual civilian militia.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9463 on: November 05, 2015, 06:55:52 pm »

And I have! But I usually hoard leather because of the need to make all the leather armour/backpacks/quivers/flasks/whatever for the eventual civilian militia.
I do too. Now I have 1000+ leather. All of it made in the fort. Training a dwarf from dabbling leatherworker to Legendary +5 barely put a dent in it. Kill me now.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: November 05, 2015, 08:22:01 pm »

Sell the raw leather. You won't get much for it (except through sheer volume), but it'll be gone.

Bone is density 500. There are nine wood types of less dense than that, thirteen more dense, and a whole bunch of types at density 600. Highwood and tunnel tube are density 500.

If you have a wooden shield, odds are that it'll be heavier than a bone shield.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 729