Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126610 times)

Grendl Kahn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9540 on: December 09, 2015, 05:58:53 pm »

Reading all of this is a good tutorial for someone who is about to play his first game since 2007. Lots of avoidable things I probably wouldve walked into :D

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9541 on: December 09, 2015, 06:08:41 pm »

Reading all of this is a good tutorial for someone who is about to play his first game since 2007. Lots of avoidable things I probably wouldve walked into :D
Bah! Fail harder, like real dwarves do! Read all about the awful things you can avoid and then do them anyway.

Grendl Kahn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9542 on: December 10, 2015, 03:52:13 am »

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's going to happen

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9543 on: December 10, 2015, 12:26:29 pm »

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's going to happen
It is. It is indeed.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9544 on: December 10, 2015, 09:29:23 pm »

With real sieges now, and no armor for my dwarves, I'm playing it cautious.  A vile force of 70 goblins encroaches on my fortress and I order everyone inside.  There are no less than seven bridges and seven levers into my fort and I have 15 idlers. For some reason they were not pulling the Armok-damned levers.

Then as I was typing this up to say woe is me, all hope is lost, I realized I hadn't included the lever room in the burrow. Man that was a close call.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
  • There are only so many bees in a hive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9545 on: December 11, 2015, 02:28:51 pm »

Started up a new game in 42.02, wanted to try out the taverns and all that (Fortress Mode). Went up on a ledge to clear away some hill, making my settlement raised a little. Miners go and dig out the hill, and as I gaze upon the beauty that is level ground, it pauses for half a second, and my lapse in judgement is brought to the forefront of my mind: I didn't get rid of the top part.

Two dead miners later, someone has taken over the leadership of this expedition. The tavern that will be raised on that ground shall be forever known as Miner's Lament.

I've been playing DF for at least half a decade. Face, meet palm.

JonnyBlack01

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Just another chaotic gamer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9546 on: December 12, 2015, 10:29:47 am »

Started a new fort bringing 9 female of both dogs and cats, and one male dog and cat. As soon as I un-paused the game, all of the cats ganged up on my one male dog and proceeded to tear it to shreds.
The more complex the game, the more I want to learn it.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9547 on: December 12, 2015, 10:49:35 am »

Started a new fort bringing 9 female of both dogs and cats, and one male dog and cat. As soon as I un-paused the game, all of the cats ganged up on my one male dog and proceeded to tear it to shreds.

And there are people who say that cats would be stupid...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9548 on: December 12, 2015, 02:56:46 pm »

So, in my new 42.2 fort I was digging a 3x4 hole through the aquifer via the weep holes method, nothing I haven't done many times before. When I finally got to the last level I accidentally dug out the wrong tile and now I literally can't pump fast enough to allow wall building on either side of the hole. The only thing to do is dump magma own the stairs to plug the gap, but that will require me to start a new aquifer pierce so I can get magma in the first place (just one minecart full will do)...

Oh for a working 42.x DFHack so I can fix stupid mistakes...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9549 on: December 13, 2015, 07:16:59 am »

In 40.24 the abundance of fruiting trees (even in a desert biome) made me complacent about building a well or looking for the caverns, since I never run out of booze.

....until I got a migration wave of 8 babies.  Which all simultaneously died of dehydration, since there was no water anywhere on the map and babies don't drink.

Tovical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9550 on: December 15, 2015, 08:14:53 am »

My fortress has been going strong for years; not much in the way of FUN yet, but I play at an easy pace... So when one of my dwarves suddenly dies, and I see he was killed his own room, I begin to panic a little. A cursory investigation reveals he was killed by a sudden and rather severe fist fight. Panic subsides, but now I'm puzzled by why two seemingly happy dwarves started beating the crap out of each other.

The one who is still alive, I recognize his name and I soon realize it's because he's some kind of military noble. Nothing clicks at first, so I look at the dwarf's thoughts and prefs. I see the following, and that was my face palm moment:

He was frustrated considering the scarcity of cages and chains.

For years I've been ignoring my duke's demands for shields and finally my poor justice dwarf (who I didn't even realize was a justice dwarf) couldn't take it anymore. He stopped hoping that I would at least peek at the Justice screen, or even build a single chain, and took the law into his own hands, and now one of my legendary engravers is a bloody smear against a bedroom wall.

Now digging out a prison.

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9551 on: December 15, 2015, 09:50:48 am »

A fort full of peace-loving hippies doesn't work so well when a once-goblin Weresheep decides to pay a visit.

The axe-wielding crow-woman who apparently chased it in didn't want anything to do with it (and spent the entire time screaming "Help!" from the top of a tree) and it tore three dwarves in half before a hastily assembled militia could be sent its way. They only won because it turned back into a goblin (but win they did - quite instantaneously), but everyone was quite injured. Everyone was sent to the hospital, a few levels down into the fortress, and the sole medical dwarf available cared for them as best he could. His dedication was rewarded with all five of them turning into weresheep and tearing apart the rest of the fort. That crow-woman didn't move from her perch the entire time. I reckon she did it on purpose.

(My dwarves didn't even write any books like they were supposed to! For shame.)
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9552 on: December 15, 2015, 07:30:01 pm »

...that moment you have a werebeast show up, slam into place a military alert and tell people to wall themselves off, only to have the idiots IGNORE THE MILITARY ALERT TO GO BEAT ON THE WEREBEAST.

Fuck the noise, force quit and reloading from the last season save. I don't even care that I lost progress, the fact that they ignored the military alert completely despite not being military was just...guh. IDIOTS. MILITARY ALERT MEANS STAY IN THE BURROW.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9553 on: December 17, 2015, 06:04:43 pm »

...that moment you have a werebeast show up, slam into place a military alert and tell people to wall themselves off, only to have the idiots IGNORE THE MILITARY ALERT TO GO BEAT ON THE WEREBEAST.

Fuck the noise, force quit and reloading from the last season save. I don't even care that I lost progress, the fact that they ignored the military alert completely despite not being military was just...guh. IDIOTS. MILITARY ALERT MEANS STAY IN THE BURROW.

I had 20 dwarfs charge a werehorse seems they were drunk, I also expected it to die to the first dwarf that lost his arm then it killed the other dwarf as well. Thinking the whole time 2 dwarfs is fine, wait why the hell are more dwarfs charging at it only to die?
Watched the whole thing... drunk bastards.

I almost did the same thing, can't save scum because that would just lead down the path of accepting it repeating it again. Was such a good geographical area for a 3x6... I will miss that save.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9554 on: December 18, 2015, 04:20:54 am »

I had 20 dwarfs charge a werehorse seems they were drunk, I also expected it to die to the first dwarf that lost his arm then it killed the other dwarf as well. Thinking the whole time 2 dwarfs is fine, wait why the hell are more dwarfs charging at it only to die?
Watched the whole thing... drunk bastards.

I almost did the same thing, can't save scum because that would just lead down the path of accepting it repeating it again. Was such a good geographical area for a 3x6... I will miss that save.
You can reclaim, you know.
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 729