Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126652 times)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #540 on: October 25, 2009, 06:44:21 am »

got another one, let's just say it's thanks to this thread that my champion wrestlers are finally getting their training as hammer dorfs as initially intended...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 25, 2009, 05:41:36 pm »

EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Misplaced Item

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 25, 2009, 08:02:02 pm »

When I realized why the well I had built underground near my bedrooms had overflowed and flooded about thirty of them.

Specifically, it was because I made a mistake with water pressure. I dug out an offshoot from the river and sent it down about fifteen levels to one level above the top level of my housing complex. I built a couple wells there in case anyone got injured and had to stay in bed for a while- anyone giving them water wouldn't have to walk all the way up to the surface to get it. I made some pillars in a pattern on about level -5, to depressurize the water, but I had somehow overlooked that the water was still going to be heading down another ten levels or so, and it would try to eqalize from the drop from level -5 to -15. So I managed to wall off the flooded bedrooms and had to set up a rather elaborate system to drain the offshoot I had dug from the river and dam that up, then mine out another channel at the bottom of the flooded bedrooms to bring the water to a stack of screw pumps so I could drain all that water back into the river. I never got that accomplished though.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 11, 2009, 08:04:31 pm »

Just had one now, finding out that I could click and drag my dig designations, rather then click them square by square.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 11, 2009, 08:10:34 pm »

You can't do that. Ohh, you mean that. Yeah that works.  Too bad it only makes a line.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 11, 2009, 08:13:09 pm »

PSst: Right click to put the X-cursor under the mouse in designation mode, guys.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 11, 2009, 08:45:07 pm »

Never had a real facepalm moment I can recall, but I had a few "Dammit!" moments that might qualify.

Consider my first attempt at obsidian farming; I had a magma pipe on the surface, and decided therefore to build both a magma industry on the surface, and to use a channel from there to the magma portion of the farm, held back by a floodgate next to the industry. If that's not clear, I used my forge/glass/smelting area as a reservoir for the magma, stupid mistake number 1, and had the reservoir "controlled" way the hell away from the farm, stupid mistake two. I also had a murky pool next to the magma channel, and decided to use that as a substitute for the brook I planned to feed the water reservoir with. Foolish, but acceptable at the time. What's worse is that I did so by feeding the pool directly into the magma channel. This meant that a) it solidified the magma starting from the point where the magma fed in, creating an obsidian plug and preventing more water from getting down, and b) when I reopened the floodgate to allow the magma to run free, it solidified in the floodgate, blocking it open.

All in all, my first foray into obsidian farming was much Fun. I had a few other teething issues, mostly in the area of how long to leave the water going, but those weren't anywhere near as moronic.

There's also my aborted attempt at fish farming. I built a channel, blocked with a floodgate at the entrance and grates at the exit, to allow fish to come in but not out and air-drown them where they could be butchered without slaughtering my poor dwarves. In what might have been a clever course of action, I decided to have its outflow feed into the reservoir for my obsidian farm, which had another inflow, also from the river. When the reservoir was complete, but not the fish farm, I opened the floodgates and let the water rush in to fill the reservoir. I had foolishly forgotten the water pressure, and it roared through the reservoir, up the farm's outflow, and flooded it completely. Once again, Fun. Could have been worse, though; I'd been planning to feed the well from it also.

Kyrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 11, 2009, 11:13:59 pm »

*miners hit damp stone underground!* "Hey, water! Now I don't have to worry about making my own water reservoirs to collect water from the murky pools on the map before it all evaporates each summer!"

*digs a one tile channel for a well* "Man, this underground water reservoir sure is nice. Strange that it doesn't seem to count as an underground pool or anything, but hey, it's water conveniently placed around the upper right corner of the map, where all my main buildings are."

*several years later* "Yep, having this built-in reservoir of water sure is handy, especally since I've got a couple permanent invalids now who will never drink booze again. Wonder why it's not running out of water at all? Anyway, since this is just a pool or something(although I'm not able to grow tower caps or anything, how strange), I might as well dig under it already. It's not like my miners have anything else to do anymore."

*minerdorfs dig a couple squares, water starts flooding out. I frantically dig a bunch of channels to temporarily contain the water followed by a bunch of walls(and "Wimpydorf cancels construct building:submerged in an inch of water" messages) to permanently contain it(didn't lose anything but a couple workshops...and two babies of channel digging/wall building dwarfs who somehow dropped them down said channels)), and go do some wiki-reading to figure out what happened* "...hm, so apparently you can have an aquifer only on PART of the map and not be warned about it on embark if it's in a different biome from the rest of the map."

It's probably for the best that I learned that(and how to deal with sudden flooding) on my first fortress instead of in future forts in more dangerous areas.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 11, 2009, 11:57:02 pm »

PSst: Right click to put the X-cursor under the mouse in designation mode, guys.

Psst again. You might need to enable it in the init.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Weeaboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Anime Trolling Detected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 11, 2009, 11:58:19 pm »

After playing for a year on a fortress that i made. I realized that i didn't have an anvil when i started off.
Damnit Dwarfs! Stop flooding the mines with lava.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 12, 2009, 12:08:48 am »

Well, you can buy 'em from caravans.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Weeaboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Anime Trolling Detected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 12, 2009, 01:19:12 am »

Well, you can buy 'em from caravans.

I had the stranded mod on... -_-
Damnit Dwarfs! Stop flooding the mines with lava.

Vidalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 12, 2009, 06:59:22 am »

I started up a new castle at Dwarf Heaven and after initial setup worked my way around the aquafier and a few levels down to start the initial dwarven hall. Besides the hall and the sleeping quarters I created a mason shop with a few storage areas, each for each quality, to quickly see what I have in store. These storage areas were above and below the mason shop to minimize travel time. Many happy diggings later, smoothing sleeping quarters etc, I decided to add another level on storage area on top of the existing levels and there I was, back at the aquafier. Flood my castle. :(

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 12, 2009, 09:16:34 am »

Wait, the mouse control option does do something?

*facepalm*
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 12, 2009, 02:48:50 pm »

Not to run with a old gag... but.

Pssst! I know that!

I was using the click and drag because its easier for lines, and I wanted to shave away at a vien little by little, rather then cut away half the mountain side to get all of it.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 729