Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarven Optometry...  (Read 14983 times)

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Optometry...
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 07:15:01 am »

Well I tried putting in a syndrome , since the Install I was using has elves as common domestic pack animals I decided to try and mod elf blood with a contact syndrome. It's supposed cause necrosis in the eyes of of any male dwarf that comes into contact with elf blood.(there is a typo on the swelling creature effect that i fixed prior to world gen)

I embarked with a couple of elves, dug a ptifall drop ( i doubled in depth after I noticed that it was less that lethal)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I set up a small squad and had them equip nothing but one sock each then stationed them in the splatter zone, I didn't get any result and a dragon showed up to Fu*k things up before i got a chance to retest.

I edited the raws again to make the elf entry in standard creature and common domestic were the same and I added the syndrome to the blood template in the materials templates., gened a new world (where it seems that my civ has tamed the goblins, bug?)

embarked, but for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode (i did Nothing to any of the temp values)

embarked somewhere else, same world, same raws, no explosion this time, people were nearly drowning in elf blood wearing a single sock each but still nothing.

Any Ideas?
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 07:28:30 am »

oh god i can't stop laughing

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 07:34:31 am »

Acceptable failure. Did it take out all the dwarves?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 07:38:08 am »

It is not a failure if elves burn and cause something that looks a bit like a thermonuclear elfsplosion, and potentially blinded multiple dwarves.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 07:41:22 am »

It looks more like a concentrated area carpet bomb.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 07:45:30 am »

Acceptable failure. Did it take out all the dwarves?
The dragon did, cornering an untrained military hiding in a pit of elven guts 20 levels deep all nude apart from one sock each. and was likely quite shocked.

The random elfsplosion killed about ten elves, 3 tame goblins, 4 dwarfs  and burned the fat off a goblin and woodcutter who then tantrumed and killed the remaining 2 miners who reached cover in the mountain during the forest fire.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:00:48 am by Lezard »
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 08:01:04 am »

This is pleasing.

On that note, what are the potential disadvantages to a fort of blinded workers? Obviously they could not fight but would it stop all those damn "Urist McTrollmodeEngage cancels Construct vitally important support to avoid catastrophe, interrupted by kitty with a mean grin" issues.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 08:08:32 am »

I'd reckon the biggest issue would be that no one could see. I can imagine what that could cause...

"All right Urist, I'm ready to carry the stuff out of the drowning pits now. Pull lever B to open the exit hatch!"

"Which one's B?"
"Uh... I dunno."

"This one?"
"Yeah, try that one."

<swoooooosh>
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 08:13:43 am »

That's why I'm trying to make it so it only effects males by giving the female cast immunity so I'll still have half a fort to work with...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 11:52:29 am »

Sometimes you are not supposed to succeed, or even know if you succeeded or not. Sometimes it is best to just keep testing until you run out of cake enough elves have been killed you find a new point for the testing, and succeed in it.

And basically, if elves keep dying, it will still be recorded as a success.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 12:43:54 pm »

embarked, but for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode (i did Nothing to any of the temp values)

I'm sigging that.

This whole thread has been a triumph to Dwarven Science.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:42:40 pm by Rijjka »
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

NightS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 02:29:14 pm »

This is one of the reasons i love this game :D
Advanced design at the service of some guy who wants civilians without eyes so they cannot see the enemy and retreat.
Awesome.
Also congratulations for the exploding !!elves!!

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 04:01:39 pm »

There is never a dull moment in Dwarf Fortress. Exploding elves? Do want!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:38:20 pm by Flandre »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 06:03:44 pm »

The sensible way to do this would be to have a workshop that does nothing but create blinding gas.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 07:01:06 pm »

...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.
May I sig this? it describes so much of my modding experience.

Edit:
No, the sensible thing to do would be to mod males to not have eyes in the first place. The beard should more then compensate.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:03:35 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5