Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126524 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #600 on: December 04, 2009, 02:25:36 pm »

Probably my biggest facepalm moment: "Aluminum ore?  Well that's useless..."

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 04, 2009, 02:30:00 pm »

"I'll just assign some war dogs to the guy then do a forbid/unforbid dance with all the stuff he's gathered."  And it works.

Can you explain how you pulled that off? I have no idea how you could prolong his mood once he started working. Not to mention, that I never would have guessed that it was possible to begin work on an artifact before gathering all the ingredients...

He didn't begin working. If, while he's gathering ingredients, you forbid one of the ones he's chosen, he'll just go grab a new one. If you repeatedly forbid a material, and make him "dance" between the workshop and stockpile, he'll do this indefinitely as it has some effect on the insanity timer.

Don't try this while they're working though, pretty sure it fails the mood and drives them insta-mad. Though it might be a good way to kill those damn stonecrafter moods...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 04, 2009, 02:57:44 pm »

What, no gold for the Triforce?
Oh that's right, that would have been awesome.  Actually I did have some gold that I hadn't smelted... aluminum too... /facepalm  Oh well the thing is 60,000 dwarfbucks, after four artifacts that never broke 10,000 (Ganondorf's maple crown sucked, Zelda's quern was actually 76,800) I'm just happy Link didn't go insane xD

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 04, 2009, 03:00:27 pm »

Don't try this while they're working though, pretty sure it fails the mood and drives them insta-mad. Though it might be a good way to kill those damn stonecrafter moods...

I did this by accident, and ended up with an artifact composed entirely of some odd substance (I think is was toadskin). None of the gathered ingredients got used, because I forbid them. No new ones were gathered because he was already working.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 04, 2009, 03:15:32 pm »

All my dwarfs are half dehydrated because, despite having two stills set up, I somehow forgot to set the brew drink-repeat orders. -_-
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 04, 2009, 03:30:10 pm »

BTW, if you have a brook far away from your fort and your FPS drops, you're out of booze. That FPS drop is your dwarves pathing to the brook. Worse is when your soldiers do it, because the underlings spam pathfinding to catch up to their leader. I've gone from 75 to 20 fps that way, then got it all back once I managed to install three wells in my fortress during a food crisis.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 04, 2009, 03:53:27 pm »

BTW, if you have a brook far away from your fort and your FPS drops, you're out of booze. That FPS drop is your dwarves pathing to the brook. Worse is when your soldiers do it, because the underlings spam pathfinding to catch up to their leader. I've gone from 75 to 20 fps that way, then got it all back once I managed to install three wells in my fortress during a food crisis.
That improves my FPS...some carp ate them all. OH THE BLOOD!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #607 on: December 04, 2009, 03:56:24 pm »

My latest facepalm moment was this one. 

I had embarked on a 3x3 with a magma pipe and an underground pool.  I had built my centrally located circular tower for my Dwarves, and then set about to access the magma pipe.  In Visual Fortress the magma pipe appeared to reach the surface but it was not visible in the game.  I used Stonesense 3-D Visualizer to sneak up on it from the side, then dug a one-tile channel from the top in order to reveal it.  It was visually revealed, but I got no notice.

I spent probably an hour trying to find out what had gone wrong.  I even regenerated the world and embarked over again, touching the fortress site with no utilities at all and digging the channel before I did anything else.  Still the magma pipe was not announced when it was revealed.

Eventually I turned to the forum, and searched for anyone else having the same problem.  I found one thread, and in one of the last posts someone asked the OP if they could build magma furnaces and forges.  If so, they said, don't worry about the missing announcement.

I checked my original fortress, the one which I had looked at with all sorts of utilities, and I could indeed build magma furnaces and forges.  My problem was non-existant after all.  Duh...   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 04, 2009, 04:58:22 pm »

All my dwarfs are half dehydrated because, despite having two stills set up, I somehow forgot to set the brew drink-repeat orders. -_-
You sure you forgot? Check the announcement log for something to the effect of "Urist Mcdrunk cancels brew drink: Needs barrel" or "Needs brewable plant item". That cancels the brew order. Even on repeat. Frequently happens when the stuff they want is being interacted with (read: eaten, moved to a stockpile, etc).
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 04, 2009, 05:16:07 pm »

In my second fort ever I dug down and made a pond for a well much higher up.

But, I forgot to close the floodgate for it, and accidentally flooded my lowest level.  The emergency shut down lever was ON that level, too - so it was flooded and also inaccessible.

I only lost that one level, though.  Nothing particularly valuable was lost, but I'm pretty sure I abandoned anyway.

I'm pretty sure I thought that putting it there was a bad idea... but, IIRC, I decided "it looks cool here, so here it goes".

There was also a time I tunneled very far down with my gate, and my stairs took me pretty much all the way to the edge of the map.  I couldn't expand southwards, so whatever plans I'd had weren't possible.

Other than that I can't recall anything.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 04, 2009, 06:01:18 pm »

Though it might be a good way to kill those damn stonecrafter moods...

Do unsuccessful moods count towards your mood limit (assuming there even is one, I'm a little hazy on the exact factors for getting a mood)?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 04, 2009, 08:31:45 pm »

Though it might be a good way to kill those damn stonecrafter moods...

Do unsuccessful moods count towards your mood limit (assuming there even is one, I'm a little hazy on the exact factors for getting a mood)?

Nope, it will keep rolling until the mood succeeds. Sometimes if you have a large surge of wealth or whatever else, you could get a mood very soon after the previous one fails. The mood roll usually waits until after the current failed mood dwarf dies, but not always.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 04, 2009, 10:16:53 pm »

Modded Talc to melt at 10000 so it would melt in the magma (Dig Deeper apparently made it magma proof). Instantly melted all the talc in the fortress. Fortunately, it just liquified, it didn't the the mass freeze thing I've heard of. It also gave me back about 5 FPS or so, lots of damn talc here.

As a side note, what temperature should I set it to so it melts in the magma, not on the ground?

Edit: and another. Realized somehow I magma dumped the cage with all my young horses and other animals. Scrolling up, there's about 12 "has died in the heat" messages all at once. This fortress is becoming funtm fast.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:13:26 am by Grendus »

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 05, 2009, 03:07:14 am »

As a side note, what temperature should I set it to so it melts in the magma, not on the ground?

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Magma_safe
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Temperature_scale

magma has a temperature of 12,000° in dwarf scale, water freezes/ice melts at 10,000°  in dwarf scale, most stone melts at 11,500° in dwarf scale... dwarf body temp is 10,067°

anything above 10,100° should be fine... that's about 132° Fahrenheit
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 05, 2009, 03:44:29 am »

Was getting tired of having my masons build me chairs, statues and the like out of all sorts of differently colored stone, so I went to the stocks screen and forbid every rock in existence except for the carp-load of gabbro I had lying around.

What I learned soon afterward is that if you forbid all of an instance of stone, say, Felsite, you also forbid EVERY SINGLE BUILDING that's made out of that stone. I was going insane wondering why my recruit's weren't training and my dwarfs weren't working in their workshops before I figured it out.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 729