Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130880 times)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #885 on: January 13, 2010, 05:46:39 am »

I successfully cleared out the underdeep for the first time in my DF career (Thank you, thank you), with my only casualty being a young recruit who was so emotionally scarred by the experience that he was stricken by melancholy.  His many kittens marching into battle with him may have also played a role in the trauma, as well as the victory.  So I'm patting myself on the back and racing against the clock to get him a fancy tomb built before he starves, and in the meantime I decide it would be a good idea to pit the new refugees so their bones are all in a tidy pile when they meet a similar fate.  I also set about deconstructing the various upright pikes and cages I recently acquired.

But what didn't I do?  I didn't actually send my elites down there to clear and secure the orifice, so when my peasants and furnace operators and engravers get down there to clear out the refuse, they bump head-first into the pokey little horror and are decimated.  The A-team quickly arrives on-scene and remedies the situation, but the many deaths and burn victims put my fort a full season behind schedule on the cleanup and resource exploitation, and push me dangerously close to a tantrum spiral in the bargain.

Rule #4:  Double Tap.  Thoroughness is survival.
Rule #1: Cardio. Because in DF it can take years to kill a zombie.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 13, 2010, 11:43:12 am »

Rule #4:  Double Tap.  Thoroughness is survival.
Rule #1: Cardio. Because in DF it can take years to kill a zombie.
Rule #2: Speed. Because those kittens can adopt damn fast.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Knut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 13, 2010, 01:24:12 pm »

This made me facepalm. A 3x3 site, with magma and HFS, and where do I embark?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 13, 2010, 01:29:25 pm »

Got to digging real fast, did ya?

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Knut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 13, 2010, 01:40:35 pm »

Got to digging real fast, did ya?

Not fast enough, the magma men got me.

Well, it was "Fun"

UnicornJesus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Savior of the Unicorns!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #890 on: January 14, 2010, 04:31:29 am »

Just had one:

I notice that I have a couple idle dwarfs, and go to check, because all my dwarfs should be doing something.  One is my mayor, which is understandable, the other, however, is Urist McMiner.  This puzzles me, because I currently have masses of digging designated, and he has no reason to be idle.  So I check to make sure he has mining activated, and has a pick.  He does.  So I figure he'll go dig in a minute and leave him alone.  I check my idle list a couple minutes later, and he's still on it.  So I check his thoughts to see if there's a reason he's not digging.

'Urist McMiner is depressed about being confined.'

Oh right, he's in jail.

Face, meet palm.
[insert witty signature here]

T-Boy

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [ETHIC:CHEATING_EGREGIOUSLY:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 14, 2010, 05:37:23 am »

After building a magma tower, which took years and this building method probably tripled the work involved, I decided to use bridges instead of floors for the water tower. Which involves about a quarter the work, even considering the time factor for building the bridges. So yeah.

BLOODY HELL!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 14, 2010, 09:19:22 am »

but will magma melt the bridges?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 14, 2010, 10:03:40 am »

I finally got a channel to my magma going. I was going to place floodgates and link them up to levers so my miners can dig the last tile. Then I realized I had no bauxite. :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:34:53 am by Jack_Bread »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 14, 2010, 11:31:42 am »

Build an unlinked floodgate, channel the last square stopping the magma out from above, then use the z-level above with channeled holes to power your furnaces / workshops. Works perfectly.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 14, 2010, 11:37:32 am »

I finally got a channel to my magma going. I was going to place floodgates and link them up to levers so my miners can dig the last tile. Then I realized I had no bauxite. :(

You don't need bauxite. Unless you want to be able to close the floodgate again.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 14, 2010, 11:44:23 am »

...right. :o
*facepalm*

sloshmonger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 14, 2010, 01:48:38 pm »

I'd recommend not using masterwork floodgates if they're meant to be disposable, as well.

Yes, I am speaking from experience.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:52 pm »

My first goblin Ambush ever.  I closed up the entrance while my tiny army and the caravan guards fought desperately to survive.

Unfortunately, I didn't like having stones crowding up my stockpiles, and still don't, so I hollowed out a nearby hill and used the silt cave created as a stockpile area.  There was an underground tunnel connecting it to my main fortress.  I accidentally left a spot where the only wall was diagonal.  The goblins waltzed through and into my stockpile chamber, and from there to the rest of the fortress.

70+ dwarves killed by a single ambush.  About ten game-years later I started sending adventurers.  It was a mess, armor and weapons everywhere, giant cave spider in the dining room, sasquatch parts all over, not fun at all.
Shoes...

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 14, 2010, 02:56:42 pm »

70+ dwarves killed by a single ambush.  About ten game-years later I started sending adventurers.  It was a mess, armor and weapons everywhere, giant cave spider in the dining room, sasquatch parts all over, not fun at all.

That sounds like the very definition of dwarven fun.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 729