Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 152

Author Topic: Prospector, a roguelike in development  (Read 275581 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Prospector, a roguelike in development
« Reply #1335 on: June 17, 2010, 07:08:48 pm »

Wars (both land and space) would also be interesting.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 17, 2010, 10:34:17 pm »

Also, are you eventually planning on creating a dynamic trading system? Such as the more stuff a station has, the cheaper it is? Perhaps stations create the more advanced goods, and planets create the simple goods, like food? So you could run trade routes from planets to stations, but not indefinately, and you would have competition fromm regular merchants.

This gets asked quite regularly, and always makes me go ???
Supply and demand. Yeah. Thats how prices are set. Have been set like that from ... erm... when I first put "Trading" into the space station menu.
Now, What am I supposed to do again? ;)
Prospector, my space exploration roguelike:
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 17, 2010, 11:17:26 pm »

After you put in [BEEP BOoP SECRET STUFF MAGELLAN TOLD ME IN A PM SO HE MIGHT WANT/NOT WANT TO TELL IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT SPOILER THE NEW UPDATE] try and put in the wars happening like random events, and stations could be captured. These stations would act like they would if you're banned from a station if you try to enter (ie. DEATH) and the Aliens/humans use pathfinding to attack enemy stations/planets and capture them, before you put in [BEEP BOoP SECRET STUFF MAGELLAN TOLD ME IN A PM SO HE MIGHT WANT/NOT WANT TO TELL IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT SPOILER THE NEW UPDATE].

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 17, 2010, 11:20:43 pm »

Or, even add in a station fight. Imagine: You attack a station with allies, trying to size the control room. In your way are doors, walls, vacuum, and a butt load of guys. That would surely be fun.

Oh, and be sure to add lots of destructible objects. Gotta have them.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 17, 2010, 11:53:18 pm »

Also, are you eventually planning on creating a dynamic trading system? Such as the more stuff a station has, the cheaper it is? Perhaps stations create the more advanced goods, and planets create the simple goods, like food? So you could run trade routes from planets to stations, but not indefinately, and you would have competition fromm regular merchants.

Supply and demand. Yeah. Thats how prices are set. Have been set like that from ... erm... when I first put "Trading" into the space station menu.

Really? I guess I never noticed it. It seems like all the stations have the same priced goods....of course, I havent really bothered with the trading direction.

Also, I noticed an exploit. While its certainly not fun.....its still an exploit. Basically, when you press that one button(I forget :P) to "pass" a turn, your mining robots mine. But you use no fuel. Or 02 if your on land. So, basically you could get infinate money using mining drones if you got an hour.

[This may already be in and I havent noticed]

Perhaps mining robots should eventualy exhaust an area of minerals, and have to be moved.  Eventually,  the entire planet surface will be strip mined, and you will have to move your bots to another area. To take it a step further, perhaps certain areas are more rich in minerals, and are mined faster. You would detect these with a new device, like a "analizer", which would cost like, say, 2k?. Then it would work with the inspect command, informing you of deposits.

Finely, it be cool if you could pick the map size. Large sectors, small sectors, so on.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #1340 on: June 18, 2010, 06:38:16 am »

Hello! Haven't been here in a while so there are a ton of pages that I have no time to catch up with! :P

Anyhow a quick search didn't bring it up, though I thought I reported a bug (at least I think it's a bug) about this before.

I've got a really great pirate game going again (always playing pirate, just can't get enough of it!) and I ran into the problem that one of my last good pirate games had.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but all of a sudden there are no merchant lines anywhere to be found. My old hotspots are dead, and I can't seem to find any traffic anywhere.
Well besides maybe
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Has anyone else playing pirates run into this problem?

It's such a bad time too because I finally have my ship upgraded, staffed up, and armed with
that I want to give a try with!

One of my hunches is that it has something to do with docking with

Anyhow I'll send the savefile too, if you want to take a look at it. :)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 18, 2010, 01:38:55 pm »

This is broken on the pirate planets, I'm not sure about the station. It only updates prices on save load. I consider these a feature becasue otherwise the pirate prices get nuked into oblivion by the players continual selling. If there was a way to move goods from a pirate planet into the legal trade route, such as cargo laundering at a colony, this might not be a problem.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 18, 2010, 01:52:36 pm »

AI traders/smugglers should do it, it would solve the issue I think.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 11, 2010, 02:07:45 am »

Sad bump :/
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 11, 2010, 02:34:29 am »

Sad bump :/

What? don't be sad, be happy!

If only the doctors came with anti-depressant skills

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 11, 2010, 11:24:56 am »

There is an unannounced, sorta preview version, with not everything working 100%:
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/downloads/list
I hope to turn it into non-preview by the end of the week (Mainly depending on the heat. Makes my brains dribble out the ears, and thats always such a mess, it keeps me busy cleaning up the place)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 11, 2010, 03:43:28 pm »

What does the new preview have in it?

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: July 11, 2010, 07:02:52 pm »

The main new thing is alien spacefaring civilisations.
+ some miscelaneous small stuff.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: July 11, 2010, 07:26:51 pm »

Bug: When exchanging ships (on planet when you repair a ship) if you leave the planet and come back your old ship will be the same type of ship you just repaired. This happened when I exchanged my Scout for a Heavy Explorer (Yep, I was that damn lucky), my Scout turned into a Heavy Explorer.

Also:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:09:43 pm by Tarran »

magellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: July 11, 2010, 09:21:26 pm »

Oh? Oh! Good point! If you change the tile according to the players hull, you should use the old hull, not the new one *slaps forehead*
thanks

And yes, that is their standard armament. Whats wrong with it? (Those are not the new space faring aliens. The new ones are a bit more varied as to ship design, weapons, and fleet composition)
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 152