Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1339 1340 [1341] 1342 1343 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2370337 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20100 on: August 22, 2016, 10:09:24 pm »

I didn't know the game differentiated between those.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20101 on: August 23, 2016, 03:30:06 am »

I don't think it does, you can extremely easily mod the game so you place dirt/stone with another id than spawned dirt/stone though.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20102 on: August 23, 2016, 04:48:24 am »

well, as long as you're fine with not using any other mods

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20103 on: August 23, 2016, 05:13:56 am »

Taint in Thaumcraft kind of does this, while also causing enemies to spawn regardless of proximity or light level, but it only affects certain vanilla blocks. You could build walls with bricks to prevent it spreading and use slabs to prevent monster spawning.

Really, given the quirk about half-blocks (among other conditions) not being valid for spawning, I'm not sure your intended goal is actually possible. Well, I suppose it could include ways to circumvent those vanilla methods (the redstone could 'infect' slabs, changing them into a different block which then decay), but anyone who didn't want that challenge would just build with blocks from other mods (botania's pavement, for example).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20104 on: August 23, 2016, 05:29:37 am »

well, as long as you're fine with not using any other mods

The ore dictionary is a thing of utter beauty.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20105 on: August 23, 2016, 11:55:41 am »

Try playing on a PvP server? That's probably as dangerous as the game can get.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20106 on: August 23, 2016, 05:54:14 pm »

I don't think it does, you can extremely easily mod the game so you place dirt/stone with another id than spawned dirt/stone though.

I recall experiencing features where blocks that were generated naturally acted differently than blocks that you placed yourself. Are you sure it doesn't differentiate between the two? I also think you could make it so the game compared a chunk with it's natural state, and mark all the blocks that are different as player placed.

Taint in Thaumcraft kind of does this, while also causing enemies to spawn regardless of proximity or light level, but it only affects certain vanilla blocks. You could build walls with bricks to prevent it spreading and use slabs to prevent monster spawning.

Really, given the quirk about half-blocks (among other conditions) not being valid for spawning, I'm not sure your intended goal is actually possible. Well, I suppose it could include ways to circumvent those vanilla methods (the redstone could 'infect' slabs, changing them into a different block which then decay), but anyone who didn't want that challenge would just build with blocks from other mods (botania's pavement, for example).

Yep I was hoping thaumcraft would scratch my itch but it's just too slow. You have to be close to taint for it to spread and the taint you generate is too little to affect your surroundings in any meaningful way.

Try playing on a PvP server? That's probably as dangerous as the game can get.
No thanks, I don't need a bunch of x-ray using assholes digging straight lines to my hidden chests and then the admin going "he probably got lucky".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20107 on: August 23, 2016, 06:45:47 pm »

You're thinking of endermen, who won't pick up blocks that are only placeable by the player, not blocks that were not placed by the player.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20108 on: August 23, 2016, 06:51:59 pm »

Yeah as far as I am aware there is no difference between for example a dirt block placed by the player and one generated 'naturally'. The ONLY instance of that I know of is that the wiki claims "Player-placed leaf blocks will never decay".

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20109 on: August 23, 2016, 06:55:37 pm »

What about that one modpack with Thaumcraft where the entire world is taint?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20110 on: August 23, 2016, 06:59:46 pm »

You're thinking of endermen, who won't pick up blocks that are only placeable by the player, not blocks that were not placed by the player.
...But don't they pick up TNT? Or was that just original endermen. I forget.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20111 on: August 23, 2016, 07:38:03 pm »

What about that one modpack with Thaumcraft where the entire world is taint?

That would be my other criticism of the thaumcraft taint. Not aggressive enough. That modpack is just a grind to get rid of the taint.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20112 on: August 24, 2016, 04:47:34 am »

Man, I started playing Blightfall because of this discussion and now I don't want to go to work. I mean, I don't want to go to work on the best of days, but for now I'd actually have something to do if I didn't.

Have to be careful not to spoil myself about it, too.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:02:56 am by Niveras »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20113 on: August 24, 2016, 07:45:25 am »

Man, I started playing Blightfall because of this discussion and now I don't want to go to work. I mean, I don't want to go to work on the best of days, but for now I'd actually have something to do if I didn't.

It is a very fun little pack. Sadly there's a really simple trick you can use to remove any danger the taint might pose to your base.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20114 on: August 24, 2016, 03:34:16 pm »

It is a very fun little pack. Sadly there's a really simple trick you can use to remove any danger the taint might pose to your base.

Would that trick happen to be a 2 block high wall?
Pages: 1 ... 1339 1340 [1341] 1342 1343 ... 1380