How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270347 times)

tmountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #540 on: September 17, 2009, 10:36:36 am »

I downloaded the copy of github, and it works great. This is awesome.

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #541 on: September 19, 2009, 02:49:12 pm »

I have to say I miss being able to set the grid size.

What I did in 40d11 was use Mayday's graphic pack, set the Windowed resolution to 1024x768, and the grid to 64:48. I'm not exactly sure what the game did then since the minimum grid is 80, but in any case, this allowed me to play at 1024x768 just fine and it looked just as good.

Now, if I want it to fill the window, I need to play at 1024x320 which is way too short, or 1280x1024, which is way too big. If I set it to 1024x768, I get the ugly big black boarders on the top and bottom as the game centers.

I'm having a lot of trouble wrapping my mind around the mechanics to try and get a good 1024x768 screen while still using Mayday's font which has served me well so far. Any ideas?

Nevermind. Turning off blackspace seems to work just fine.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:53:14 pm by Razoric480 »

personjerry

• Bay Watcher
  • Big Towers = Fun Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 19, 2009, 03:23:47 pm »

EDIT: Found a fix... very strange, it works if I just run using this command:

./df ./libs
Now that's strange. It should make absolutely no difference.

Does it work if you specify some other directory? An arbitrary different directory? A nonexistent directory?

Anyway, I'm working on adding extra logging to DF so we can figure out why it's failing, for those of you having crashes. Might take a week or two.

sorry it took so long to respond, i'm forgetful xD

I gave up again after it started segfaulting when starting a fort :( guess it's back to 40d15 for me

WAIT, EDIT: the answer to the questions are: (the first two are the same?) yes, and yes. In fact, it seems to only segfault sometimes if i use ./df by it self
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:27:42 pm by personjerry »
SPOILER ALERT
Build a Trade Depot anywhere on the map.  now hold Shift+D (Depot access display) while viewing a Z-level that has been completely untouched by miners.  All 'normal' stone areas will have big red D's all over them.  Any area with *any* sort of site feature will be blank (no D's). 

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 19, 2009, 05:56:42 pm »

Quote from: DF0.28.181.40d16
I can't handle a window like this. Get a grip.
:D Though, it only triggers on a wide, squat window- it'll happily go down to minimum width with just the power-of-2 warning.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 19, 2009, 08:14:43 pm »

I have thusfar done only the barest minimum of testing, and am about to embark on getting my tilesets and so forth back in order for this version, but I have to say I love the window interaction and the significant reduction in processor use.  I'm going to try to import my old fortress in as well.

Thanks for this!

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 20, 2009, 09:36:03 am »

I've recently bought a new computer and monitor.

I'm now running my screen size at 1920*1080

DF d16 does run. But only a small bit of the top left of the screen is used to show the dwarf fortress screen in.
I've tried a few things and searched trough half this thread but have been unable to find a way to force it in full screen.

So now I'm asking for help.

Bandobras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 20, 2009, 09:36:57 am »

Succes report for 40d16 downloaded from here on os x 10.3.9
(kept only for DF, otherwise I'd switch to Linux completely) on a 1 GB
PowerPC Mac Mini with 32MB Radeon 9200 running at 1920x1080
(so any full screen window takes 2 times graphics card memory :> ).
A dozen hours of gameplay with no problems, 20x20 ASCII tileset,
windowed mode, almost full screen window size, 13 FPS
on a 10x7 volcano map.

Version 40d was OK with 80x25 screen, but totally unplayable
with a few times bigger grid. In particular, even after pausing the game,
it still made my Mac whine like an airplane and other applications
reacted slowly.

When I find the time (which may take a while) I'll try compiling
this on PowerPC Ubuntu Linux (if that's possible --- please tell me).
I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot for your work!

P.S. My init.txt file, in case it helps with anybody's problems:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:45:39 am by Bandobras »

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 20, 2009, 10:33:45 am »

When I find the time (which may take a while) I'll try compiling
this on PowerPC Ubuntu Linux (if that's possible --- please tell me).
I'll let you know.

Technically possible, but it would require Toady to compile a Linux PPC binary. The source available is for libgraphics.so; the graphical interface stuff, all DF game code lives in dwarfort.exe, which is a 32 bit x86 Linux binary.

Bandobras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 20, 2009, 01:42:29 pm »

Technically possible, but it would require Toady to compile a Linux PPC binary. The source available is for libgraphics.so; the graphical interface stuff, all DF game code lives in dwarfort.exe, which is a 32 bit x86 Linux binary.

Oh, if the source is still closed, then probably not worth the effort, since PPC is dying, except perhaps if it would also run on PlayStation3. :)

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 20, 2009, 03:05:25 pm »

I've recently bought a new computer and monitor.

I'm now running my screen size at 1920*1080

DF d16 does run. But only a small bit of the top left of the screen is used to show the dwarf fortress screen in.
I've tried a few things and searched trough half this thread but have been unable to find a way to force it in full screen.

So now I'm asking for help.

You likely just need to zoom in closer.  Mouse scroll bar is one way to do this.  I am not sure of others.

Seems once I got all my tilesets and graphics set up it zooms to max automatically, so if you use the graphics setting in the init file, if my guess is right, you can stop worrying about zoom.

I am sure I will be corrected shortly.

(Correction.  Zoom still works even after graphics.  Just once you are zoomed in, if you use one of these goofy laptop pads like I do, accidental zooming is not going to happen a lot)

Also, for comparison, I have a 92 dwarf Fortress here with no running water or magma, which used to hover around 15 fps that now performs around 40 fps pretty consistently, dipping down to the 30's from time to time for reasons I am not entirely sure of. 

Pentium dual CPU t3200 @ 2,00 Ghz, 2 G memory, running Vista (meaning really only one G memory).  HP laptop.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 03:13:32 pm by Durin »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 21, 2009, 12:58:48 pm »

Oh, if the source is still closed, then probably not worth the effort, since PPC is dying, except perhaps if it would also run on PlayStation3. :)
I have a PS3 and I love it... but with current programming technology and programming practices, DF would be pretty bad on the system.... that being said, I'd love to have DF (properly tweaked to the Cell) on my PS3, but I don't see it happening. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 22, 2009, 02:39:55 pm »

d16 is much faster than 40d for me (40d is actually bugged for me. Slows to 10-20 when on screen, runs 80 off screen. d16 runs 80 off screen. Has dropped though, with immigration).

Except that d16 crashes for me... twice now I think.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 24, 2009, 08:41:58 am »

I'm having trouble setting a higher FPS on d16.  I'll have it set in the init.txt for FPS_CAP:120 and G_FPS_CAP:60 but it will never go over 100 FPS.  Should I try setting the VSYNC to DEFAULT?

Other than that I haven't had any real issues.  It crashed on me once, but it was right after it SEASONAL saved.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 24, 2009, 09:49:57 am »

Windows?, Mac?, Linux?

salttotart:
try a small flat embark with no water, magma or chasm. If that don't work try the default init.txt with only show fps and fps_cap changed. I seem to remember Baughn saying not to change g_fps_cap because the name doesn't mean what you think it should

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 24, 2009, 02:32:30 pm »

Windows.

Yea, I lowered the G_FPS_CAP and it works wonders on my desktop copy of 40d16.  However, my laptop version is still crappy as hell.  Apparently 2.1 GHz DC is too slow to handle 6x6 Dwarf Heaven with 35 Dwarves, and 44 other animals. 

Off topic: Anyone have a similar speed who can tell me a suitable sized embark?
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 64