Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10786 10787 [10788] 10789 10790 ... 13317

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15015666 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi] The deadly game of poi (Happy thread? Poi! B.. Baka!)
« Reply #161805 on: August 23, 2015, 12:26:17 pm »

Don't fret about it. It's generally pretty toneless to show off one's sharp wit on the Internet. You coda post something meaningful instead of shitposting. But what's the point of that?

You almost had a treble-pun post. Almost. You just quavered a bit at the end there.

Learned what in blazes a time signature is in music.

Bassic stuff, I know, but I'm at a less-than-basic level, so it's an achievement :P

So you're gonna be dropping some 23/16 beats for us soon? :P
Well, I've mastered 3/4 and 4/4, so.... how soon is soon? :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #161806 on: August 23, 2015, 01:17:41 pm »

Don't fret about it. It's generally pretty toneless to show off one's sharp wit on the Internet. You coda post something meaningful instead of shitposting. But what's the point of that?

You almost had a treble-pun post. Almost. You just quavered a bit at the end there.

Bassic stuff, I know, but I'm at a less-than-basic level, so it's an achievement :P

3/4 and 4/4 are about it (excluding some 8th-note shenanigans) for the transition from early to middle game stages of playing, but it varies per instrument. Once you stop playing guided arrangements, things quickly jump to weirdom.

This is in my experience, though, and I forgot a lot.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:19:21 pm by Laptisen »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #161807 on: August 23, 2015, 01:19:31 pm »

Music-savvy people are free to correct me since I self-taught myself theory and feel too lazy to check right now, but IIRC sixteenth note time is normally accented the same as quarter-note time, so 23/16 is five bars of standard 4/4 followed by a bar of 3/4. Matter of fact, I think Golden Brown is 23/16 in that exact way.

As a rule, time notation is written for convenience. Things like Tool's Schism's infamous 6.5/8 rhythm are mostly posturing - it can be analysed and played as a bar of 6/8 followed by a bar of 7/8 (and especially in this example, it's basically a line repeated twice with an additional note at the end of the even repetition).

The biggest difference is that /4s are usually assumed to be accented on every third note, like 4/4 (ONE-two-three-four) whereas /8s are accented on every fourth note, like 6/8 (ONE-two-three,TWO-two-three) but that's mostly because anything EXCEPT 4/4 and 6/8 is vile prog/jazz heresy in popular music.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161808 on: August 23, 2015, 01:21:01 pm »

All you need is syncopation. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161809 on: August 23, 2015, 01:24:20 pm »

I thought it was most common with 4/4 to simply stress the first note?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161810 on: August 23, 2015, 01:28:31 pm »

Who cares? When in doubt, syncopate.

* Yoink strokes wildly upon a passing piano, producing a jazzy tune seemingly by pure chance.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #161811 on: August 23, 2015, 01:29:29 pm »

Music-savvy people are free to correct me since I self-taught myself theory and feel too lazy to check right now, but IIRC sixteenth note time is normally accented the same as quarter-note time, so 23/16 is five bars of standard 4/4 followed by a bar of 3/4. Matter of fact, I think Golden Brown is 23/16 in that exact way.

As a rule, time notation is written for convenience. Things like Tool's Schism's infamous 6.5/8 rhythm are mostly posturing - it can be analysed and played as a bar of 6/8 followed by a bar of 7/8 (and especially in this example, it's basically a line repeated twice with an additional note at the end of the even repetition).

Interesting. I've been playing music for a while (but have not taught myself music theory, which is something I need to at least start on) but are these quirky signatures rather common in contemporary pieces? The few classical composers I know the works of tend to apply an entirely time signature for a certain bar, as in starting the song in 4/4 but changing the time signature per bar when needed.

And jazz time signatures are to be taken with a grain of salt, in my experience. Adding 'jazz' is a personal effort.

In pieces or counting?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #161812 on: August 23, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »

3/4 and 4/4 are about it (excluding some 8th-note shenanigans) for the transition from early to middle game stages of playing, but it varies per instrument. Once you stop playing guided arrangements, things quickly jump to weirdom.

This is in my experience, though, and I forgot a lot.

There are also things like 2/2 that (as far as I know) just change the accenting but can basically be played as 4/4.

Usually first and third, but you could get away with just the first.

What instrument are you learning, out of curiosity?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #161813 on: August 23, 2015, 01:37:58 pm »

The third is a weaker accent, that's why I left it bolded by uncapitalized. It doesn't have to be audible, but the pulse is there.

Like I said, the accent stuff is not a hard rule. That's why certain time signatures can be considered equivalent - 6/8, for example, can be treated as 2/4 played in triplets or conversely a 2/4 can be treated as a 6/8 with some notes skipped, so you can have one instrument play a 2/4 over a 6/8 of another and it will be in time.

Matter of fact, you probably already heard an example of that - an experimental neoclassical post-punkressive art jazz song known as 'Carol of the Bells'.

@Laptisen - jazz swinging can actually be very cleverly analyzed as playing triplets and skipping the middle note in each group of three.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161814 on: August 23, 2015, 01:39:15 pm »

Piano and guitar.

Err, well, getting lessons in guitar, trying to self-teach myself on the family piano, and learning as much music theory as I can on the side.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #161815 on: August 23, 2015, 01:46:36 pm »

@Laptisen - jazz swinging can actually be very cleverly analyzed as playing triplets and skipping the middle note in each group of three.

but das contextual

It's implies the swing for most works, but for pieces with low BPM (or whatever artists use for a standard now) it won't reach the desired rhythm. Nonetheless, I see what you mean and I agree, considering that swing pieces are, well, swing pieces and tend to go fast.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161816 on: August 23, 2015, 02:03:24 pm »

We're taking a day to drive instead of hike. Got a little extra sleep too, and destination might even have actual WiFi instead of barely present 3g.
Sunburns: recovering
Feet: less achy
Random Montana town: surprisingly good 3g, too bad we're passing through

Also we're only hiking tomorrow and the next day, then on our way home. I've had an amazing time, this place is beautiful, and I feel way better about my fitness. But oh my gaia I want to curl up at home and catch up with work.

Also happy that it rained Friday night, which cleared the smoke clouds yesterday. Got another good look at the vistas. So many pics to post, but not till I'm home.

Almost accidentally into Descanland but had to turn around (no passport :( ).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #161817 on: August 23, 2015, 02:11:51 pm »

but das contextual

It's implies the swing for most works, but for pieces with low BPM (or whatever artists use for a standard now) it won't reach the desired rhythm. Nonetheless, I see what you mean and I agree, considering that swing pieces are, well, swing pieces and tend to go fast.
I'd make a thread for that kinda talk, but I suspect it'd be rather ephemeral.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #161818 on: August 23, 2015, 03:14:14 pm »

Just back from the coast, went to the restaurant (at the coast) my friend works at and had a chat with him (for the first time since the start of the summer vacation, damn conflicting schedules).

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161819 on: August 23, 2015, 03:21:26 pm »

Remember guys, some people hate the pun wars, so play it by ear, 'k?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 10786 10787 [10788] 10789 10790 ... 13317