Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4474 4475 [4476] 4477 4478 ... 13316

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15001776 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] Things fish did to fish while fish in the fish fish (Happy Thread)
« Reply #67125 on: December 02, 2011, 08:23:29 pm »

18th Birthday!  Only I guess between visiting university, calls to grandparents, party and playing MW3 with a friend I managed to completely miss it on Bay 12, since it's now 1 o clock the day after.  Nevermind, I can still totally vote, buy matches, buy knives etc.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] Things fish did to fish while fish in the fish fish (Happy Thread)
« Reply #67126 on: December 02, 2011, 08:37:10 pm »

I've got a belly full of food, a car full of gas (and furniture that I will be moving into this apartment soon, even if it is all cheap plastic crap), a mug full of wine, bills full of paid, and a bank account that has somehow accommodated all of this without leaving the state of being full of money. A clever reader might notice a trend in things that have made me happy today.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67127 on: December 02, 2011, 09:20:47 pm »

The Jack Russel resemblance is just the haircut.  Her hair's normally really long and I think Aqizzar was probably right, some kind of Papillon mix.

I see that you can tell that I'm not a dog person. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67128 on: December 02, 2011, 09:29:55 pm »

I've got a belly full of food, a car full of gas (and furniture that I will be moving into this apartment soon, even if it is all cheap plastic crap), a mug full of wine, bills full of paid, and a bank account that has somehow accommodated all of this without leaving the state of being full of money. A clever reader might notice a trend in things that have made me happy today.
Your belly, car, mug, bills, bank. They all have one vowel*!
Who's a genius? I'm a genius.

*shut up about the Y in "belly" it's not a real vowel.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #67129 on: December 02, 2011, 09:30:22 pm »

After making a post in the WTF thread, I had an urge to look around and see if there's anything new going on in the Starcon 2 front.

Well:
A mod of a faux-sequel to the game is in the works, and a demo just recently got released: Link
Found a bunch of more recent fan art of the game: Link
Oh yeah, and Ur-Quan Masters has updated to version 0.7 since this summer: Link

There goes a big chunk of my time now. Now I wanna play it again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:46:00 pm by Itnetlolor »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #67130 on: December 02, 2011, 09:47:21 pm »

18th Birthday!  Only I guess between visiting university, calls to grandparents, party and playing MW3 with a friend I managed to completely miss it on Bay 12, since it's now 1 o clock the day after.  Nevermind, I can still totally vote, buy matches, buy knives etc.

Happy belated birthday!
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #67132 on: December 02, 2011, 10:34:50 pm »

Angry at the government? LET LOOSE THE SNAKES
That's what we should do in the U.S.

Just walk into congress and throw snakes everywhere.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67133 on: December 02, 2011, 10:43:36 pm »

I've come into possession of a pizza. It is good.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #67134 on: December 03, 2011, 12:09:54 am »

Uuuuugh.  As much as I trumpet the whole "Western Feudalism is cooler than Japanese Feudalism" thing, I'm not sure I actually feel that way.

While I definitely don't like anime, and all of the stuff that entails, there's something about heavily romanticized feudal Japan that's really cool.  Western medieval stuff is still awesome, and I'd still take a western sword over a katana in most situations (Ha.  That's a joke.  If the person I"m fighting is stronger than Justin Bieber it won't matter what weapon I use), it's cool.  The duels, the way they act, it's all cool.  I think I might even not hate katanas.  I'm no fanboy, but I can accept that it has its strengths (Namely, ridiculous sharpness and shearing ability against unarmed targets, with the tradeoff being uselessness against plate armor and prone to snapping in half).

Jeez.  Why am I putting this in the sad thread?  Maybe because I'm finally starting to get rid of all that "If I say I hate everything I like people won't think I'm a nerd" doublethink I have.  Who knows.

I think it's a little easier to swallow the Bushido pill than the Chivalry pill.  Something about samurai makes the romanticized image more believable than the equivalent Western image.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:17:04 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67135 on: December 03, 2011, 12:17:10 am »

there's something about heavily romanticized feudal Japan that's really cool.

Fuck yes there is.

There is a whole lot of other media Japans pumps out, no need to go for the stuff considered weird even in the countries it originates in. Samurai are still unbelievably cool.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #67136 on: December 03, 2011, 12:23:38 am »

Spoiler: Big screenshot (click to show/hide)

A big day playing with my friends with the new terraria 1.1 content, and we ended up with a pretty cool place. Really fun, I hope we can continue tomorrow. .3
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #67137 on: December 03, 2011, 12:38:59 am »

Don't know exactly how accurate all of it is, but Shogun is a great show.  I love how it shows both the romantic and ugly aspects of Japanese feudalism.

And the Japanese concept of honor just... clicks with me.  While I find both sides fun and interesting (my whole life has been heavily influenced by Tolkien, after all), I definitely feel something more noble about the Japanese side.  Maybe it's the difference in religious cultural influence.  Eastern religions (especially zen) seem to focus on recognizing the value of and maximizing the experience of the present, which I think is why everything about their general outlook on life feels so full of vitality.  Western religion, on the other hand, tended to make people hate themselves and want to kill each other.  Maybe I'm full of shit, because I'm not exactly a scholar on these subjects... but these are my impressions based on what I've been exposed to.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67138 on: December 03, 2011, 12:51:16 am »

Seven Samurai is still one of my favorite films. It's one of those movies that genuinely deserves being put on all those "best movies of all time" lists.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67139 on: December 03, 2011, 12:55:28 am »

Pretty much all of his movies are genuine classics~
My favourite, and one everybody should watch is Ikiru~
Not feudal Japan, nor does it have Toshiro Mifune, but it's easily one of his most emotional films and everything about it is perfect~
Hell, it's got a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes~
Pages: 1 ... 4474 4475 [4476] 4477 4478 ... 13316