Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22

Author Topic: Conservative Crime Squad  (Read 49292 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Conservative Crime Squad
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2009, 06:12:11 pm »

Seeing as how one goal of LCS was to allow a moderate military coup occur if violence escalated too far, why not allow the EU/UN invade if political violence stays near max for more than a year ala Shattered Union?

Then, the CCS needs to destroy the will of the EU/UN (in much the same way that the Taliban/Al Quida ruined the will of the United States to fight) as an additional requirement for victory.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2009, 02:55:04 am »

Gadzooks, what is happening to LCS?

I think everyone brainstorming about CCS needs to take a step back and think about why LCS is funny.

LCS is funny because they're liberal terrorists.  And liberal terrorist is an oxymoron.  Yes, there are tons of left wing terrorists, but precious few liberals in the LCS sense.  The liberal agenda was written by waffling intellectuals, it's full of contradictions and caveats and I would challenge you to find two liberals in the country who are in complete agreement politically.  That's not an agenda that is likely to inspire a dogmatic, disciplined, ruthless army of killers, neh?  The LCS contridicts itself in it's every action, they kill for gun control, they drive cars to attack auto plants, they use terrorism against the media in support of free speech.  There is no Bible of Liberalism, no dogma, they're true believers without a belief.  At it's core, the LCS is a walking contradiction and that's why it can be satire.

This formula does not apply naturally to conservatism.  There is no contradiction to using violence to defend the right to bear arms, the using dogmatism in support of religion, to silencing the opposition in favor of censorship.  There's nothing funny in these things, because there's no contradiction.

If you want to make a CCS, then you need to come up with a similarly absurd conservative agenda.  LCS liberalism proudly bears nonsensical caricatures of the right wing.  A conservative agenda would need to be put together more artfully, because the satire is less self-evident.

I should wrap this up and get to sleep, but in a nutshell, if you make a game where CCS patriots fight for a flat tax, it won't be funny, it will be obnoxious.  What you need is to make a game where CCS working stiff's without highschool diploma's are fighting to reduce the tax burdens of millionaires, and convey that in a snappy format.  And you probably also need to find a way to use pacifism in the service of violence and come up with jokes about people who are intolerant against even themselves (without brushing reality too closely...)  CCS ain't as straightforward as LCS.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2009, 06:12:58 am »

Gadzooks, what is happening to LCS?

I think everyone brainstorming about CCS needs to take a step back and think about why LCS is funny.

LCS is funny because they're liberal terrorists.  And liberal terrorist is an oxymoron.  Yes, there are tons of left wing terrorists, but precious few liberals in the LCS sense.  The liberal agenda was written by waffling intellectuals, it's full of contradictions and caveats and I would challenge you to find two liberals in the country who are in complete agreement politically.  That's not an agenda that is likely to inspire a dogmatic, disciplined, ruthless army of killers, neh?  The LCS contridicts itself in it's every action, they kill for gun control, they drive cars to attack auto plants, they use terrorism against the media in support of free speech.  There is no Bible of Liberalism, no dogma, they're true believers without a belief.  At it's core, the LCS is a walking contradiction and that's why it can be satire.

This formula does not apply naturally to conservatism.  There is no contradiction to using violence to defend the right to bear arms, the using dogmatism in support of religion, to silencing the opposition in favor of censorship.  There's nothing funny in these things, because there's no contradiction.

If you want to make a CCS, then you need to come up with a similarly absurd conservative agenda.  LCS liberalism proudly bears nonsensical caricatures of the right wing.  A conservative agenda would need to be put together more artfully, because the satire is less self-evident.

I should wrap this up and get to sleep, but in a nutshell, if you make a game where CCS patriots fight for a flat tax, it won't be funny, it will be obnoxious.  What you need is to make a game where CCS working stiff's without highschool diploma's are fighting to reduce the tax burdens of millionaires, and convey that in a snappy format.  And you probably also need to find a way to use pacifism in the service of violence and come up with jokes about people who are intolerant against even themselves (without brushing reality too closely...)  CCS ain't as straightforward as LCS.

This is an excellent post. You have raised the quality of the internet slightly.
EDIT: I'm not being sarcastic, just rare internet praise.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2009, 11:20:20 am »

I should wrap this up and get to sleep, but in a nutshell, if you make a game where CCS patriots fight for a flat tax, it won't be funny, it will be obnoxious.  What you need is to make a game where CCS working stiff's without highschool diploma's are fighting to reduce the tax burdens of millionaires, and convey that in a snappy format.

C+: The United States reward innovation via tax breaks.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2009, 05:11:59 pm »

Uh, that's true at M and L+ too...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2009, 05:39:19 pm »

Why would L+ reward "innovation"? At all? Companies who "innovate" ends up making lots of money, and and L+ tax policy is focused on trying to promote income equality, not allowing for Conservative inequality. So, L+ wouldn't reward "innovation" by providing tax loopholes to corporations to allow them to perpertuate the class system. That would be Corporate Welfare, a C+ position.

I'm trying my best to meet your satire qualification, by the way.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2009, 06:03:43 pm »

If by "innovation" you mean "ruthless exploitation", then I get what you are getting at.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2009, 06:37:24 pm »

Satire, maniac. As SC suggested, C+ would be corporate welfare dressed up as rugged individualism by heroic Galtlike entrepreneurs. C+ in a CCS world would be utopian, not dystopian.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2009, 06:48:43 pm »

Yeah, that's right, my only problem is that it wasn't obvious he was going for sarcasm in his statement.  That's the problem with the CCS, it's harder to take unseriously.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2009, 07:32:34 pm »

I do most sincerely concur on that last point. Alas.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2009, 10:22:56 am »

I'll sum up what I think we all agree on:
-CCS should be funny
-The conservatives should be fighting for a utopia fitting within C+ ideals, and portray that utopia in a staggeringly positive light.
--Said utopia should be completely unrealistic once looked at carefully.
-The liberals should be portrayed as insane monstrous commies stiffling all incentives to put effort into work.
-The hardest part to get right programme-wise is going to be the issues.

If we can get a list like that agreed upon, we can work on a unified list of issues. The discussion is running around in circles right now, so I thought I'd point it towards a next waypoint.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:34:54 pm by Aldaris »
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2009, 11:29:59 am »

We'll still waiting for Ronin to release something though.

The main problem I see is that the LCS's L+ laws aren't exactly unrealistic utopian satires.

"Animal tesing is prohibited."

"There are police elections."

"Elections are done via electoral lists and proporational votes."

"The United States promote civil liberites."

Oh boy, I'm laughing my socks off. Earlier versions of the game did have some rather strange stuff like "Animals are people too", but that has been removed after it is concluded that giving animals the same status of people is too liberal for the L+ to consider. Police elections seem rather strange, but I put that down to less people considering the issue, rather than it actually being a deconstruction.

Really, that's what I was aiming for with my "innovation" statement, really. It doesn't seem funny at all, it only seems funny when you 'deconstruct' it and take the law to its illogical conclusion, but at the face of it, it is not insane. But I highly doubt that you can 'deconstruct' L+ ideals.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:35:53 am by Servant Corps »

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2009, 12:34:21 pm »

Damn, that whole point was based on the L+ 'Animals are people too. '
I'll edit that.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2009, 01:27:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure that L+ animals are people too.  And I'd say that police elections for ALL positions are pretty damn unrealistic.

But I'd argue that the more important thing isn't how left-wing the LCS is.  The important thing is that their agenda is not something you'd expect people to fight for.  Consider gay marriage for example.  Many people consider the difference between L gay civil unions and L+ gay marriage to be very important.  But how many people would be willing to kill for that difference?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2009, 06:33:05 pm »

But how many people would be willing to kill for that difference?
Lots.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22