Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 48908 times)

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2009, 08:29:41 am »

ive got 2 different start profiles.

One geared towards 6 miners and 1 trader and one geared towards all woodcutters and 1 trader.

wichever mood strikes me. im prepared for.

This must cost you a lot of dwarfbuck in copper axes on embark. Wait, you don't take the anvil, do you?

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Hi world!

Hey, I love fishsticks! errr, I mean... You know.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2009, 09:15:26 am »

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Hi world!

Hey, I love fishsticks! errr, I mean... You know.
Ya I know, in your mouth right?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:17:32 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2009, 12:39:48 pm »

No no, it's NOT a penis joke!

On the Elder Scrolls forum, it's customary to welcome new members by giving them a fishy stick. I'm just bringing that tradition here.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2009, 12:53:17 pm »

You know, that counts as eccentric behaviour, so it fits in perfectly at this thread. :P

Besides that, I noticed today that I always try to make (Green) glass windows as a wall when replacing underground walls I dug out, instead of just walling it up.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2009, 02:30:23 pm »

Eccentricities:

1) Tombs/coffins are setup in either one of two ways:
   a.  At the bottommost z-level, in the Halls of Silence, or
   b.  In the legendary dining room.

Crafts forts tend towards a), Sparta forts tend towrads b).  Regardless, every dead dwarf gets a (N)ote about their cause of death or anything else of interest I remember about them.

2) Rank and file dwarves get the exact same room type -- all furniture made of the same stone, with the exact same layout.  It's very hotel-ish.  Legendary dwarves or nobles get individualized rooms.  I will often theme them based on a material the dwarf likes.

3) Any member of my military's goal is to become legendary with all weapons -- wrestler, hammer, mace, axe, sword, spear, crossbow, in that order.  Thus, for fighting off ambushes, I am often sending champions who are legendary with their axe out with swords, which they are dabbling at.  Soldiers who suffer nervous injuries are relieved from duty if they are below elite, or switched to marksdwarf immediately. 

4) I love making plumbing, but I hate deconstructing walls.  So I install doors *everywhere*, even into things like pressurized magma pipes.  This has caused more than one curious child to die, as I tend to also not remember to lock the doors.

5) I never use artifacts to bump up a noble's room value -- they always go into a vault or a museum.

6) Traps are for catching wildlife.  Ambushes and sieges are handled by military.  I will sometimes make an exception and have a single line of cage traps set up in an entranceway so I'm not bothered by snatchers; in this case, I will often set up death mazes full of traps to deal with the captives.

7) Large rooms tend to be setup in some multiple of 10, plus one -- the size of designating a tile, and then shift-arrow'ing in some direction.

8) I very, very, very rarely dump things.  Even if I've got 3000 diorite lying around, I will setup craftsdwarves to pump out trade goods rather than dump it.  I *will* offer things (as in, give them for free) to caravans in preference to dumping them.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2009, 04:28:53 pm »

1. I always ignore my dwarve's needs. Like in my current fortress, setting up the epic entrance with 2 z-level lake-like moat and pillboxes for marksdwarves was more important than "farming" or "brewing". What do you mean "I'm thirsty"? Go drink from the well. No, I don't care about "snakemen" in the well. DRINK.

2. I never build temporary fortresses. It's the real thing, or nothing. That means that all food, drinks and idlers will be stored safely in my entrance for the first few years, since that is were everything goes as soon as I start digging.

3.Ever since reading Nisth Akath I build central stairways whenever possible, with graves at the bottom (sometimes). It's not only practical, but also fun.

4.When I get bored I start to build little "places" all over my fortress, especially when I have a lot of old stuff lying around. Example: After mining a gem pocket out I don't just wall it up but smooth and engrave it. Maybe put a statue in there and then wall it up. Or smooth and engrave an old ore vein for no reason before forgetting it somewhere in the deep mines.
Future generations of dwarves and archaeologists could find it and... look at it or something. Same goes for little mined-out spaces along my entrance road or just somewhere in the wilderness (because of mining out gems or whatever). After smoothing it and putting some chairs/tables and statues in there it sure is nice for travelers, traders.. you know.

5.Uniformity. All rooms have the same color, same interior, furniture has the same color for everyone, multiple z-levels with the exact same apartments copied over and over. Also: symmetry.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2009, 07:05:11 pm »

Every one of my migrant dwarves has to serve the military for one year. If they survive I make sure they get nice bedrooms. If they get a ton of kills/legendary they become fortress guard, those who survive and destroy sieges get special rooms.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2009, 09:47:22 pm »

I build in 10x10 blocks almost without exception. Those few times I do try something new, it has to be perfectly symmetrical along at least one axis.

Oh, another thing. If I want to build an aboveground storehouse, it HAS to be cylindrical, like a silo. This is a massive pain, but I am compelled to do it.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2009, 01:11:53 am »

Quote from: AtomicPaperclip
I do occasionally part with orthoclase or olivine or other abnoxious colored stones, but never rhiolite or diorite or especially obsidian.

:D I do the exact opposite - igneous stone is boring and gray and gets made into crafts to dump onto merchants while olivine and other colored stones are precious commodities and are hoarded mercilessly - woe befall any crafter foolish enough to waste it on mere trinkets.

I looove Cinnabar.  If I strike Cinnabar and Native Gold at the same time, I go for the Cinnabar first so I can make everything red.  It'll be awefulawesome if Toady ever makes the game treat Cinnabar as poisonous.

A blood-red stone that makes any Dwarf that touches it go mad and die? It might just be the crystallized blood of Armok!
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2009, 01:52:36 am »

It's like solid magma only instead of heat and fire it uses poison and  toxins!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2009, 03:36:13 am »

It's like solid magma only instead of heat and fire it uses poison and  toxins!

I smell the opportunity for a new way of eliminating Elf caravans.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2009, 03:55:38 am »

Well known and used, especially by that one person with the dancy elf girl avatar, think name starts with 's' skorpion

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2009, 11:59:16 am »

Anyone who makes an artifact gets their bedroom engraved. Even if it takes me a couple of seasons to find their room.

Also, I try to build symmetrically, but for some reason only once I'm at least three levels below the surface.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2009, 05:32:43 pm »

Even if it takes me a couple of seasons to find their room.

You can find someone's room fairly quickly by using the "r" list.

I'm still developing my DF eccentricities, but I've put in the All Economic Stones mod so I can control what stone is being used where, along with a recycle entry that I use on the fly to recycle anything made by mistake when I forget to set something back to non-use after using it for a special purpose.  One advantage of this is that I'm learning item tokens.   :D

I tend to try to build pyramids above my underground fortresses, not for any good reason except that I like pyramids.  They have no function for the Dwarves, so far.  Just recently I started centering my central staircase under the intended peak of the pyramid-to-be.

I dislike losing stone into magma, where it never really goes away, so I have the Dwarves haul all the rock off the surface where I intend to build magma-utilizing buildings.  Just recently I learned about boiling off unwanted stone types by setting their boiling point to 0.  It's fun!

I often cut a ramp into dried ponds so that my Dwarves can recover the ammunition lost during the rainy season.  We scavange everything.   ;D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Tryptic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2009, 06:04:19 pm »

I have a few...

One is "Heating".  I always build bedrooms near magma.  If the magma has yet to be found, or is too far from the planned room, I'll use a set of heating ducts.  I figure my dwarves should stay warm.

Next is Coffins.  They go in nobles rooms.  Specifically, they go into the Mayor's bedroom, unless a baron comes along, then they go in their bedroom.  I expect my Mayor to feel adequate contrition for any lives lost while under his command.
The only time this is not the case is the occasional "lost an entire squad in an ambush".  They get dropped into magma, while the Mayor delivers a speech.

Thirdly, my Fortress Guard is merit only.  Specifically, if I wind up needing to "distract" an ambush I wasn't expecting/prepared for.  I draft one dwarf, while my champions get into place.  If he lives, Guard (usually Captain).  If he dies, massive tomb, the works.

Lastly, I set my dining rooms up like restaurants, with little cubicles, and paired tables, and the like.  It's a very cozy, intimate type of setup.  Also, I almost never have any bedrooms that aren't barracks/noble's quarters.  I like the cozy feel.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:06:02 pm by Tryptic »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26