Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 49013 times)

newtype0083

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #315 on: February 23, 2010, 04:34:57 pm »

I've only just started this, but I plan to continue/improve the idea with each fortress.

Massive skull rack. Floor upon floor of shelves, with a hollowed out interior so visitors can gawk properly at the library of my enemies. Since bones disappear above ground, even inside of buildings, I need to carve away from a mountain if I want to have one outside my entrance to intimidate visitors.

Oh, and no butchered mountain goat or cow skulls. Only goblin/kobold/elf skulls are worthy enough to be displayed in triumph.

Now if only there were a way to ensure that only engravings of goblins getting killed appeared on my skull display, my dwarves could die happy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #316 on: February 23, 2010, 04:36:34 pm »

Not sure if anyone else does this, but I make food storage rooms with wooden shelving. I hollow out a 5 z-level room and build 1 tile wide 'shelving' (wooden floors) all along the edges with wooden stairs up and down, as well as freestanding wooden shelving running up and down the room.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 23, 2010, 06:37:16 pm »

Every time I start a new fort I gen 6 worlds that I ignore and look for my site on the 7th.  If there is nothing suitable I gen 4 more worlds and check the 11'th.  If nothing in either, I delete them all and start over...  So all my forts are on region 7 or 11...  I really have no reason why I do this, but it has become habit.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 23, 2010, 07:24:04 pm »

i like capturing stuff.....lots of stuff, currently i have approximately 462 caje traps on my map......im gonna keep going until i have at least 1000.  too much? not at all. ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:26:08 pm by LoneJedi7 »
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 23, 2010, 08:58:50 pm »

I've taken to using the revealvein.exe to find olivine deposits. I hollow out the one closest to the edge of my map with a 1-tile wide border of olivine left. I then smooth the whole thing and build my trade deopt in there, out of more olivine.

This is so my caravans have to wait in my "green room" before seeing my broker.  :P
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2010, 05:36:07 am »

Didn't know about Orpiment, I'll have to start sealing that off too.  Pitchblend I already remove and set aside for the Dwarven nuclear power program, of course.

I don't think giving dwares nuclear power is a good idea.

I think it's a great one.

I mean, look at the wonders they can work with geothermal power.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2010, 07:17:12 am »

I usually start with entirely unskilled dwarves, aside from farmers, or the occasional point in something else as a personal strange mood.

My first building project is almost always a dining room, as soon as I can make it, and it is usually absurdly large, and I spend two years or so making statues to cover every wall -a fter the walls are engraved of course. Despite the fact that I usually start with all unskilled dwarves, it usually ends up being Grand Quality.

My Head Starting Dwarf also always has a death lever in his office which seals the entrance chamber and floods it with either water or magma, which I almost always en-devour to make sure is available. If I happen to be in a glacier, the entrance trap must be as complicated as possible, ideally involving turning enemies into icecubes or melting the ice beneath there feet, though the latter seems to always result in more dead dwarves then skeletons or goblins (depending on the mod I'm using at the time), since either it doesn't work at all or it destroys half the fortress.

I also never seize caravan goods and always respect the wishes of the elves if they ask me to stop being a tree-jerk.

Captured sentient beings (such as goblins) are treated in the same way I treat statues, and put near the entrance to important doors, on either side in pairs. I'm not sure what would keep them from spitting at the dwarves from inside their cages, but I like to pretend they are broken and helpless, treated as monkeys in a zoo.

Lastly, I always mod in a Succubus creature, I don't remember if its a semi-mega beast or not right now - and give them [Power] and the lust domains. I take pleasure in watching them have cults of goblins under their control in legends, even if I've never managed to meet one in an invasion or adventurer mode.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:24:39 am by lastofthelight »

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2010, 08:42:22 am »

I always engrave a single square on a mined out gem cluster. ONLY ONE.

Single dwarf? 2x2 room. Bed, cabinet, door.
Lovers? Same
Married couple with a kid? They get 4x5 dining room, three chairs (or more) and a table, and a 2x3 bedroom with two cabinets. The kid gets a standard room with the best bed available. I encourage families.

I build a temple of sorts, designate it as a meeting area and then install a chair and make it my philosopher's "office."

The dungeon master's quarters, dining room, office and tomb are always at least 5 z-levels lower than the rest of the fortress. At the bottom level if possible. Maybe even located within the tomb level.

Fishing is seasonal. I turn off fishing labors for half the year.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2010, 11:37:04 am »

When I dig big rooms such as storage room or dining room, I always leave pillars like in a real cave.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2010, 11:58:50 am »

Not only do I smooth water and magma conduits, but if a water conduit or cistern intersects a vein of cinnabar or realgar I dig it out and wall up the hole, making sure none of the loose stone is left in the cistern.  I know that DF doesn't have heavy metal poisoning.  I just do this anyway.  Then I make the cinnabar into mugs and give it to the elves.
Interesting. Do you do that also with orpiment, also an arsenic sulfide; cobaltite, cobalt arsenic sulfide; stibnite, antimony sulfide; or, of course, pitchblende, uranium oxides? Going like this, I think I might have to build all my potable water systems out of glass. Moats, drowning traps, and obsidian farms will receive no special treatment, but anything my dwarves are going to drink or which will irrigate my farms is going to be somewhat pure.

Personally, I tend to use that on purpose. Also, as I have taken to making everything out of metal from the onset to level up my metalworkers more rapidly instead of wasting a bunch of crap later, all buckets, goblets, and barrels are made out of lead (where accessible), and I produce lead toys/goblets for selling off to everyone.

Also I tend to make the food-production facilities (kitchen, butcher, still, etc) out of Pitchblende. I want radioactive zombie dwarves.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Caledonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Occluded Sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2010, 03:19:52 pm »

I build a stone room, ideally above the wagon's embark location, which has the offices of the nobles.  The trade depot is atop this tower.
I am Immortal:  I have inside me blood of kings.
I have no rival:  no man can be my equal.
Take me to the future of your world!

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2010, 04:36:46 pm »

I bring enough wood on embark to at least build a 5x5 cabin, with a roof, wooden door, six beds, and a wooden floor.

My main fort starts life as a mine shaft cut into the side of the mountain (complete with a wooden building that acts as the entrace to the mines). I name my dwarves after the Disney seven dwarves, try to match up personalites, when I can. Doc is my leader. Grumpy is my axedwarf/woodcutter. Bashful is my miner, who hides far away from other dwarves. Dopey is my planter. Happy is my cook/brewer. Sneezy is my mason. The sneezing come from all the rock dust he inhales! Sleepy is my second miner. He doesn't get a bed, but he does get a room with stuff assigned to him. The no bed thing is just so he falls to sleep all over the fort, bwahaha.

One day, I will get a female human to die on the site. She will be placed in a glass coffin, on the surface, with various wild animals in cages around her. I will use DC to rename her Snow White. ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:42:57 pm by rickvoid »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2010, 05:14:56 pm »

One day, I will get a female human to die on the site. She will be placed in a clear glass coffin, on the surface, with various wild animals in cages around her. I will use DC to rename her Snow White. ;D

Fix'd it for ya.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 26, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks. :)

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 26, 2010, 11:41:14 pm »

It is my first fortress, but I, too, want a sniper tower accessible only from underground.

I have developed a hatred for chalk.

I give everyone 1*3 or 3*1 rooms and engrave them (A legendary Engraver, dubbed Engraver of the Apocalypse, helps by engraving a masterpiece every two or three engravings he does), I give them coffers and armor stands.

I engrave all important rooms, like tombs, dining rooms and offices.

I designated the exterior of the mountian to be smoothened. I'll do so with the other mountains once I reach them.

I hollowed out the tip of small mountain and plan on engraving it and making it the royal tomb, might be way too overkill even for DF though.

I plan on giving the nobles a 3*3 room, engraved, the best doors I can crank out... and with an emergency lever for stupid mandates.

I have a goal, to make the most awesome outfit ever, though that is going to be... difficult, to say the least. Hint, y'see how adamantine can be made into everything?
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.
So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26