Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 49004 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2009, 06:50:37 pm »

I combine mining, quarrying stone, training engravers, defense, and deathtrap all in one:

I dig a long (3-5 bridges long), thin (3-5 tiles wide) channel, bridge it (Raising at the fort end, the rest retract), and then we dig ALL the way to the bottom, smoothing each layer and bringing the stone up with a garbage dump.

That alone trains engravers almost to max, gets us enough stone for the life of the fortress, and is a perfect defense as long as someone pulls the lever, which I keep in the dining room to ensure there's always someone to pull it.

I also have well-made tombs for all heroes, who also get nice rooms when alive.  Both the Hall of Dead Heroes and the Hall of Heroes have long lines of statues to represent our heroes.

Just the same, I try to have the dining hall in a central place, with a huge pillar in the middle.  If I can, I also dig it out so it's a large, engraved obelisk in the middle of the dining hall.  Bonus if I can get them sun safely so they don't vomit should they need to go outside.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:52:17 pm by Shima »
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Zwebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2009, 11:33:18 pm »

SYMMETRY!
 YOU! GROUND! I don't dig you 'till I figure out the absolute perfect thing to add to you. NEVER 'TILL THEN!
 You leader, you will be named after a god. YOUR POSITION IS RA, SUN GOD.
 I need a pit! I'm not even going to drop anything down it, I just want a pit! And no weaksauce 5x5 pits either, half the goddam mountain is gonna be an underground pit when I'm done.

Sigged.

I name my first seven dwarves after the Seven Dwarves from Snow White. That's... That's about it.
SYMMETRY!
 YOU! GROUND! I don't dig you 'till I figure out the absolute perfect thing to add to you. NEVER 'TILL THEN!
 You leader, you will be named after a god. YOUR POSITION IS RA, SUN GOD.
 I need a pit! I'm not even going to drop anything down it, I just want a pit! And no weaksauce 5x5 pits either, half the goddam mountain is gonna be an underground pit when I'm done.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2009, 04:33:55 am »

I play as elves.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2009, 10:06:45 am »

When talking to the trade liaison, I always request meat from the most deadly creatures on the list just because I like to imagine the civilization sacrificing hundreds of people in order to procure the meat.

"Sir!  We've already lost 10 men!  Why are we attacking this Giant Cave Spider nest?!"
"Cakerape wants Giant Cave Spider meat, so we're gonna get it for them!  Our society will fall apart without their alunite mugs!"

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2009, 11:21:10 am »

I ALWAYS, cancel any weddings, I don't believe in marriage, and so I force my dwarves to not believe in it either, though I encourage parties.
Nom nom nom

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2009, 12:53:10 pm »

I make a hall of records: every season, I dig out a new square of a 1-width tunnel, and have my legendary engraver record the three most interesting events of the season.  Sadly the founding of the civilization was apparently so incredibly epic that hundreds of years later, in terrifying skeleton-infested mountains full of magmaworks and artifacts, it's the only thing master artisans can think of to engrave about.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2009, 03:49:12 pm »

I also worry about the same thing as the above poster.

Thus, when I decide to appoint engravers, I carefully review the candidates before enabling the labor. Those I choose must at least "have a fertile imagination". Appreciating art is also an advantage.

I give my engravers tombs that they themselves have engraved when they die. It is a sad day when one of them falls in one of my fortresses. In my latest fortress, I have a hall specifically dedicated to honoring the work and sacrifices of my engravers.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2009, 04:30:41 pm »

I give my families names in their "custom profession" tag, and give people names when they reach ~6 attributes.

I also look after my dwarves, and never attempt to kill or lose any. When a dwarf dies it is a day of sadness.

The exception to this rule is the Hammerer, who I used to starve and will now drown with my new drowning chamber.  ;D

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009, 05:53:29 pm »

I'm putting this under a spoiler tag because the list is very long and VERY boring.

I'm unsure as to whether or not the stuff I do is unique or normal. I know most of it is dumb, though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2009, 05:59:49 pm »

I have an odd habit of building aboveground mostly, but making a bunker like underground fortress stocked with spare stuff for hard times.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2009, 06:37:35 pm »

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2009, 06:41:47 pm »

Besides modding the game so that there is only a white color stone that produces by reaction a reduced amount of metals (the majority of the alloys get deleted) and altering creature spawns so that the magma and water features are naturally clear of them...

Golden Rule: Minimum 3x3 bedrooms with no-quality furniture for dwarves, going so far as to setup a reaction to give exactly a bed, metal chest, wood cabinet, wood armor stand, stone weapon rack, stone table, wood chair, and wooden door to make sure they all get the exact same treatment. Wether or not the room is smoothed depends.

- Only allow east/west doorways because of the designation rule where the dwarf will prefer to engrave the east wall face first and then the west wall face; so that all engravings are "inside" the room.
- 2 tile thick walls so that each room gets it's own smoothing/engraving, 1 tile thick walls only for rooms that will not be smoothed
- Try to stick to the old 7x7 cave-in rule.
- Lowest two levels reserved specifically for plumbing.
- Third lowest level is 'street' level, the rest of the fortress is built upwards from it.
- Other rules probably mentioned before by other people.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2009, 07:21:34 pm »

I curl the ends of defensive walls in and build ramps along them.

If I can help it, and if the trees are broad leaf, I only cut lumber in the winter. I don't like the idea of my dwarfs having to deal with leaves.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2009, 01:35:11 am »

I play as elves.
Ready the magma pits

Lol sup Zruku, it's Teks from 420chan.

Anyways, Zruku here doesn't like playing in terrifying biomes or playing deadly challenges. He views those who do as "masochists" and "sadists".

PHOOEY

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2009, 12:59:13 pm »

I play as elves.

I play as elves that hate trees and eat goblin and orc bones almost exclusively in their massive, miasma- and smoke- generating 'blighthome'.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26