Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 49014 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2009, 01:31:00 pm »

When I get peasants, I sort them as such:

Any dwarf with a useful but redundant skill (such as an immigrant armorsmith) becomes a Hauler. They do all the unskilled labor jobs (making ash->potash->pearlash, cutting wood, building walls and traps, hauling, etc.)

Any dwarf with a moderately useful but unskilled job (thresher, miller, furnace operator, etc) becomes a soldier. They're given high quality steel and leather (because I have too much steel on a fort with chalk, coal, and magnetite), trained to legendary, and spend most of their time off duty except when I have a siege/lagspike.

Any dwarf with a useless or no skills (soap makers, animal trainers, potash makers, etc) becomes cannon fodder. They wear leather, train as wrestlers, and are sent in first. Any canon fodder who gets a title gets upgraded to soldier.

I'm building a giant goblin pachinko board (thus the pearlash, one wall will be solid clear glass windows to watch). When I'm done, I'll let my dwarves play pachinko for furniture in their rooms (or a room if they don't already have one).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2009, 01:54:30 pm »

I build everything RPT everything out of blocks; it's a good use of my masons and stone, and it makes things more valuable and admirable. I also buy and melt any metal crafts the caravans bring, since I can do more with iron bars than I can with large/narrow/small iron gear.

One other thing I like to do is make steel sarcophagi and build a graveyard in my obsidian farm; all the dwarven heroes of old can rest in peace, slumbering in the heart of the mountain. Naturally, those poor bastards who died because they couldn't get inside quickly enough get poorer coffins in the catacombs. If it weren't for the sad thought that comes with destroying the remains of a loved one, I'd just set all the coffins in there, for a Dwarven Crematorium.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2009, 03:08:24 pm »

I play as, well...You have three guesses, and the first two don't count.

I play with a couple mods other than that, which I also made myself.

If I'm not playing as the obvious, then I follow a design based on which race I'm playing as.

Dwarves? Private bedrooms, dining rooms, offices, and tombs for everyone.

Humans? An aboveground city.

Elves? Bridge over magma pipe. Get everyone on it. Pull lever. 'Nuff said.

Goblins? Large aboveground obsidian fortresses (not necessarily towers).

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2009, 02:58:54 pm »

Another thing I like to do, tying in with my procedure for dealing with POWs, is use naked goblins to train my military; lock them in a room with a half-competent axedwarf, or a squad of newbies, or just let the marksdwarves shoot them through the fortifications. Their bones then get used for bolts and decoration, and their skulls are used to pave my entrances. Because a) I don't sell enough skull totems to justify it, and b) It's dwarfy as anything.

Might or might not be eccentric, but these days I'm making everything I can out of green glass, barring those things that need to be made of military-grade material. Because magma == infinite glass == free furniture.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2009, 03:45:32 pm »

I've got a couple. I base my fortress designs around a single large stairwell, with auxiliary stairwells placed as needed. The main one has a drop n the middle all the way to the lowest z-level. The sole purpose of this is for dwarves to fall down. My stairwells always extend at least a bit into the air as towers, the main one always reaches the top.

Often, I'll intentionally make things more hectic, putting rooms in weird places or shapes to avoid repeating square patterns. I dig extensive, complicated catacombs at the bottom z-level.

Recently, I've taken to putting caged goblins everywhere.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2009, 03:47:55 pm »

Any dwarf with a useful but redundant skill (such as an immigrant armorsmith) becomes a Hauler. They do all the unskilled labor jobs (making ash->potash->pearlash, cutting wood, building walls and traps, hauling, etc.)

Any dwarf with a moderately useful but unskilled job (thresher, miller, furnace operator, etc) becomes a soldier. They're given high quality steel and leather (because I have too much steel on a fort with chalk, coal, and magnetite), trained to legendary, and spend most of their time off duty except when I have a siege/lagspike.

Any dwarf with a useless or no skills (soap makers, animal trainers, potash makers, etc) becomes cannon fodder. They wear leather, train as wrestlers, and are sent in first. Any canon fodder who gets a title gets upgraded to soldier.

I'm building a giant goblin pachinko board (thus the pearlash, one wall will be solid clear glass windows to watch). When I'm done, I'll let my dwarves play pachinko for furniture in their rooms (or a room if they don't already have one).

1:  Time for a Marxist revolution!  Cannon fodder around the world rise up and unite!  ::)
2:  How are you making a Pachinko board when goblins don't....bounce?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2009, 11:43:58 pm »

1:  Time for a Marxist revolution!  Cannon fodder around the world rise up and unite!  ::)
2:  How are you making a Pachinko board when goblins don't....bounce?

Goblins don't bounce, but they can be bridgeapulted. Use retracting bridges to keep them from being atom smashed. My last attempted pachinko board died to lag, so I've lowered the max population to 100. Should work.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sleetmonster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2009, 12:33:49 am »

I've got a few eccentricities myself.
For one, my favorite area to strike the earth is in a recess on the cliff face with a small hill directly in front of it, making a sort of C shaped area. I'll wall the exposed sides up and remove the ramps within. And the hill gets turned into the main barracks, spanning its z-levels and ending in a tower (if I make it that far.)

Also, if I'm ever digging out a large area to eventually fill with water, I like to put some interesting feature in there, usually a statue. Just for kicks.

My fortresses seem usually to start off as a 2 or 3 tile wide hallway leading into a large room before branching off. That room usually ends up being a dining room, which is invariably oval-shaped and with four pillars (not actual pillars, just unmined stone that I can have engraved later.)

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2009, 12:56:58 am »

The dimensions of every single room in my fort can be related to the number 7.
First post on page 7?
I think you were just waiting for that weren't you?

On that note:
I'm obsessed with designating out my fortress, and trying to anticipate EVERYTHING I ever might need, and get everything done before I need it.
Needless to say, I spend more time paused and designating stuff than I do running my fortress.
I also have a nasty habit of trying to make a pseudo noble out of one of my dwarves -- architect/trader with no hauling labors, no special labors, and they get a FAR FAR larger and nicer room/office than any of the other starting seven.
Each of the starting seven have rooms of AT LEAST 3x4 size for bedrooms, and 3x4 sized office/dining rooms. Bedrooms also get at least two chests/storage locations.

On a separate note: Anyone have a worldgen for a nice 3x3-4x4 embark area with HFS right next to the ocean?

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2009, 07:57:07 am »

(not so eccentric) - All my animals have only 1 male / species and the rest are all females. All other males are slaughtered at birth

(~ eccentric) - All military dwarves are used to build constructions before they finally get drafted.

I love green glass. Eventually I start filling everywhere with glass furnatures.

All high-ranking siege prisoners get a false trial and then get executed by firing squad. Everyone else either gets drowned (if I have water), or take part in the Gladiator contests. In my current fort, I'm going to build a temple with a 'sacrificial pit'.

Oh right: I also insist on levelling any mountains I can see to the ground. This usually takes ages and kills my framerate
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:05:25 am by Haedrian »
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2009, 09:26:05 am »

My only ec-center-ic behavior is.. damn, I just gave it away.  If I have a feature like a pit or a magma pipe or something, it has to be centered.  I absolutely detest having it stuck on the edge of my map, and I've abandoned forts before because they were dug a few tiles off-center and didn't connect to some underground feature properly.  If I dig circular rooms they have to be perfect circles (well, as close to perfect as possible anyway) - no rounded squares or odd shapes for me.
Slightly less eccentric is the compulsion to mine out each and every ore tile, going so far as to train up legendary miners first before digging out an early gem patch or something.  I just can't dig out a bunch of rooms and leave some ore walls in there.  Heck, I've used reveal before just to check I wasn't putting the next bedroom complex in a bunch of gems.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2009, 04:05:11 pm »

First post on page 7?

No, actually I only noticed that after I posted, I didn't realize I would start a page or even what page I was posting on.....you are very observative

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2009, 05:04:08 pm »

First post on page 7?

No, actually I only noticed that after I posted, I didn't realize I would start a page or even what page I was posting on.....you are very observative
Too bad you weren't six posts later, really.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2009, 05:36:25 pm »

1 - I use the color stones to build workshops. My stone workshops are one color, wood workshops another, etc. I use red stones for my butcher/tanner. The workshops always all have doors (even the ones that can't get a fey mood) and the door matches the workshop color.

2 - I do the spiraling wagon ramp downward. It's actually pretty quick for dwarves on foot, and you can predictably place traps on the ground where you know the enemy will walk.

3 - I always have a little aboveground maze so enemies have someplace to die before getting underground. That means my moronic little entrance-dancers won't ever have to see them until I let them stay outside.

4 - I like making huge Rube Goldberg devices that start with a lever pull and end with some crazy effect. I made one that unlocked the food stockpile and took a whole year to run through. My dwarves were all so hungry and tired of eating vermin by the time it finally opened.

5 - I hate the Hammerer. I always give him a royal bedroom furnished with multiple traps full of steel hammers and a pressure plate. I'm sure he appreciates their effectiveness. At one point I had Several piles of Hammerer bones lying around the room. I can only imagine what the next Hammerer thinks. Certainly not "Hey maybe I should straighten up and fly right!"

6 - I always pick one unfortunate dwarf who will be the sacrificial miner / whatever. His job is the go out and do the thing that's really dangerous, like mining out the last tile under the magma. If he survives he is taken off the sacrificial list and gets the good-skill jobs. If he fails ... his spouse is billed for the copper pick.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2009, 05:54:42 pm »

I have a new one, I stat train my military dwarves by having them be engravers, masons, and mechanics. They can get a lot of work done in the fort before they become champions. I hate having idlers so I have nearly everyone have masonry.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26