Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 49006 times)

nosesquid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2009, 12:18:52 am »

I give all my legendary dwarves Viking funerals - their coffins are built on a golden platform in the middle of a magma pool, and pumped-in magma washes over them, carrying their spirits to Armok.  The pumps are hand-operated, of course, so that they can have servants in the afterlife.
Annoying nobles get dropped into the same pool, but they are sealed in clear glass coffins, so that they must look upon the funerals of better dwarves in eternal, silent jealousy, condemned to never feel the sweet touch of magma.

Needless to say, every post on here about a magma trap for elves or nobles is shocking - don't people realize that magma, the lifeblood of Armok, is far too good for such wretched creatures?

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2009, 02:26:38 am »

On the contrary, disposing of such vile creatures in the holy lifeblood of the mountain is purifying, cleansing. Alternately, it is the holy wrath of Armok smiting those who offend him, be they nobles who refuse to contribute or elves who refuse to cooperate. In either case, disposing of the offenders in hot magma is entirely acceptable and admirable. On the other hand, my habit of throwing garbage into the molten garbage disposal is probably three or four different kinds of heresy.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2009, 05:13:11 pm »

In every fort I keep a squad of hammerers in full iron plate armor sets, training in barracks made of iron blocks and iron furniture. I change their profession to "Iron Crushers" and treat them as a loyal special task force feared everywhere.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2009, 05:37:47 pm »

Whenever new immigrants come in I draft them. Not unusual, you say. But with each one I declare "<Insert Job Here>? RECRUIT".

Also, I make my dwarves dance. I set out little routes for them and have them dance for me on my screen. I should screenshot it some time. It takes forever to get an entire squad of dwarves to dance like that.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2009, 05:55:51 pm »

Well, my eccentric behavior is always starting my fort in the exact center of the map. Very... centric, in fact ;D
The center of the map has to be the center of my fort, usually the main tower with staircases extending downwards or even a giant Nist Akath inspired spiral staircase or ramp. And if there happens to be a river, it either has to go somwhere else or have something interesting built right in the middle. When the center of a map (that's otherwise alright) doesn't look promising, I'll abandon and try somewhere else.

Also, in a mature fort (say, about 120 dorfs) I always keep at least two squads of four champion wrestlers, even if there are enough training weapons and time to spar. They're like police or military reserve, protecting civilians who have to go outside from ambushes and "guarding" dorfs who are about to go berzerk.
The real fighting against real gobbos is still done by real military with real weapons while the wrestlers keep the peace beyond the front line.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2009, 09:22:26 am »

On the contrary, disposing of such vile creatures in the holy lifeblood of the mountain is purifying, cleansing. Alternately, it is the holy wrath of Armok smiting those who offend him, be they nobles who refuse to contribute or elves who refuse to cooperate. In either case, disposing of the offenders in hot magma is entirely acceptable and admirable. On the other hand, my habit of throwing garbage into the molten garbage disposal is probably three or four different kinds of heresy.

Honestly, I just fry them if they bring 20 bins of rope reed and no exotic animals. Saves the whole cleanup thing, just build the trade depot out of bauxite so it doesn't melt. Alternatively, lock them in with the hammerer, when they go berserk he either kills them or he's unworthy to serve the nobles.

The hard part is keeping the trade depot clean enough to magma-tize traders.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2009, 11:40:08 am »

I've just noticed that for some reason I avoid using diagonal entrances to rooms. Maybe they just bug me because it doesn't look like anything would be able to get through.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

moving_target

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2009, 12:37:57 pm »

I've just noticed that for some reason I avoid using diagonal entrances to rooms. Maybe they just bug me because it doesn't look like anything would be able to get through.

I don't either for the same reasons. I just imagine a dwarf crawling through a crack in the wall to get to that room and I don't like it.

My only eccentric behavior is making everything look good. Rooms and stockpiles have to be symmetrical and everything has to be smoothed stone with engravings if possible.   

Dunc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2009, 04:06:45 pm »

i build everything aboveground except mine shafts and transportation tunnels. I also pave the streets of my town. Also I avoid using crossbows because it isn't honourable.

My favourite fort ever was when i had a huge town with a well-trained squad of champions. A mere ambush killed a few champions who were friends with everyone. Cue rioting. It looked like the LA Riots in my town, the city was in chaos. There was fighting in the streets, people attacking the fortress guardsmen.

The police barracks kind of became the hospital, and there were always tantrumming dwarves coming in to beat wounded people to death. The police had kind of retreated to the barracks to protect the wounded. There were corpses and broken things everywhere.

Eventually I drafted the dwarves who looked the least unhappy, pulled them to the west side of the city, and had a Berlin wall built, condemning the west side to fend for themselves. The main food stockpile was in West Berlin, for a while the Easterners survived on what animals were left in that end, but then I had them do some farming and help themselves.

East Berlin was an utter shithole with lots of fighting and wounded. Berserkers and melancholy were ubiquitous. People were jumping off of the tops of high-rise buildings and such.

West Berlin prospered, it was doing fine. It also had access to the outside world, via the west bridge. The East bridge had been blocked off to seal in the quarantined easterners.

Then a goblin siege came. I frantically knocked down the Berlin wall for the citizens of both sides to unite together to beat back the foreign foe. They won at great cost. The next siege wiped out the whole town though. It was hands down the most fun i've ever had in ANY game.

Some photos:

Below is a good shot of a big part of the city. The red lines are drawn where the Berlin wall used to be. Note that in the riots, civil infrastructure took a big hit, rioting dwarves hate roads. That statue garden was the wild west. All the dwarves loved to gather there and fight. It had some gold and platinum statues that I had moved to the West just before the quarantine.

Below is a scene of part of the Reunification Battle, when the heroic combined forces drove back the goblins.

Below is a scene just before the Fall of Berlin. That building in the top left where there are a tonne of goblins, that was an apartment complex. It had four apartments each on maybe five levels. The goblin horde hit that building first, going door to door slaying wounded and sleeping dwarves. You can see what remained of the active defence force, they didn't stand a chance.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2009, 04:14:05 pm »

All my useless immigrants lately have gotten the job "practice target" and told to stand in the catapault range.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Haze

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2009, 09:12:58 pm »

I never dig into soil unless I intend to farm from it. It feels un-dwarfy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2009, 09:23:34 pm »

I never dig into soil unless I intend to farm from it. It feels un-dwarfy.
I feel the same way. On the rare occasion that I do need to dig into soil, I dig one tile extra on every side and wall/pave the rooms with stone.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2009, 09:43:37 pm »

I play a modded race.  Most of my little eccentricies relate to the in characterness of them.

- All underground housing has a sunlight access window.  Or at least sunlight access in the main traffic areas.  The race happily live underground, but not as deep as dwarves and like sunlight.

- Similar to nosesquid burials for warriors involve magmaflooding the room.  Non legendary civilians, crossbowmen and nobles, get a typical non magma burial.

- Non crossbow Warriors get one tile added to the size of their tomb for every notable kill.  When possible the extra tile gets reflorred with a bar of precious metal.  If the tomb gets so large as to be unable to be extended, precious metal statues get added per kill.  If they extend beyond that capacity a special royal quality tomb gets built for them specifically.

- Crossbowmen while necessary for the defence of a fortress, are dishonorable.  They are never more than 1/3rd of the fortresses total military might.

- Warriors only use Swords and spears in battle.  Shields are dishonorable, warriors go into battle either weilding 2 weapons or a 2 handed custom variant.

- Traps are dishonorable, traps are never more than 1 tile thick and cannot have more than 1 weapon in each.  Cage traps are used sparingly.

And for non character related things.

- Diagonal doorways look odd to me, I don't use them.

- Invader equipment is either melted or trash compacted.  None will be sold.

- I treat nobles fairly, I complete their mandates when possible and attempt to the best of my ability to meet their housing requirements and demands.  The only odd case is the Hammerer.  Who while, having his housing requirements met, quickly finds his front door replaced by a steel wall, and 10 units of food and booze being dropped in through his ceiling once a year.  Nobles are never killed intentionally, no matter what the demands.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2009, 09:24:23 am »

Little to no impact on gameplay huh?

Well I usually take the time to go through legends of the world before starting a fortress. I look at the gods and goddesses of a civilization and I go with the most badass one. Some guys are worshipping a giant bat goddess? I'M GAME! That's the civilization I want to belong to ... I also check what civilization has conquered the most forts. Super bonus points for forts belonging to other races. (i do this in adventure mode)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2009, 01:16:23 am »

Needless to say, every post on here about a magma trap for elves or nobles is shocking - don't people realize that magma, the lifeblood of Armok, is far too good for such wretched creatures?
And this is why it is written, "Wherefore whosoever shall mine this adamantine, and use this magma of the earth, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of Armok."

That said, I don't do much in the way of eccentric behavior, apart from never having used magma (never had any good maps for it), I try to limit my engravers to those who are imaginative or at least artsy, and the frivolity of a full military review (a single pass of the fort military and guard along a specially-designated patrol path) at the arrival of all diplomats. That's about it.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26