Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2550 2551 [2552] 2553 2554 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8851219 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #38265 on: October 10, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »

Been looking forward to the first day of chess club for a week, when the day before my mother says that I have to go to my half sister's birthday party at chuck e. Cheeses. I mean. . . .wow. Talk about the soul crushing gauntlet of fuck you son. My mom's always been over protective. I've never even been able to get a real job, it's so bad. I honestly think that she just want's me around 24/7, because she know's perfectly well that my sister doesn't give a shit whether I go or not. Pfaugh.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38266 on: October 10, 2011, 02:34:56 pm »

Though I wouldn't say I feel lost now (that'll likely come later, when I leave this wonderful home), I certainly don't feel like me. I feel as though I used to be very much in contact with myself, but now I have a hard time just stopping and clearing my mind. Even when I've got nothing to do I manage to while the time away blankly staring at a computer screen for hours, when at one time I'd have taken that time to meditate or draw or actually do something. I figured I'd just give myself some time, but it's been practically a year, so I'll see if I can get around to sorting this stuff out.

Also, essay writing certainly does suck. As does being forced to work in groups because "it's what you'll be doing in the future." Sure, it's useful to be able to, but I very much like solitary work, thank you.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38267 on: October 10, 2011, 03:21:50 pm »

Until and unless things drastically improve, I will be filing chapter 11 bankruptcy for a local factory in a year or less. The place is going fucking broke, plain and simple....The factory simply doesn't have the orders coming in or money to pay for suppliers and payroll. Tried my absolute best rebalancing the company's books, but still had no choice but to recommend reducing work hours and laying some people off. The only thing to be done is try to keep the place floating as long as possible, but.... I'm afraid the best I could offer the people laid off was a well written letter of recommendation and the promise that I recommend they be hired back as soon as possible if orders picked up.

The owner wanted to fight the state unemployment office on benefits, because it would cost the company money. I had some time convincing him that it was a losing battle (entirely true). If he had stuck to his guns and (stupidly) gone ahead with the fight, then I couldn't have even drafted the laid off employees the letters of recommendation. I understand that it costs you money, but damn 1.) you have no case, period, because they weren't fired for cause, 2.) the state will beat you senseless, and 3.) at some point these people didn't do anything wrong, why screw them over...?

Sometimes there really aren't good answers and I hate that. It makes me feel like I'm somehow not smart enough. I've done similar things before even as a clerk and managed to avoid laying off anyone.  I can't find these individuals jobs elsewhere either.... I can't even negotiate a long term bulk purchase contract from suppliers to shore up funds. I fear I've exhausted my bag of tricks. Exactly 5,218 people work there on three shifts... currently....

God damn it brain, make the pieces fit....

Is the company in receivership or something? I'm having a hard time figuring out why you're being their accounting department...

Actually, my involvement isn't about acting as accounting department. The accounting department and comptroller have crunched the numbers and said "we're screwed," again. They crunch, account and report numbers, and that's really all. They typically don't know what on earth to do in these situations or how to fix it/if it can be fixed. In sum, our arrangement goes something like, accountant accounts, says we're screwed and I have usually recommended a way to fix it when asked. I come up with an idea, accountant and owner usually do it if it works (as opposed to sitting there being screwed with a viable option in front of them).

While lawyers have historically been business advisers/counselors, there are six primary reasons for me doing this. First, they have been with the firm since they incorporated decades ago and we have done so much for them that they trust us. Second, if company files for bankruptcy/goes under, then firm loses a large client. Third, gotta use that economics degree/accounting stuff for something. Fourth, when I put my mind to it, I wind up with odd but effective contractual and tactical solutions (bulk purchases, supplier branding on factory's finished product, splitting combined advertising cost with suppliers,  hiring a cheaper independent trucking company to save on shipping, all sorts of shit really). Finally, I can and the firm bills for it.

Also, let's face it, most of the people I do stuff for, aren't rich and work at jobs like this factory. If those places go down, then my broader ability to get paid by criminal and other defendants goes down too. Plus, you know, sometimes I occasionally like the idea of making a small amount of money while not getting people fired from the horrible market conditions and who are we kidding, incompetence of people in general. [sigh]

Then of course, there's the real answer, my boss tells me to. :) I am sad that I cannot come up with any answers.... :(
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:44:58 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38268 on: October 10, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »

These pictures of spiders and scorpions (and the centi/millipedes, less so) have really freaked me out. I don't know why I have such a huge problem with them; I didn't, until recently. Thinking about it, it might have been my friend's basement - one wall, completely covered in webs made by small white spiders; larger, darker ones in the corners, under the furniture... that was hard to sleep in. The bathroom was truly of a nightmare; that's where the most nests were.

I'm kind of stressing over the PSAT. It's likely going to be my main scholarship opportunity, but I'm not really excelling at it. Last year, I met the NMS mark, and in this practice test I scored 5-6 points above that (might have been rightfully more; that was a terribly written test). As for other scholarships, I'm not good with persuasive essays, and I'm thoroughly unmotivated, and involved in a total of one school activity. I suppose I'll just try my best on Wednesday and see what next year, my last year here, brings to me.

Been looking forward to the first day of chess club for a week, when the day before my mother says that I have to go to my half sister's birthday party at chuck e. Cheeses. I mean. . . .wow. Talk about the soul crushing gauntlet of fuck you son. My mom's always been over protective. I've never even been able to get a real job, it's so bad. I honestly think that she just want's me around 24/7, because she know's perfectly well that my sister doesn't give a shit whether I go or not. Pfaugh.
If there's something you really want to do, you should tell her so. Over-protectiveness is no excuse to get in the way of your son's happiness. Keeping you from a job is more harmful than that. Sitting by while your mother inhibits you is no way to succeed in life.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #38269 on: October 10, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »

I forgot to mention that I did make attempts at resistance :-/ It was met with screams of "You're not 18 yet!" (i'm 17) and "Just do what I expletive say!". Also, hey, I have the PSAT on wednesday as well. Luckily they give a study book when you pay the fee here at my school, so I have a few days to study. Still realizing that the test will have a major impact on my future, and I'm worried that I won't do good at all, as usual.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #38270 on: October 10, 2011, 04:30:21 pm »

I need to stop having my body and my brain disagree how something in particular makes me feel. I'm fine with my friends going and doing something else, stop taking it so fucking personally that it's not you that's being spent time with and shut the fuck up dammit!

At this rate Ill be arguing with myself inside a week.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38271 on: October 10, 2011, 05:21:08 pm »

I forgot to mention that I did make attempts at resistance :-/ It was met with screams of "You're not 18 yet!" (i'm 17) and "Just do what I expletive say!". Also, hey, I have the PSAT on wednesday as well. Luckily they give a study book when you pay the fee here at my school, so I have a few days to study. Still realizing that the test will have a major impact on my future, and I'm worried that I won't do good at all, as usual.
I got the same book. I haven't even bothered with it - I know how to take tests. The main problem I have is that too much material in the test isn't... I don't know how to put it. There's an answer for something, but depending on how you look at it, another answer could be just as right. Total knowledge doesn't matter as much as knowledge of the standards. And, for some reason, I have trouble grasping standards.

Don't worry too much about the test. Study and try your best, sure; but don't stress it. Failure at many time, including this, just means some more work later - nothing worse. Even if you don't do well, you're still better off than people who didn't take it. You should do well, anyway - you seem like a pretty intelligent person.

As for your mom, I can sympathize a bit. That situation is no good. At least her argument won't hold up next year.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38272 on: October 10, 2011, 05:53:01 pm »

Not really directly related to the PSAT, but at university, one teacher told us that the best thing we could do to prepare the exam we are preparing right now, was to repeat test questions over and over. I believe him, too. The weeks I've done tests like a sob, I've gone up in the ratings, regardless of other stuff (textbook checking, et al). The weeks I've done few, I,ve gone down, regardless of other factors. It's not just a matter of questions being repeated: you're also reviewing material as you check the answers, and learning how they ask. Plus in the end questions do tend to repeat themselves a lot. There is only so much you can ask avout a subject without working too hard on being obsvure.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38273 on: October 10, 2011, 05:55:26 pm »

There's also the point that an exam is supposed to probe a significant part of the subject matter, so if you can awnser a whole exam well, you must know the knowledge and techniques for the subject pretty well.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #38274 on: October 10, 2011, 06:16:18 pm »

Good luck on your PSAT as well. I'm just going to go over the book a couple of times a night, and see what comes of that. I've already looked at the practice test that came with it, and it appears more focused on actual logical competency rather than vast amounts of knowledge. Luckily, logic is my strong point :)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38275 on: October 10, 2011, 06:25:43 pm »

Meeting with study-ways people tomorrowohshitit'sjusttenhoursaway, and I still haven't been able to decide what class to take. Dammit mind why can't you ever ever make yourself up? *panics*
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38276 on: October 10, 2011, 06:28:20 pm »

God damnit! It's the second time I missed Yasmin Levy's concert in Poland. I'm seriously pissed off* at myself.

*which amounts to lying in bed with a glass of wine and a mild frown.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38277 on: October 10, 2011, 07:42:25 pm »

One of my old math teachers died yesterday.

Now I kind of feel like a dick for slacking off so much.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38278 on: October 10, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »

This job is going to do really weird things to my sense of empathy, and I'm not sure how to feel about that. I'm going to have to make myself indifferent to a lot of people's suffering, but keep up the appearance of caring a lot. The latter shouldn't be too tricky, but the former... bleh.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38279 on: October 10, 2011, 07:55:38 pm »

Everyone in the sad thread is talking about how the the PSATs are helpful for scholarships. I thought it was just practice for the SAT! And the last day to sign up was last thursday! BLEH!

Think I'll be okay if I just take the PSAT junior year?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 2550 2551 [2552] 2553 2554 ... 8158