Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4239 4240 [4241] 4242 4243 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8860625 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #63600 on: July 11, 2013, 08:42:25 pm »

With no experience and a comfortable chair, I'd say you should apologize, and leave it up to her.

The "leave it up to her" part is definitely right, the apologize part might be less so (since it sort of conflicts with leaving it up to her).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #63601 on: July 11, 2013, 11:01:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With no experience and a comfortable chair, I'd say you should apologize, and leave it up to her.

Also with no experience (I'm married but have never done anything I would consider normal dating or courtship), I'm not sure if you need to apologize, since it's questionable as to whether or not you actually did something wrong.  You don't want to set a standard where you apologize for no wrong-doing.  Whether you do so is up to whether or not you feel your actions have been justified.

However, I would explain the situation honestly to her.  If I'm reading the it correctly, your previous reaction was based on your own sensitivity to how you'd been treated.  Now you realize that you let your emotions get the best of you, regret what happened as a result, and would like to give the relationship another change.  Don't say that stuff if it isn't true, but that's how your post read to me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63602 on: July 11, 2013, 11:18:48 pm »

My basic position on the situation is that she showed vulnerability, you said you weren't interested, and now she's hurt and off going and doing something else.  Now that you haven't bounced back you want her back, but... well, you've been on two dates and it sounds like a lot of your wanting to go out with her again is interest in smooching.  That is, in my experience, going to be a hard sell.

It's possible that you might be able to work something out, but ... frankly, if it was me, I'd be done.  On the other hand, I'm pretty mercurial.

Anyway, good luck.  I hope this turns out well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63603 on: July 11, 2013, 11:39:10 pm »

I would not talk to her again. You told her to call you if she changed her mind. Breaking your established protocol will do no good. Maybe she calls you back, maybe she doesn't.

You've already been on dates with multiple women, you're over the major difficulty hurdle. Don't fall into desperation, it makes you look bad.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63604 on: July 12, 2013, 12:53:19 am »

So much for that promise of stable employment this Summer.

It's like the last two months of progress never happened, and I'm right back in the hole I was in, with the loss of housing looming. Hating myself, and my decision to put faith in a new job offer, which now appears that it will not be available to me until the Fall. Should have stuck with the crappy minimum wage bakery thing. Feeling the will to keep trying slipping away again. Trying to summon the will to kick my ass back into gear and keep moving. Gotta keep moving. Even if it feels like I'm going nowhere.

Even if I am going nowhere.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63605 on: July 12, 2013, 01:01:14 am »

Man, I can definitely appreciate not making much traction on moving forward in life, but with all the trials, tribulations, and shenanigans I've heard you go through, I can at very least say you've gone nowhere with style.

It's a pain, but these things are often better than they might at first seem.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63606 on: July 12, 2013, 01:02:52 am »

Hans hasn't been on for a while. :/
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63607 on: July 12, 2013, 03:54:32 am »

Snip. Just freaking out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:59:58 am by Solifuge »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #63608 on: July 12, 2013, 03:58:40 am »

I'm doing an MS Paint adventure game and IronyOwl is making me draw haaaaaaaard thiiiiiiiiiings.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #63609 on: July 12, 2013, 04:03:30 am »

So much for that promise of stable employment this Summer.

It's like the last two months of progress never happened, and I'm right back in the hole I was in, with the loss of housing looming. Hating myself, and my decision to put faith in a new job offer, which now appears that it will not be available to me until the Fall. Should have stuck with the crappy minimum wage bakery thing. Feeling the will to keep trying slipping away again. Trying to summon the will to kick my ass back into gear and keep moving. Gotta keep moving. Even if it feels like I'm going nowhere.

Man, I can definitely appreciate not making much traction on moving forward in life, but with all the trials, tribulations, and shenanigans I've heard you go through, I can at very least say you've gone nowhere with style.

It's a pain, but these things are often better than they might at first seem.

Style. A carefully cultivated, paper-thin air of aesthetic merit. All the appearance of virtue, with none of the substance. Inside might lack redeeming value, but at least it looks nice on the surface. Good job, self.

You can't take care of anyone else. You can barely provide for yourself. You sustain yourself with food, water, resources, the concern and time and energy of your friends and family... consuming these things for years and years, in a lifetime of self-indulgence. For all the sacrifices and entropy and consumption necessary to sustain you as an organism... for all that the world and its people have provided you, your greatest offer back to the world is stylishness?

Is there anything of real substance in you? Anything of merit to offer? Anything at all to justify the burden your daily existence represents, be it as an organism or a person? Is there a point to you at all, beyond sustaining your own existence? I am not sure there is.

If nothing else your self-doubt makes for interesting reading.

But seriously, I consider anyone who performs serious self-examination such as this to be leaps and bounds ahead of most in terms of their true worth as a person.  It seems far too rare to me for people to seriously question themselves.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #63610 on: July 12, 2013, 06:02:38 am »

My upper right brace's arch wire has moved over the past month and is now sticking about a centimeter out from the rearmost bracket and is cutting a vertical gash into my inner cheek. It hurts every time I move my jaw, especially when eating, and I kinda worry it'll get infected >_>
Dentist appointment is next Tuesday or Thursday. Not sure if I should deal with it until then or undergo the hour-long trip to the dentist.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63611 on: July 12, 2013, 08:52:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also with no experience (I'm married but have never done anything I would consider normal dating or courtship), I'm not sure if you need to apologize, since it's questionable as to whether or not you actually did something wrong.  You don't want to set a standard where you apologize for no wrong-doing.  Whether you do so is up to whether or not you feel your actions have been justified.

However, I would explain the situation honestly to her.  If I'm reading the it correctly, your previous reaction was based on your own sensitivity to how you'd been treated.  Now you realize that you let your emotions get the best of you, regret what happened as a result, and would like to give the relationship another change.  Don't say that stuff if it isn't true, but that's how your post read to me.
My basic position on the situation is that she showed vulnerability, you said you weren't interested, and now she's hurt and off going and doing something else.  Now that you haven't bounced back you want her back, but... well, you've been on two dates and it sounds like a lot of your wanting to go out with her again is interest in smooching.  That is, in my experience, going to be a hard sell.

It's possible that you might be able to work something out, but ... frankly, if it was me, I'd be done.  On the other hand, I'm pretty mercurial.

Anyway, good luck.  I hope this turns out well.
I would not talk to her again. You told her to call you if she changed her mind. Breaking your established protocol will do no good. Maybe she calls you back, maybe she doesn't.

You've already been on dates with multiple women, you're over the major difficulty hurdle. Don't fall into desperation, it makes you look bad.

I think I might have to go with MSH here. It's kind of the hunch I already had, that I shouldn't succumb and make myself look desperate.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63612 on: July 12, 2013, 09:58:34 am »

My upper right brace's arch wire has moved over the past month and is now sticking about a centimeter out from the rearmost bracket and is cutting a vertical gash into my inner cheek. It hurts every time I move my jaw, especially when eating, and I kinda worry it'll get infected >_>
Dentist appointment is next Tuesday or Thursday. Not sure if I should deal with it until then or undergo the hour-long trip to the dentist.
Get a pair of pliers?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #63613 on: July 12, 2013, 10:34:38 am »

Oh great, those types :x

Either try to place it back in (if at all possible), or visit the dentist in your nearest free time--make time for it.

Though judging by this wording, it seems that the wire has caused a wound in your mouth, right? GO TO A DENTIST. If you meant by it just jutting out from the bracket--it won't get infected. It's just maligned.

...Oh right, vertical gash (missed that).

GO TO A DENTIST. 

Sorry to hear that happen to you Skyru.. I know how it feels having braces myself. Not good. :'(

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63614 on: July 12, 2013, 11:15:45 am »

Style. A carefully cultivated, paper-thin air of aesthetic merit. All the appearance of virtue, with none of the substance. Inside might lack redeeming value, but at least it looks nice on the surface. Good job, self.

You can't take care of anyone else. You can barely provide for yourself. You sustain yourself with food, water, resources, the concern and time and energy of your friends and family... consuming these things for years and years, in a lifetime of self-indulgence. For all the sacrifices and entropy and consumption necessary to sustain you as an organism... for all that the world and its people have provided you, your greatest offer back to the world is stylishness?

Is there anything of real substance in you? Anything of merit to offer? Anything at all to justify the burden your daily existence represents, be it as an organism or a person? Is there a point to you at all, beyond sustaining your own existence? I am not sure there is.
Great artistic skills, a caring personality, a good head for the systems that our world runs by, and apparently a willingness to provide for other people... I'm not good at paying people compliments but even I didn't have much trouble coming up with that... If you're unable to provide for yourself right now I seriously doubt it's your fault, this is something just about everyone is struggling with in one form or another.
Frankly I think from what I know that you've done pretty well for yourself considering the circumstances.
Pages: 1 ... 4239 4240 [4241] 4242 4243 ... 8158