Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3590 3591 [3592] 3593 3594 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8840560 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #53865 on: October 10, 2012, 06:45:07 pm »

We've found microbes living in the cores of nuclear reactors.  I'm not worried about life disappearing.  Just us.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53866 on: October 10, 2012, 06:45:34 pm »

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure some extremophiles deep in the crust would hold out until the bitter end. Microbes can be tough little bastards.
We've found microbes living in the cores of nuclear reactors.  I'm not worried about life disappearing.  Just us.

I was gonna say this, but ya'll beat me to it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53867 on: October 10, 2012, 06:47:36 pm »

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure some extremophiles deep in the crust would hold out until the bitter end. Microbes can be tough little bastards.
yes, but by this point, the earth's water is gone.

life that we know of cannot survive without water. then again, there may be some in some form of hibernation, so...

This confounds me. Science is looking for life only on planets with water... That's insane. Who's to say that there isn't life out there that doesn't need water? Oxygen was utterly inimical to life until a good deal of time into the evolution of life.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53868 on: October 10, 2012, 06:48:26 pm »

We had better use nuclear failsafes to be sure everything really is dead, then. I'm not leaving extremophiles to sit around and not do science and repeat memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53869 on: October 10, 2012, 06:50:00 pm »

We had better use nuclear failsafes to be sure everything really is dead, then. I'm not leaving extremophiles to sit around and not do science and repeat memes.

There is only one solution:

MAAAAGMAAA
He's fucking with us.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53870 on: October 10, 2012, 06:51:05 pm »

yes, but by this point, the earth's water is gone.

life that we know of cannot survive without water. then again, there may be some in some form of hibernation, so...

This confounds me. Science is looking for life only on planets with water... That's insane. Who's to say that there isn't life out there that doesn't need water? Oxygen was utterly inimical to life until a good deal of time into the evolution of life.
I've read up on alternative biochemistries that don't use water. Below the freezing point of water and orbiting a K-class or later star? Fucking ammonia. Really cold? Ethane/methan mixture. Hell, there's been theoretical biochemistries proposed where liquid hydrogen or helium is used a solvent.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53871 on: October 10, 2012, 06:54:35 pm »

Or, you know, seed Titan. Less work.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53872 on: October 10, 2012, 06:55:54 pm »

Science is looking for life only on planets with water...
What do you mean by this? We barely even have to ability to detect water on extrasolar planets, let alone look for life.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53873 on: October 10, 2012, 06:57:45 pm »

What do you mean by this? We barely even have to ability to detect water on extrasolar planets, let alone look for life.

Oh gods, I just realized I got that idea from the History Channel. >.< All their little documentaries on possible alien life talk about how there'd have to be water. And I'm like, "That's dumb. Incredibly dumb."
He's fucking with us.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53874 on: October 10, 2012, 06:58:20 pm »

Or, you know, seed Titan. Less work.
FREEZE TITAN!

IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO.. uhh...

I dunno. what will we achieve?

A ball of methane ice, water ice, ammonia ice, and rock, all wrapped in a shell of nitrogen ice?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53875 on: October 10, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »

Oh gods, I just realized I got that idea from the History Channel. >.< All their little documentaries on possible alien life talk about how there'd have to be water. And I'm like, "That's dumb. Incredibly dumb."
History Channel is so full of shit it isn't funny anymore.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53876 on: October 10, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »

History Channel is so full of shit it isn't funny anymore.

Where is George Tsoukalokoulas when you need him...
He's fucking with us.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #53877 on: October 10, 2012, 08:46:24 pm »

This girl I went to high school with. She dropped out of college after a year and moved to California, but god does she have the most interesting life out of anyone I've ever met. I'm more jealous of her than anyone in the world. She's not particularly successful and she's not any happier than anyone else, but she's actually doing something besides going to a boring college to get a boring degree to get a boring job.

I hope I have the guts to do something like that before it's too late.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53878 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:21 pm »

This girl I went to high school with. She dropped out of college after a year and moved to California, but god does she have the most interesting life out of anyone I've ever met. I'm more jealous of her than anyone in the world. She's not particularly successful and she's not any happier than anyone else, but she's actually doing something besides going to a boring college to get a boring degree to get a boring job.

I hope I have the guts to do something like that before it's too late.

... This is a small part of why I did drugs. Because crazy ass shit happens when you're on drugs. Nothing is boring.

This is not an endorsement of drug use. This poster does not encourage drug use, underage alcohol use, or any derivative there of. Please contact this poster if you want to do drugs, I'll tell you horror stories to scare you off.
He's fucking with us.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53879 on: October 10, 2012, 08:50:23 pm »

Hanslanda, help me! I can't stop gaming and hence causing endogenous morphine to be produced!

Kidding.
Pages: 1 ... 3590 3591 [3592] 3593 3594 ... 8158