Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698689 times)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2535 on: February 17, 2010, 06:11:43 pm »

So how do I generate the fortress? Am I supposed to put the SS download into a normal DF folder with the fortress already made?
For the record, Stonesense is best off in a folder of its own. This can be a subdirectory of DF if you like, but if you start mixing the DF files with the Stonesense files then there's a chance you may overwrite something you needed...

Usage is:
Start DF
Get a game up and running
Start Stonesense
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:13:47 pm by kaypy »

EatMoreHippo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: February 17, 2010, 10:30:50 pm »

So how do I generate the fortress? Am I supposed to put the SS download into a normal DF folder with the fortress already made?
For the record, Stonesense is best off in a folder of its own. This can be a subdirectory of DF if you like, but if you start mixing the DF files with the Stonesense files then there's a chance you may overwrite something you needed...

Usage is:
Start DF
Get a game up and running
Start Stonesense

Thanks, it's working now. Forgive my noobiness.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: February 18, 2010, 08:07:43 am »

Is there a minimum screen size? I run 1440 x 900 and wanted to set up DF and Stonesense to run side by side but setting the resolution to 720x900 gave me a "unable to set graphics mode" error.
You need to shrink it a little vertically so the titlebar and stuff will fit.

Had to chop it down to 700x700. d16 doesn't seem to like this resolution though so I might have to do top/bottom split screen. Or maybe I just need a bigger screen... 50" maybe.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: February 18, 2010, 08:57:02 am »

with any luck, either the next version, or one further down the line, will have re-sizeable windows, so you won't have to worry about that anymore.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: February 18, 2010, 11:36:06 am »

Unfortunately I could not achieve my dream of DF on one monitor and Stonesense on the other.  Running D16 fullscreen, stonesense gave me an error whenever I tried to start it up.  I can't recall the exact error now, but it looked like it was having trouble getting a graphics handler up and running.  I'll try again later.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: February 18, 2010, 11:37:46 am »

And why do you run d16 fullscreen? You can run it in window and drag-resize it with your mouse to fill the whole screen. At least it works for me this way.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: February 18, 2010, 04:10:14 pm »

And why do you run d16 fullscreen? You can run it in window and drag-resize it with your mouse to fill the whole screen. At least it works for me this way.

Because A) I prefer the more immerse fullscreen experience, and B) d16 kills Aero

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: February 18, 2010, 09:16:51 pm »

Because A) I prefer the more immerse fullscreen experience, and B) d16 kills Aero

DF never killed aero style windows for me on either vista or win 7... and drag, resizing has the exact same effect as full screened except for 1 tile missing in height that you can miss safely but doesn't matter because D16 adapts to whatever new side the window is.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2543 on: February 18, 2010, 09:17:31 pm »

DF never killed aero style windows for me on either vista or win 7... and drag, resizing has the exact same effect as full screened except for 1 tile missing in height that you can miss safely but doesn't matter because D16 adapts to whatever new side the window is.
Yeah no problems here either with aero for any version

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: February 19, 2010, 04:05:25 am »

You're probably doing it wrong. You are able to resize the window to fill the whole screen without any parts of windows UI being visible.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: February 19, 2010, 03:52:44 pm »

Don't know what to tell you - I'm just using the ranting rodent prepackaged setup: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1684.  And for future reference, "you're probably doing it wrong" isn't really useful advice.

In any case, once I f11 out to windowed version, I can run stonesense just fine.  It is truly beautiful.

I just wish that DF could give me a hint as to the location of the magma on the map - I don't want to have a maze of crisscrossed tunnels marring an otherwise well thought out fortress.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2546 on: February 19, 2010, 04:45:43 pm »

Don't know what to tell you - I'm just using the ranting rodent prepackaged setup: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1684.  And for future reference, "you're probably doing it wrong" isn't really useful advice.

In any case, once I f11 out to windowed version, I can run stonesense just fine.  It is truly beautiful.

I just wish that DF could give me a hint as to the location of the magma on the map - I don't want to have a maze of crisscrossed tunnels marring an otherwise well thought out fortress.

There are reveal tools you know. If they feel to cheaty, something quick and dirty could be hacked together to reveal only the magma. Or some other arbitrary restriction.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: February 19, 2010, 05:07:04 pm »

That's true.  I guess I can just use reveal on a backed-up save, spot where the magma is, then revert to my normal game.  Thanks, mizipzor!

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: February 19, 2010, 05:36:14 pm »

Visualization like Stonesense makes the game really more accessible and interesting for less "computer-able" people. My girlfriend is constantly pestering me with questions "What is that?" "What is that dwarf doing?" etc. and she would really like to give it a spin herself too but it seems way too complicated with ascii graphics (even with some nice graphics pack) and of course the interface is a killer.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #2549 on: February 19, 2010, 08:58:48 pm »

looking at this again, it should be doable procedurally to mesh things into this sort of order. {[ITEM]->[GRASP/STANCE]/(extermity)->(connections toward body)} in order bottom to top, in back, STANCES before GRASPS
{[LOWERBODY]->[UPPERBODY]->[NECK]->[HEAD]}
{(connections from body)->(extremity)->[ITEM]->[GRASP/STANCE]} for the "front"ward bits.
(bodypart)->(equipment on that bodypart, UNDER->ARMOR->OVER->COVER) unless it has a STEP, in which case draw it after all those bps/equipments it STEPS over.

Shields would not work with it, though, nor would pincer-held items, nor prone/non-upright critters. hmm...shields are easily excepted. Pincers are just where one finds out GRASP parts need separating, and prones/not uprights can just be made to have their body draw order anterior to posterior or vice versa,like we're going distal to proximal or the other way when needed.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 379