Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698794 times)

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #3510 on: July 16, 2010, 06:02:52 pm »

Hey Japa, you mentioned a few pages back you're the only active dev. Why is that? People just busy at the moment?

everybody's busy. me too now

Awww, so this is the end for Stonesence development? Sure is a pity, you guys did awesome though.

Wow, that's a jump.

For most volunteer-based coding project, it's not. If all the devs lose interest, it's usually more common for a project to just cease development, since by the time new people are brought online, the community itself has moved on.

For example, 31.10 is still not supported. The community is moving on.

Jeez, mate, give them some time to catch up. They aren't your personal coding monkeys, you know.

Keep your pants on, allright?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Star Guarded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bravemule
« Reply #3511 on: July 17, 2010, 12:38:38 am »

Yeah, seriously. They can take all the time they want to. I appreciate that they use their free time to give us a fantastic application. No one is "moving on" or whatever. I was only asking because it would have sucked if he had meant the other developers had stopped working on it, but that they're just busy is good news.

MP2E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: July 17, 2010, 12:50:59 am »

So a project is dead instantly because the volunteers are busy for a little bit? Wow. Ridiculous. :| Look at all the time, code, and resources that have been put into this project? I don't see it "dying" any time soon. Even if the developers did quit on it I'm sure a few months later someone new would jump on board and bring it up to date

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: July 17, 2010, 11:04:10 am »

So a project is dead instantly because the volunteers are busy for a little bit? Wow. Ridiculous. :| Look at all the time, code, and resources that have been put into this project? I don't see it "dying" any time soon. Even if the developers did quit on it I'm sure a few months later someone new would jump on board and bring it up to date

hey, that's what happened in my case.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: July 17, 2010, 03:42:01 pm »

Just because something has alot of time in it doesnt mean it cant die.. if obsidian ever gets working this will disappear. Your more likely to see some1 make a completely new project instead of picking up an old one as they get the glory.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: July 17, 2010, 04:45:04 pm »

Just because something has alot of time in it doesnt mean it cant die.. if obsidian ever gets working this will disappear. Your more likely to see some1 make a completely new project instead of picking up an old one as they get the glory.

I don't want to take the flamebait here, really, but...

Just... No.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: July 17, 2010, 05:21:11 pm »

if it helps anything the memory.xml for runesmith seems to work just fine in stonesense for version .10.

It's not a real update of course, but it would get it working.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: July 17, 2010, 08:05:59 pm »

if it helps anything the memory.xml for runesmith seems to work just fine in stonesense for version .10.

It's not a real update of course, but it would get it working.

I tried to replace the Memory.xml with the one from Runesmith, but it still got stuck at 'connecting to df'. Did you modify anything else to get it to work?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: July 17, 2010, 08:53:59 pm »

Well it's the graphics version.  So I don't think it would work with legacy.   And I actually just copied the entries for runesmith's .09 and .10 xml entries (right above the linux penguin) and pasted it into stonesenses' xml.

It should be the exact same thing to just copy the whole file.  But if it's not working maybe I'm wrong.

I took this from the runesmith memory .xml
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And it goes right above the linux penguin in stonesense's .xml file right after the last </entry>  in the windows block. 

That should get it working with the graphics version.  Remember I didn't find these values, the guys at Runesmith, Therapist, and DFHack did from what I understand.

P.S. Also note that these values are just a random thing I decided to try that happened to work.  I haven't come across any problems but note that these values have not been fully tested in stonesense.  I'm not on the team and only have dabbling programming skill.  If anyone wants me to take these down, just give me a holler in PM or here.  And I'll remove them as soon as I see the message, and I apologize in advance.

P.S. #2  You may want to back up your old memory.xml.  These values seem to work for some, and not others.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:11:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Joishi

• Bay Watcher
  • Joishi has withdrawn from society!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: July 17, 2010, 09:23:12 pm »

adding that code into the spot you mentioned worked for me!!  (But I started with the .08 memory.xml file from the file depot AND I'm using the SDL version)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:27:40 pm by Joishi »

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: July 17, 2010, 09:31:28 pm »

adding that code into the spot you mentioned worked for me!!  (But I started with the .08 memory.xml file from the file depot AND I'm using the SDL version)

Thanks!

After downloading the .08 xml file and copying the code mine works too :D

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: July 17, 2010, 09:53:19 pm »

Worked for me :D now to try to get the adamantine spire to output, any suggestions on what settings other than software and 2k odd z segmentsize_z to try to grab the whole 2072z tall spire?
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: July 17, 2010, 10:05:09 pm »

For some reason, still isn't working for me. I have SDL .10, Stonesense, and the .08 Memory.xml file. I copy that code into the .xml, using wordpad, right next to the last Windows </Entry>, and the same problem still occurs as before - a black box pops up upon running, sits there for 10-15 seconds, then crashes with no error message. In the report file, all I get is

Stonesense launched
Using allegro version 4.9.20 r0
4096 works.

Once for each time I run it. Any help? I'd like to take a look at my most current fort in Stonesense, haha.
"...Although, how you misplace an entire corpse is beyond me."

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: July 17, 2010, 10:12:55 pm »

Adding that code also gives me a crash right after I press F9 to connect.  It says "connecting to DF" for a few seconds (no flashing) then crashes.  I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: July 17, 2010, 11:08:40 pm »

Hm... unfortunately I can't really help with it crashing.  I only have a general idea on how to read xml, only enough to have figured out where these entries go really, and haven't even seen any of the stonesense code.  I only know a few lines of any real programming languige, (thus dabbling) and probably wouldn't be able to figure it out even if I looked.

All I can think of is maybe the tokens being placed in the wrong spot, though these forums tend to be pretty good at that kind of thing.  Here's more of my own memory.xml (includes the .08 data and linux penguin.) in case there is any misunderstanding with the location instructions.  The .9 and .10 entries are bold It seem to need them both as they appear to use previous versions as a base even though stonesense probably wouldn't work properly on .09 even with these entries judging from the comments.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's really all I can think of. 

And yea, as others said you will need the entries for .08 as well (I had mistakenly assumed they came with the last release).  I don't recall exactly where I got the .08 numbers shown here, but I assume I pulled them from the file on the depot. 
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 379