Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698727 times)

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4395 on: December 05, 2010, 02:06:19 am »

Well software mode worked but it's 5-7 times slower. It was slow before but now it takes 38-46 seconds to move the screen N,S,E,W or up or down by 1 square. Any possibilities to make it faster while it still being on software mode?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: December 05, 2010, 02:14:40 am »

software mode really is just for taking a full screenshot. it's way too slow for regular usage.

also, there's a nice little progress indicator in the top bar.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: December 05, 2010, 02:49:33 am »

I understand that but I can't even take a full screenshot because once I load the picture there I can't change it anymore without it taking many many minutes.
Oh and... progress indicator?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: December 05, 2010, 02:51:53 am »

when you take the big screenshot.

it's best to just open the init.txt, change the viewed z levels to whatever you want to show, and move DF to the top level of the fort before taking the shot, then change the settings back, so you don't have to move around much.

the next version will have a faster software renderer.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #4399 on: December 06, 2010, 06:22:37 am »

Hi there,

Excuse me, didn't read the 294 previous pages. I did read the wiki and the first few pages of the post.

I can't have StoneSense working. I'm using DF Phoebus 31.18 and StoneSense Slate 2.2.
I firt launch DF, then while i'm ingame, i i launch SS, i hit F9, and here i see an infinite "connecting to DF..." screen.

What i am doing wrong ?

Dwarf Therapist seems OK.

Thanks for your help.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: December 06, 2010, 06:41:05 am »

Hi there,

Excuse me, didn't read the 294 previous pages. I did read the wiki and the first few pages of the post.

I can't have StoneSense working. I'm using DF Phoebus 31.18 and StoneSense Slate 2.2.
I firt launch DF, then while i'm ingame, i i launch SS, i hit F9, and here i see an infinite "connecting to DF..." screen.

What i am doing wrong ?

Dwarf Therapist seems OK.

Thanks for your help.
You downloaded the wrong version, you need to go to the future and download stonesense version 2.3 which has .18 support.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #4401 on: December 06, 2010, 07:04:05 am »

Oh, i see. Thank you. I hope my dwarf will live long enough to warp to the future.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: December 06, 2010, 07:34:23 am »

actually, the memory.xml linked in the first post works for most things other than creatures.

Lokomotivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: December 06, 2010, 02:14:55 pm »

Just update it for the love of Armok :'( Stop torturing us, I'd like to see my creatures!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: December 06, 2010, 02:30:02 pm »

How many times does it have to be said that the Stonesense folks have nothing to do with the DFHack offsets?

The reason there are no creatures is because the DFHack memory offsets for creatures  are currently unknown.  That's the DFHack guys(and I'm sure they are doing their best), not Stonesense.  I'm sure it will be updated when those become available.  Unless of course all the developers of every Dwarf Fortress utility didn't get tired of answering the same question over and over again, by the time it gets out.

The game is free, the utilities are free, the folks working on DFHack are doing it for free.  The folks complaining about Utility A or B or what have you are entitled to NOTHING.  Seeing this complaint in the Stonesense thread bugs me even more than when I see it in others because Stonesense is at least 90% functional with what offsets are known!  The complaints are about one of the little bells and whistles not working properly.

Remember what happened to Visual Fortress?

It will happen when it happens.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:36:04 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4405 on: December 06, 2010, 02:36:21 pm »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: December 06, 2010, 03:15:16 pm »

It does make one think...

If someone, say with lots of money, was able to organize the various mod leaders into a single group.  The makers of the Dwarf3D program, the makers of  DFHack, the makers of Stonesense, etc.  If they got them all together in one group, would EPIC happen? or would they end up killing each other?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: December 06, 2010, 03:29:40 pm »

If someone, say with lots of money, was able to organize the various mod leaders into a single group.  The makers of the Dwarf3D program, the makers of  DFHack, the makers of Stonesense, etc.  If they got them all together in one group, would EPIC happen? or would they end up killing each other?
They'd better have a lot of money for Toady, too, if they plan on pulling a stunt like that.  ::)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4408 on: December 06, 2010, 03:38:09 pm »

They'd better have a lot of money for Toady, too, if they plan on pulling a stunt like that.  ::)
I don't follow. You're saying that if people who have made mods for Dwarf Fortress get together and make something cool on their own, they have to pay Toady?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: December 06, 2010, 04:18:25 pm »

I don't follow. You're saying that if people who have made mods for Dwarf Fortress get together and make something cool on their own, they have to pay Toady?
There's a fine grey line.  Personally, I have no problem paying someone to make Stonesense, et al. but there are some that would say even derivative works that rely on Dwarf Fortress should be approved by Toady or deemed "illegal" or immoral.  It's kind of like how Blizzard claims rights to game data in the memory of your computer and any application that alters that data is infringing on their property.

My personal stance on the issue is that it's perfectly fine to pay and play someone's mod as long as they do not ship with Dwarf Fortress files.  If you provide a method of downloading DF from the original source and instructions on how to set it up, I see no problem there either.

I fall in the line of people that says any data created by any application I launch that is saved to my RAM/Disk is mine to read or modify in any way I see fit.  (I had to word that proper... I do not find it cool to share compiled code unless approved by the original author, but any "compiled" data that uses my CPU to compile it is free game.)

If Toady wanted to stop modding (and that's his choice) he could easily implement one of the many memory obfuscation algorithms.  Currently, IMHO, he approves all "DFHack" style modding by not making an effort to stop it or providing an alternative interface to the data.  That's a good thing in my opinion.  It shows that he knows people want to play his game, but they need X tool to do it.  It should inspire him to add similar features.  He has the advantage of being able to compete with the mods.  He has a better interface and knowledge of that data... so it should be marginal for him to compete.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 379