Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698754 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4410 on: December 06, 2010, 04:57:56 pm »

Well my dream is for everyone to work WITH Toady on intagrating these things into DF.  But the problem is that this is at the Core Toady's creation, and it shoudn't be up to anyone to take it over as it where.  Thats why its more of a dream of mine, Having Toady work WITH the creators of these other mods and have them become part of the game.

As far as money goes, well DF is free, all the mods are free, the only thing that would be considered worth paying money on is the time of working in general.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: December 06, 2010, 05:52:41 pm »

As far as money goes, well DF is free, all the mods are free, the only thing that would be considered worth paying money on is the time of working in general.
Sure, but nobody lists their work schedule. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: December 08, 2010, 11:03:08 am »

Well my dream is for everyone to work WITH Toady on intagrating these things into DF.  But the problem is that this is at the Core Toady's creation, and it shoudn't be up to anyone to take it over as it where.  Thats why its more of a dream of mine, Having Toady work WITH the creators of these other mods and have them become part of the game.

Toady shouldn't have to fit "working with people" into his schedule.  As long as they aren't bundling software or resources that Toady created, anyone can organize anything they want with DF mods.

Dark-Star

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: December 08, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »

You win the Internet. Seriously.

While ASCII art works very well for some games, like ZZT, something like DF really needs actual graphics. The tilesets felt to me like a half-baked patch, I've seen GBA games with better. And here you lot go and create this awesomeness!

The fan additions are icing on the cake...and this cake is not a lie!  8)

BTW, is this compatible with 31.18? Or will I need to wait a bit?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: December 08, 2010, 12:18:44 pm »

it's kinda sorta half compatible.

no working creatures.

kolt16

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: December 08, 2010, 03:02:59 pm »

An idea has been bugging me since the new release. I was going to ask Toady about it, but it might be better to bring it up here.

The base is that since the new military system and all the equipment related stuff I'd love some graphical feedback on equipment worn or used by dwarfs or adventurers. Theoretically it should be possible even in standard df if the graf engine that picks the sprites would check for equipped items as well. Though there are some issues, first being the 16x16 sprites with limited zoom ability, you have to look at your monitor from like 2cm if you want to see what's the dude wearing (made an example of this based on Phoebus/Shr dwarfs, can upload it in .psd if someone wants to see it), and the other issue being that I don't think the game supports sprites built from multiple images with transparency. Than I realized this is exactly what stonesense does with facial features and such.

So here is the actual question, would it be possible to memory hack out more prominent equipment pieces and use them to overdraw a "blank" figure of say a military dwarf? If it is that brings up some more questions like what should be drawn? I'd say for testing ignore material types, and use only base weapons, and maybe helmet, chest armor, and greaves.

If this would be implemented with some examples on how to use, I'd be glad to make base sprites for this stuff, until someone with more talent does some realy nice ones. Also now that df uses adventurer grafs based on weapon skill it could be applied there to..

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #4416 on: December 08, 2010, 04:15:16 pm »

@kolt16: What you describe is very much possible, to my knowledge. And I agree it would be pretty awesome to see. It might be a little beyond the scope of what Stonesense is supposed to do right now, but I'm not against the idea as long as the performance impact would not be too large.

A nice concept study would be for someone to make a program that draws actual representations of dwarfs' equipment and "paperdoll" it together.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: December 08, 2010, 04:28:58 pm »

An idea has been bugging me since the new release. I was going to ask Toady about it, but it might be better to bring it up here.

The base is that since the new military system and all the equipment related stuff I'd love some graphical feedback on equipment worn or used by dwarfs or adventurers. Theoretically it should be possible even in standard df if the graf engine that picks the sprites would check for equipped items as well. Though there are some issues, first being the 16x16 sprites with limited zoom ability, you have to look at your monitor from like 2cm if you want to see what's the dude wearing (made an example of this based on Phoebus/Shr dwarfs, can upload it in .psd if someone wants to see it), and the other issue being that I don't think the game supports sprites built from multiple images with transparency. Than I realized this is exactly what stonesense does with facial features and such.

So here is the actual question, would it be possible to memory hack out more prominent equipment pieces and use them to overdraw a "blank" figure of say a military dwarf? If it is that brings up some more questions like what should be drawn? I'd say for testing ignore material types, and use only base weapons, and maybe helmet, chest armor, and greaves.

If this would be implemented with some examples on how to use, I'd be glad to make base sprites for this stuff, until someone with more talent does some realy nice ones. Also now that df uses adventurer grafs based on weapon skill it could be applied there to..
@kolt16: What you describe is very much possible, to my knowledge. And I agree it would be pretty awesome to see. It might be a little beyond the scope of what Stonesense is supposed to do right now, but I'm not against the idea as long as the performance impact would not be too large.

A nice concept study would be for someone to make a program that draws actual representations of dwarfs' equipment and "paperdoll" it together.

CobaltKobold and belannaer already did some work in this direction:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43260.msg901876#msg901876
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43260.msg1583926#msg1583926

kolt16

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: December 09, 2010, 04:12:14 am »

CobaltKobold and belannaer already did some work in this direction:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43260.msg901876#msg901876
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43260.msg1583926#msg1583926

Well it's good to see others had this idea too, so it's not to outlandish. On the other hand it's kind of a bad omen that this was brought up almost a year ago and since than nothing happened in this direction apart from a few cool looking draft pages. We realy need a programmer to the cause.  :D

Edit:
Hm reading up a bit more on this stuff, I guess it's first a matter of df hack supporting inventory, just like with items on the ground.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 04:41:22 am by kolt16 »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: December 09, 2010, 04:14:24 am »

we were actually pretty close at one point.

we just need to get the inventory info from DFhack, which apparently is doable.

kolt16

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: December 09, 2010, 05:03:34 am »

That's enough for me, guess you guys have your hands full at the moment but when you have time, it might worth a try. I'll make some sprites based on stonesense current ones, may save some time for someone. :D

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #4421 on: December 09, 2010, 09:16:28 pm »

issue: I load it up it tells me a error has occoured and it needs to close... the it tells me it can't load "images/beefmolarge_ocean.png" or along those lines. Then it automatically crashes. subsequent trys  lead me to the latter error and crash.
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: December 09, 2010, 09:20:51 pm »

which os and setings?

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #4423 on: December 09, 2010, 09:26:31 pm »

xp. settings? i have the lazy newb pack on... only thing I changed was turning off aquifers..
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: December 09, 2010, 09:28:14 pm »

open the index.txt file, and try commenting out some of the lines by putting a '#' in the beginning
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 379