Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698750 times)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #5355 on: February 23, 2012, 06:30:57 pm »

Sadly, the two worlds where I encountered this have been deleted with the arrival of the new version of the mod I am using, I will upload it if it ever does it again, but so far no problem with my last two worlds, apart from a possible memory leak (lags more and more, had to close it before it freezes my computer).

This memory problem seems to be recurrent and caused by massive amount of "forced" refresh.
Following DF screen for 250 Z-levels down, then up, down and up again, it started to update far less frequently even before reaching the bottom the first time.

Like after any other problems, closing the window (pressing ESCAPE in my case) will flush the lag, but reopening it will cause the window to come back in the state it was before closing, thus having huge lag from the beginning (even my mouse cursor on my screen only updates every 10 seconds or so when it is in this state.

After some further tests, it appears that the memory used by the process DwarfFortress.exe will take a huge memory space upon opening the program through DFHack, as it uses the same process, and the memory will rapidly go up if following the DF screen.
Furthermore, the allotted memory is not flushed upon closing StoneSense, and opening it again will cause an other batch of memory grant.

What is amazing is that it made DF memory usage go far over my personal record with Firefox of 1.5GB (made it to 2GB before I forcefully closing the thread).

I could upload the world I did it in this time if you really want this, but I had the same results with other modded and un modded worlds, so I doubt it is coming from that.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: February 23, 2012, 07:19:59 pm »

About the sprites, what kind of style would you prefer them in? As in realistic like the fire in
That mist sprite doesn't really work cus it's just flat, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or vector style like the dwarf sprite?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: February 23, 2012, 09:18:18 pm »

no prefrence

SpoonOfDoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: February 24, 2012, 03:13:38 am »

If I understand correctly, the full fortress screenshot is supposed to work again, but it still doesn't for me. Am I the only one? Might have something to to with embark size and limited RAM, I guess. If I hit CTRL + F5, I get an error message that the screenshot could not be made (so far, so good). But if I use the CTRL + SHIFT + F5 method, not only stonesense, but also the game itself crash. Might be worth looking into that and give an error message there instead of crashing, if that is possible.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: February 24, 2012, 03:39:53 am »

I'm curious. How easy/difficult would it be to add caste (not gender) specific sprites to creatures (is this possible at the moment for modders?) and could stonesense potentially recognise clothing and armour?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: February 24, 2012, 04:09:11 am »

If I understand correctly, the full fortress screenshot is supposed to work again, but it still doesn't for me. Am I the only one? Might have something to to with embark size and limited RAM, I guess. If I hit CTRL + F5, I get an error message that the screenshot could not be made (so far, so good). But if I use the CTRL + SHIFT + F5 method, not only stonesense, but also the game itself crash. Might be worth looking into that and give an error message there instead of crashing, if that is possible.

That's from running out of memory, and yes, somebody should fix that.
I'm curious. How easy/difficult would it be to add caste (not gender) specific sprites to creatures (is this possible at the moment for modders?) and could stonesense potentially recognise clothing and armour?

Actually pretty easy for the caste thing, if would have been in this release if not for having forgotten about it.

The clothing issue is more complicated, and might need things to be re-written if we don't want things to get out of hand.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: February 24, 2012, 04:59:38 am »

I just want to leave some feedback on recent graphical updates. I don't mean to offend You, but it looks to me that the prettier Stonesense gets, the less readable it is.

Compare:

and

In the first one I can see all the trees, bushes and creatures at first glance. In the second the flowers look pretty, but it is so seamless, I can barely make out the squares. There are some trees in the lower right corner, but they take some effort to notice. Creatures, and especially dwarfs meld with the background too much to stand out.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:01:11 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: February 24, 2012, 06:09:57 am »

There's actually a few text files you can change to disable all of that.

in DF/stonesense, there's an index.txt. Open that, and stick a hash (#) in front of the grasses/index.txt to get the old grass back.

and in DF/stonesense/vegetation/index.txt, put a hash in front of DT_trees/dt_trees.xml, and remove the one from #trees.xml.

The dwarves shown there are just plain wrong.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: February 24, 2012, 03:07:31 pm »

In the first one I can see all the trees, bushes and creatures at first glance. In the second the flowers look pretty, but it is so seamless, I can barely make out the squares. There are some trees in the lower right corner, but they take some effort to notice. Creatures, and especially dwarfs meld with the background too much to stand out.

*sigh*

Serves me right for posting screenshots of stuff that isn't working.  In the future I'm going to be more careful not to post things that I broke. 

There are definitely tradeoffs between clarity and how much you can show on the screen at once.  In DF many people prefer the default ascii to graphics packs because it lets you see a lot of stuff clearly.  There is a balance to be struck for sure. 
where is up?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: February 24, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »

Japa's fix works (thanks Japa), tough stonesense for 0.34.02 hanged soon after firing it up. It also lagged for like 2s every time I moved cursor around on a paused game on a fresh embark.

Personally I favour clarity, and even noticed that creatures are often easier to tell apart with letters than with pictures. For example in my 31.16 Phobeus fort I had trouble telling apart dwarves and goblins. Not so with Rhesus Macaque, who at the time were simply 'm'.

I do understand, that some people will prefer prettiness to clarity (and those flowers and spider webs do look pretty impressive), and am fine with it, as long as there are options for both.

I rarely ever use stonesense (mostly as a visualizer to look at constructions from a different angle, and across a few Z-levels, and not while I'm playing, because I like FPS, and don't have room to fit both DF and stonesense on a single 24' monitor.

Anyway, the picture below is pretty enough for me, while being very clear: (This is a work in progress on future release of My Little Pony mod (where you play as ponies, pegasai and unicorns), and is not part of official Stonesense, AFAIK)

Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: February 24, 2012, 06:28:42 pm »

Hey, I was wondering if it was possible to do subsprites with buildings like with creatures. I would like to make a bed whose posts and frame matches the material and blanket will be given a color with RGB values. Of course it isn't just going to be beds, but it serves as a good example for the question :)

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: February 24, 2012, 10:06:02 pm »

subsprites work with /anything/

This is a full guide on configuring the sprites, and quite a lot of buildings already have colors like that. Axles, for example.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: February 24, 2012, 10:17:52 pm »

Hey, I was wondering if it was possible to do subsprites with buildings like with creatures. I would like to make a bed whose posts and frame matches the material and blanket will be given a color with RGB values. Of course it isn't just going to be beds, but it serves as a good example for the question :)
Yeah - beds in fact already do exactly what you're describing:
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<building name="Bed" game_type="Bed">
  <sprite index="81" color="building" />
  <sprite index="101" />
</building>

I went to make a screenshot of this, but noticed something odd:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some of my peasants are being registered with the job "thief".  Took a poke around adventure mode and there is some more job weirdness.  Is this likely a DFHack bug, a stonesense bug, or did I break something?
(note - this is in the downloaded precompiled version of DFHack/stonesense on a clean install of vanilla DF)
where is up?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: February 24, 2012, 10:23:22 pm »

Hm... hat is pretty weird... I'm gonna have to look into it.

EDIT: yup, it's a DFhack problem.

EDIT EDIT: Nope, it was a stonesense problem and is fixed in the next version.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:15:38 pm by Japa »

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: February 24, 2012, 11:16:24 pm »

subsprites work with /anything/

This is a full guide on configuring the sprites, and quite a lot of buildings already have colors like that. Axles, for example.

Can't believe I missed this file  :-[ Well, I'll be pouring over this. BTW I do not see PositionIndex...is this being phased out?

Yeah - beds in fact already do exactly what you're describing:
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<building name="Bed" game_type="Bed">
  <sprite index="81" color="building" />
  <sprite index="101" />
</building>

Good to know, I'm still "translating" the copious amount of xml files, lol

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 379