Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698675 times)

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #5415 on: February 27, 2012, 02:24:04 am »

I have done you some 64x64 fire. It is at 4 different heights now because that seems to make more sense.
Spoiler: larger Image (click to show/hide)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: February 27, 2012, 10:14:21 am »

By Armok's fiery beard japa, that is awesome! :D

Eurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: February 27, 2012, 09:58:09 pm »

What's the deal with full-map screenshots? I know it's listed as a known issue, but what's the issue exactly? Because I can get the single z-level version to work (I think if my embark size is small enough?) but stonesense locks up sometimes afterwards. The multiple z-level one just always locks up.

I mean this feature is kind of the only reason I want to use this, so I'd like to know if any of these problems are on my end and fixable, or if what I described is the known issue.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: February 27, 2012, 10:01:24 pm »

issue is that it takes up far too much ram, both system and video, to be useful.

I need to re-do the entire thing to be more system friendly.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: February 27, 2012, 10:37:14 pm »

OK, I guess I'm done doodling bugs for the moment, at least until I start on bugmen. 

The dwarves with multiple sets of clothing is really interesting to me, though, and I'd like to know what sort of format I would need to put in for dwarfy paper doll action to go on.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: February 27, 2012, 10:52:01 pm »

I'm still working on it, so things may change once I manage to get specific clothing items to be supported, but right now it goes something like this:

<variant caste="FEMALE" sheetIndex="0" color="bodypart" bodypart="skin" >
      <subsprite sheetIndex="3" color="bodypart" bodypart="hair" />
      <subsprite sheetIndex="4" />
      <subsprite sheetIndex="86" color="helm"/>
     <subsprite sheetIndex="88" color="shoes"/>
     <subsprite sheetIndex="89" color="armor"/>
    </variant>

right now it can only take the material color from the worn item, and I missed pants by accident, but I plan on being able to chose a specific item of clothing for the sprite, which with vanilla DF will be any of these:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

but I haven't quite figured out how I'm gonna implement it yet.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: February 27, 2012, 11:11:24 pm »

I meant more along the lines of "what sort of images would I need to make that sort of thing work?" 

I'd be rather interested in seeing this work, so if you want me to whip up custom sprites for it, just give me the specs.  I did a lot of layer-based paper-dolling on the nagas graphics when adding all the little job-based hats and baubles, and seeing paper-dolling in-game would be something pretty exciting. 

I do wonder if there might be a way to make some parts of this based upon jobs, rather than just physical appearance, though, since having the ability to tell the legendary engraver from the novice soap maker would be more important, if less visually stimulating, than just what they're wearing (when they all generally wear the same thing).

I've never actually used Stonesense before, since it seemed a bit of a hassle to get up and running, and I was pretty fine with just mentally picturing my forts (which I made fairly vertical and deep underground, anyway).  These new features, though, make me very interested.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: February 27, 2012, 11:19:45 pm »

This is the sprites I have for goblins, which were made before I had coloring by armor part, but would still work fine for that.

first sprite is the skin layer, second is hair, third is parts that shouldn't be colored, and the last is the clothing layer.
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<creatures>
  <creature gameID="GOBLIN" sheetIndex="0" file="gobbos.png" color="bodypart" bodypart="skin">
    <subsprite sheetIndex="1" color="bodypart" bodypart="hair" />
    <subsprite sheetIndex="2" />
    <subsprite sheetIndex="3" color="profession" />
    <variant sex="F" sheetIndex="4" color="bodypart" bodypart="skin">
      <subsprite sheetIndex="5" color="bodypart" bodypart="hair" />
      <subsprite sheetIndex="6" />
      <subsprite sheetIndex="7" color="profession" />
    </variant>
  </creature>
</creatures>

Here the clothing is colored according to profession, using the same colors as DF

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: February 27, 2012, 11:26:50 pm »

Is there anything like having different poses based upon profession or the like?  (So that, for example, I could create a different sprite for recruits, normal soldiers, and weaponlords on how they hold their weapons, which could in turn be different from profession poses.)

Also, does this require the magenta background, or do transparencies work?  Transparencies are good for the "soft" appearances and shading that I like to do.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: February 27, 2012, 11:52:39 pm »

magenta gets converted to transparency, and transparency works as well.

you can have as many poses as you want, but you'd have to have a different set of clothing for each one, likely.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:49 am »

Transparency also makes it easy to just use different layers on the same base template before copy-pasting everything out.

If you don't mind either splitting this up into a grid or else having a really, really long picture, I can do different beard styles, armor styles, weapons, etc. 

I'm thinking something like having a more aggressive stance for weaponlords, and marksdwarves would need a different pose from melee dwarves, and so would most two-hander weapons. 

I'd also have to draw individual weapons differently, instead of just going by the skills, the way that the graphics tiles did, so it's going to wind up a pretty large paper doll file. 

I guess I'll do a male dwarf, unless you want me to do humans or something, instead?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: February 28, 2012, 12:09:05 am »

Is there anything like having different poses based upon profession or the like?  (So that, for example, I could create a different sprite for recruits, normal soldiers, and weaponlords on how they hold their weapons, which could in turn be different from profession poses.)

Also, does this require the magenta background, or do transparencies work?  Transparencies are good for the "soft" appearances and shading that I like to do.

Yo - check my sig for the progress I made with dwarf/goblin/human sprites before you decide to reinvent the wheel on anything. 

Feel free to use/change anything there, and if you want I can send you the original *.psd files (they have a checkerboard layer for getting the sizes right).  I think my *.png files are also already transparent. 

As for what I've been up to more recently:
Spoiler: hello ladies (click to show/hide)
I am a wizard of mspaint.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:11:04 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: February 28, 2012, 12:26:40 am »

That ram's pimpin' it strong.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: February 28, 2012, 12:42:50 am »

If you don't mind either splitting this up into a grid or else having a really, really long picture, I can do different beard styles, armor styles, weapons, etc. 

All sprites are arranged in a 20*Y grid.

why 20? hell if I know.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: February 28, 2012, 02:58:13 am »

Are you going to hardcode the equipment list or is there going to be support for adding custom stuff?
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 379