Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698719 times)

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #5595 on: March 26, 2012, 11:23:36 pm »

are the open boxes supposed to be bins? and the things that look like acorns are barrels, right? the sticks on the top right are logs?

I mean no offence, only constructive criticism... right now they don't give the feel of stacked goods on a stockpile, more like a bunch stuff scattered over a wide empty space, maybe if they were made bigger as to fill the tile like in-game??

Maybe bins would look better closed? they give the feel of a toy well for some reason..
Barrels: the sprite on the still looks great, maybe something like that but rotated 90º (standing)? or on its side like that could also work out with a foot stand or something, like in a wine cellar.

I think it was already that way but... the coffins: whenever I built one always tough "why do they look so small?" when seeing them next to a bed in what I think is either a furniture stockpile or a very cluttered dormitory with some dwarves having a mechanism fetish, I can see why: coffins are smaller than beds, maybe I'm thinking about dwarven mausoleums like the dwarf tomb inside moria in the lord of the rings, a big stone coffin should look bulky... not the same size as the bed, but at least as long and only a little thinner.

Great work nevertheless! can't wait to play with this!  :D

Draw me new sprites. These ones are terrible.

Ahm woikin on it, Ahm woikin on it! Sheesh!

;D

EDIT: Japa, Do you have a way of telling what's inside? I'd like to do a decal based on whats contained. Also I want to have the drink barrel on its side on struts while other barrels will be upright.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:26:12 pm by cousac »

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: March 26, 2012, 11:30:17 pm »

We actually can tell what's inside. But I would need to do some work to actually use it.

The info is there, though.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: March 26, 2012, 11:39:03 pm »

What do you need to use it? **curiosity is piqued** And Japa your opinion on my amateur attempt at "art" would be wholly appreciated ;)

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:04 pm »

It's nothing to complicated. I just gotta add in the code that reads the contents of the containers, and then add in some sprite info.

Anyway, the main issue with the clay is the sun angle. It's... wrong, pretty much.

If you look at all the other sprites, the top face is the lightest, the right face is the darkest, and the left face is in between.

Start with a white block, and try to get the lights matched up with this one, so things will match existing sprites. Then work on other things.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: March 26, 2012, 11:50:24 pm »

It's nothing to complicated. I just gotta add in the code that reads the contents of the containers, and then add in some sprite info.

Anyway, the main issue with the clay is the sun angle. It's... wrong, pretty much.

If you look at all the other sprites, the top face is the lightest, the right face is the darkest, and the left face is in between.

Start with a white block, and try to get the lights matched up with this one, so things will match existing sprites. Then work on other things.

I see what you mean! :p :)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: March 26, 2012, 11:57:54 pm »

Well, here's where I am so far, going to bed, so I'll just put these up for critique now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just can't keep myself from doing some of the more complex icons once I am getting going...  I might have to do shading on that armor, too.

Oh, and that scalpel is there in the blues for the fish dissector.  I'm going to copy-paste a fishy for all those, so it'll be under the scalpel like the puppy was for the animal dissector.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: March 27, 2012, 12:40:43 am »

Last post for tonight :)

I think I got it this time. Doing the white block was a 'duh'  Why didn't I think of that! oye! Anyway, I'll leave you with this screenshot and wend my way to bed.

PS: What does stonesense mean by "extra sprites"?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: March 27, 2012, 12:50:00 am »

Extra sprites where?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: March 27, 2012, 01:40:22 am »

Well, here's where I am so far, going to bed, so I'll just put these up for critique now.

I just can't keep myself from doing some of the more complex icons once I am getting going...  I might have to do shading on that armor, too.

Oh, and that scalpel is there in the blues for the fish dissector.  I'm going to copy-paste a fishy for all those, so it'll be under the scalpel like the puppy was for the animal dissector.
Looks quite interesting.

The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: March 27, 2012, 05:13:47 am »

Extra sprites where?

under the debug cursor it'll sometime say "1 extra sprite" or "2 extra sprite"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: March 27, 2012, 06:56:35 am »

Oh, that's just showing the number of extra misc sprites that are stuck onto the tile. Mainly buildings and plants go there.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: March 27, 2012, 12:37:48 pm »

When making the profession icons, should I make a graphic icon for the "category" jobs?  For example, the dark blue fishing icon will have a fish with a fish hook for fisherdwarves, a fish under a scalpel for fish dissectors, and a fish fillet for fish cleaners.  Should the general "fishing" type dwarves just be an empty dark blue, or should it be a dark blue with just a fish?

I could put in icons for the rest of them, of course, like that puppy for the generic animal-based dwarves, or a metal bar for the metalworkers, or a gem for the gemworkers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: March 27, 2012, 03:17:23 pm »

OK, bored now, so I'm going to go do something else.

I also have some things like a pile of wood that can go in that yellow icon for general wood workers and such, although I'm not sure how to express "generic craftsman".

Tell me if any of these icons need reworking or are confusing.  I wound up making most of the "crafter" types wind up being various forms of goblets/cups/mugs.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: March 27, 2012, 03:35:23 pm »

I think that mason may be better with stone/bricks.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: March 27, 2012, 03:36:37 pm »

I think that mason may be better with stone/bricks.

*sigh*  I really heavily debated doing that, too...

I can throw away the hammer icon and do bricks if others agree.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 379