Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696501 times)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1620 on: November 30, 2009, 06:56:50 am »

[Soz for double post]
No dice, fresh install of both, DF's running, gen'd world, play now!, paused, launched stonesense, F9, no map loaded in the top right.
Hmm. What DF version is this? Have you tried hitting R or the arrow keys?- if you trigger a manual refresh, SS might find your map then. "No map loaded" normally means you have DF running (and detected) but sitting on the title screen. Note that once it senses that state, it isnt safe to keep loading the map over and over, so it stops autoloading until something manual causes a map to be detected
Also Stonesense.log just has a massive amount of ok's
Oh, thats right, I hadn't gotten non-verbose mode working back then. 8-/

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: November 30, 2009, 07:16:16 am »

...argh flat shadow on sloped terrain
Sorry. I cant really have a bunch of different sized of shadows and then also have a different shadow per size per ramp style...

I could try moving them up a bit if they are on a ramp:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: November 30, 2009, 08:08:57 am »

Ever think of doing something completely insane and allowing multiple sprites for a single thing to allow appearance varience?

Though I am mostly thinking in the case of trees.

Yes I know I am insane and the only reason I can even mention this is because I am not the one making them.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: November 30, 2009, 08:42:04 am »

Ever think of doing something completely insane and allowing multiple sprites for a single thing to allow appearance varience?

Though I am mostly thinking in the case of trees.
I was mostly thinking in the case of walls, but yeah. Oh, and you'll find Japa's clay floors already do this (because DF itself has multiple tile types to represent its multiple floor sprites)

And here was me just about to ask "Can anyone think of any possible reason to have more than one sprite for a tree?". Silly me.

Yes, I really *was* about to ask that- I'm figuring out the tree xml format right now...

gilrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: November 30, 2009, 09:35:11 am »

Sorry. I cant really have a bunch of different sized of shadows and then also have a different shadow per size per ramp style...

You can't do it technically (programming-wise, that is), or you can't do it because that's a lot of shadows to be drawing? I mean, they're circles, I am sure that most of the spriters reading this are more than capable of drawing a bunch of slanted, bent, and half-circles.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #1625 on: November 30, 2009, 09:45:54 am »

You can't do it technically (programming-wise, that is), or you can't do it because that's a lot of shadows to be drawing? I mean, they're circles, I am sure that most of the spriters reading this are more than capable of drawing a bunch of slanted, bent, and half-circles.

To be honest I simply think we should focus our programming efforts on more important matters. Of course, we do accept patches if you wanna have a go at it ;)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: November 30, 2009, 09:51:40 am »

Wait, those are not harpies but giant bats!

This is Harpy:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I haven't recieve an official reply for:

Should I redraw them or are they OK?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:53:22 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: November 30, 2009, 10:00:29 am »

This is Harpy:

Anyway, I haven't recieve an official reply for:

Should I redraw them or are they OK?

I like em a lot :) some more than others of course. I like the isometric perspective ones, because they fit in better with the other creatures. Especially nice is the frogman, the harpy, the antman and the ettin. The warewolf is a really great sprite too, but I couldn't tell he was a warewolf.. I dunno why, I'm no artisty type :p but I had to look it up in your posts what he was ;p
But still damn nice work! Like I said, I think the iso perspective ones fit in best :)

Edit: oh and Kaypy was probably only using the harpies as a test.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:02:50 am by jonask84 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: November 30, 2009, 10:27:34 am »

Well, I agree that werewolf needs reworking.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: November 30, 2009, 10:48:32 am »

Ok, so I think I;m finally happy with the zombie/skeletal versions I've got now.. and spent some time actually arranging and touching up my sheets... so it should get alot easier now that I don't have to keep going backwards anymore!

Animated sprites: baby->female->male->skeletal->zombie

And my sprite sheet so far:

To soup: Those are some awesome edits! I took your idea of the exposed ribs (that really did look great) and applied it to mah froggy! But I think I'm beginning to agree with who ever it was that suggested it (sorry) and try to tone down the excitement levels of my zombie versions... skeletons on the other hand should look like theyre on speed imo!

To Afthartos: Thats looking great, but I agree with deon in that you need to work on the shading now, he should turn out pretty spiff.

To Deon: I love your demon guy next to your antman, also the ratman is super adorable :P

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: November 30, 2009, 10:52:48 am »

They're harpybats- they have the body of a harpy and the sprite of a bat. They are a close relative of the horsebats you saw in some of my previous posts 8-)

Ok, so I think I;m finally happy with the zombie/skeletal versions I've got now.. and spent some time actually arranging and touching up my sheets... so it should get alot easier now that I don't have to keep going backwards anymore!
One thing- we dont actually need multiples of the same sprite when it is reused in animations. (Although it may still be the easiest way to indicate the frames in the animation...)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 30, 2009, 11:15:45 am »

Is it practical to parametrize the frame timings in the text file?  I guess you probably already thought of that.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1632 on: November 30, 2009, 11:25:40 am »

Update!
<3

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 30, 2009, 11:36:37 am »

Left image is original, middle and right new attempts.

I've increased the contrast between legs, added a slight highlight on the upper left of the left arm and ear, added differing degrees of body shading, and removed an unfortunate bright spot.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 30, 2009, 11:37:34 am »

Looks good Jones :D
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 379