Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696560 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1740 on: December 01, 2009, 02:29:34 pm »

Plus, all the outfits have giant external nipples. It just makes you seem creepy.  I believe someone requested something like this earlier.

I had an old save where human traders were visiting.

I was just going crazy with all the stuff. So I followed the style. Note: no external nipples on the males :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: December 01, 2009, 02:35:20 pm »

Am I the only one that's bothered by how many passable tiles Stonesense has that look like they're impassable? Trade depot and tables are the main offenders, I think.
~ T

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: December 01, 2009, 02:44:14 pm »

Personally, my brain can cope fine with the non-iso sprites in the iso-drawn world.  What bothers me about 7c's pic above is the fact that the sprites look like they were drawn by different people.  I know that they were drawn by different people, but that's not the point.  They don't look uniform.

Specific points that come to mind: colouration in the Humans vs. Dwarves: the dwarf's clothes use significantly fewer colours than a human equivalent.  The eye styles are also different (this is probably the most glaring of the errors).

The animals also appear to be washed out or faded and not drawn with the same colour intensity as the other sprites.

Personally (and I would like a final word from a dev on this lengthy topic), I would rather have a complete set of 2D, uniform sprites at this stage in the game than go through redrawing all that we've done.  I love the styles and I love the gestures of the "current" sprites (that's not to say they won't change).

As for object facing direction, it should be a piece of cake.  Each chair can simply check in a radius of 1 around itself for a table.  If a table exists, draw the sprite in the appropriate direction.  Similarly, creatures can change face by tracking their own movement.  If 1 frame ago I was East of where I am now, draw sprite facing West, else draw facing East.

Am I the only one that's bothered by how many passable tiles Stonesense has that look like they're impassable? Trade depot and tables are the main offenders, I think.

Trade depot needs its own unique sprite combo (like the carpenter shop/still) rather than a mashing columns into an X shape.

Also dwarf tits creep me out.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #1743 on: December 01, 2009, 02:54:19 pm »

I think the general shape of the female dwarves is excellent. I also think that the ruby lips and external nipples could be toned down a bit. =)

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: December 01, 2009, 02:57:26 pm »

Another bit of a peeve is that glass windows are so thin and are without corners, and glass blocks, like all other masonry-based walls, appear exactly identical. Either I have an opaque dome, or I attempt to fake it with windows and have to deal with overhanging floor tiles.
Wood blocks and metal blocks are also built with masonry.
To the best of my knowledge, a constructed wall made from wood blocks still uses Carpentry, rather than Masonry. Glass and stone, however, do use Masonry.

Also, the female dwarves frighten the hell out of me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:03:12 pm by Winterbrass »
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: December 01, 2009, 03:18:21 pm »

Plus, all the outfits have giant external nipples. It just makes you seem creepy.  I believe someone requested something like this earlier.

See?  7hatchcover's humans look great in there. Those dwarves...less so, as others note. The animals are in between.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: December 01, 2009, 03:29:00 pm »

As one of the women on the forum, please don't make your female dwarves look like whores.  It's fine that they have large bossoms (because I really think dwarven women would have a giant chest), but you don't need to show the nipples.  The light pink lips on the female miner seem to look fine.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #1747 on: December 01, 2009, 03:32:35 pm »

am I shaling it right

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: December 01, 2009, 03:33:26 pm »

As one of the women on the forum, please don't make your female dwarves look like whores.  It's fine that they have large bossoms (because I really think dwarven women would have a giant chest), but you don't need to show the nipples.  The light pink lips on the female miner seem to look fine.

I was wondering when I would finally see a post like this.

I agree with you (also their bodies are a bit too rotund) but even now I still can't believe the female dwarves were made seriously... even though Deon keeps saying they are.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: December 01, 2009, 03:35:26 pm »

I disagree.
I believe all the sprites on the screen as shown are just fine.  The only issue is that of detail when it comes to how the sprites are coming across.  For instance, one set of sprites has detailed lighting and the other side seems to largely ignore light.  If this were solved that problem would vanish and the two sets of sprites would blend distinctively well.  I like the idea of races being visually distinct even to the point of being abrupt, which I believe only reinforces the fact that these are two completely separate cultures; such a distinctive contrast can even be found in history if you would compare English fashion of the 1600s to Japanese fashion:
English Fashion (1640s)

Japanese Fashion (16th Century)

but they should still share lighting detail and the way materials are drawn; even if the Dwarves were far more subdued or subtle in their details.

For instance, Humans here are represented with very highly-faceted and intricate pieces of armor and clothing.  Dwarven clothing is simple, dyed mono, and undecorative.  Functional versus fanciful.  Seems a perfect contrast for getting the information of 'what race is this' across immediately even irrespective to the heights in either sprite.

I would also like to say that I agree that the nipples are a bit ridiculous.  I find it 'out of character' for female dwarves to be so overt in representing and displaying their sexuality and appeal to fashion just the same as I would find it out of character for male dwarves to have unbuttoned shirts, trimmed faces, and heavily emphasized bright colors on their clothing. :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:47:14 pm by Firgof Umbra »

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #1750 on: December 01, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »

am I shaling it right

Yes, from where I'm standing that looks just right. Nice work btw :)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: December 01, 2009, 03:38:17 pm »

Have to agree, the female dwarves by Deon look very inappropriate, please try a different style Deon as I think your wasting your time on these, their not likely to be used seeing how many people object too them.  I'd like too see what 7cents can do perhaps establishing a 'base' dwarf body to work on as we saw with the blue human forms that were done after the fact on humans.  If all the intelligent races got a similar set of 'blues' made it would really help to keep everyone on the same page even as different people make the numerous derivative types.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: December 01, 2009, 03:40:08 pm »

One of the largest problems with the size of the bodies and breasts is it makes quite a few of the female Dwarves faces look seriously smushed, ugly, and/or hairy.

It needs work.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: December 01, 2009, 03:42:50 pm »

meh Deon's look awesome, but I guess they could be toned down.

Also I've got rid of GIMP and got Graphics Gale so can someone tell me the diemensions of the box that a single unit is in?
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #1754 on: December 01, 2009, 03:44:45 pm »

Heheh, those human traders look like they could take over the whole fort if they decided to make trouble. Best not to demand they hand over their goods, I think...
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 379