Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204553 times)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1860 on: February 26, 2010, 07:06:33 am »

that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard, and I've listened to the sound of myself ramming headfirst into a building  >:(

...I'll start dumping water into my farm.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: February 26, 2010, 06:34:09 pm »

What about (1) how can I make passage ways into the air, literally?
Stairs can be built straight up into air, but only one level at a time, and will provide support for any other constructions. I think that's what you meant, anyway...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: February 26, 2010, 07:03:14 pm »

Is there a way to choose which objects should be encrusted with gems, because my gem setter keeps encrusting barrels.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: February 26, 2010, 07:09:04 pm »

Not without physically forcing them to.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: February 26, 2010, 07:09:12 pm »

Hi again,

1. How can I make bridges which are only attached by the 2 extremities? Let's say I start from a cliff and want to pave my way into the air, what command should I use?
Um... you should be able to just build bridges out into open air, as long as you have a solid foundation for the side the bridge raises towards (which side this is can be changed when you designate it). You can also use floors, but they can't be raised, obviously. I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #1865 on: February 26, 2010, 09:34:45 pm »

Not without physically forcing them to.

Although in my experience, the jewelers tend to grab furniture that's closer to their workshop; I don't like to have mechanisms bejeweled, so I segregate them on the far side of the furniture storage from the jeweler's place, and they never get used.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: February 26, 2010, 11:39:59 pm »

Why can't my dwarves catch anything in a constructed pool which has cave fish visibly popping up in it?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1867 on: February 26, 2010, 11:45:01 pm »

Because the visual appearance of fish popping around is actually completely unrelated to whether a body of water will produce fish when fished.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: February 27, 2010, 12:04:40 am »

THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!!!
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: February 27, 2010, 02:16:32 am »

My millstone doesn't work.

Lvl 1:

+++ +=floor
+0+ 0=millstone
+++

Lvl 2:

---  +=floor
+0- 0=vertical axle(receiving power)
---

Lvl3:

+++++   +=floor
+www+  w=windmill (producing power)
+www+
+www+
+++++

What could be wrong? :/
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: February 27, 2010, 02:56:38 am »

That SHOULD work... You don't have anything built directly over the center square of the windmill, do you? And there's no floor between the axle and the millstone, right?

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: February 27, 2010, 03:44:45 am »

And there's no floor between the axle and the millstone, right?
Damn,I knew I forgot something obvious :/
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: February 27, 2010, 06:29:44 am »

strange problem...

I created an underground pond that I filled a bit with buckets of water from the outside. But the water disappears progressively! How can it be, I believed that underground, ponds don't evaporate? Or I must reach a certain level of water to do so, like 4/7 or more?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: February 27, 2010, 07:32:09 am »

strange problem...

I created an underground pond that I filled a bit with buckets of water from the outside. But the water disappears progressively! How can it be, I believed that underground, ponds don't evaporate? Or I must reach a certain level of water to do so, like 4/7 or more?

You hit the nail on the head: water evaporates until it reaches a certain level. I think a safe level is 3/7, i.e. 1-2/7 will evaporate.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: February 27, 2010, 09:49:58 am »

I love playing pocket worlds and I had some questions about how my settlement affects world populations. 

1. When I receive migrants, does that number of of new migrants get subtracted from the Mountain Home from wince they came?  The mountain home only has 50 dwarves...

2. The goblin tower has like 13 goblins and 2 captured dwarves, does this low pop ultimately affect the size and frequency of attacks I will receive.  Like if 5 goblins attack will that mean there are 5 less goblins at the goblin tower?
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 181