Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2747932 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12765 on: December 10, 2012, 12:30:02 pm »

Meh. First time it happened, I managed to get one shipload full of Assault Infantry back to Earth, where I rationalized them as "volunteer" units made of from a groundswell in recruiting after Earth's first big planetary victory against the "Wraiths" (as I had dubbed them in that particular game). But when it kept happening, especially with Hvy Assault Troopers, I just had to delete them. Not to mention the moment you get them, the Combat Transports are usually suffering from being years past their maintenance life, and start falling apart immediately.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12766 on: December 10, 2012, 03:30:54 pm »

1. Check the system. Is it a nebula?
2. Check the Task Groups window for the new battlegroup. Look at the Cur/Max speed indicators at the top-middle of the window.
3. Check to see if some random ship with a low maximum speed ended up in the TG somehow.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, barring a ship with battle damage or something.

Oh I missed this. It was number 2, thanks. It seems to set itself to 769km/s every time I add a new ship to the fleet, despite each new ship being the same design. Ah well. Thanks fella.
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12767 on: December 15, 2012, 12:35:12 am »

Welp, it seems my Geosurvey duo are really determined to go and see what's on Jupiter, because the stupid fuckers ran out of fuel on the way back to Earth.

They're pretty much SOL, how do I get them toed/refueled so I can get them home? I don't want to make more once they break down.
I need to put something interesting here.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12768 on: December 15, 2012, 12:36:59 am »

Welp, it seems my Geosurvey duo are really determined to go and see what's on Jupiter, because the stupid fuckers ran out of fuel on the way back to Earth.

They're pretty much SOL, how do I get them toed/refueled so I can get them home? I don't want to make more once they break down.

Send another ship to their position and transfer fuel under the... F8 menu? The one that gives all the details about the individual ships. You should be able to find the button with a little snooping around.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12769 on: December 15, 2012, 12:50:40 am »

Send another ship to their position and transfer fuel under the... F8 menu? The one that gives all the details about the individual ships. You should be able to find the button with a little snooping around.

Alright, going to do that.

My military fleet doesn't have the range to pick them up, and after a voyage that took several years, I am thoroughly annoyed. Time for an overhaul of my fleet.

Going to send my grav fleet. They are pretty much identical to my geo ships, and have roughly same range. After a refuel at Earth, I'll combine and equalize fuel if your method doesn't work.

Edit: Hot damn! It worked. I've got my combined Geo/Grav fleets back, split them up, and adjusted the conditions on their refueling slightly.

Thanks for the help. Now to improve my military, because 392km/s is pathetic.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:56:21 am by Gamerboy4life »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12770 on: December 15, 2012, 01:44:55 am »

With the new rules I've found myself making most of my military ships woefully short ranged, with more use of tankers.
At low tech levels my military fleet can barely get out of SOL with enough fuel to return.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12771 on: December 15, 2012, 11:06:12 am »

Alright, so I've sent my geosurvey ships to go start scanning asteriods, because none of the planets save Venus and Mars have any materials, and if they do, then it is either too little or too hard to get to in the time that I need them. I desperately need Sorium, as it's going to run out in a few years, and I could use more Duranium.

None of the asteriods have minerals either, which annoys me. In the old release, pre 6.0, minerals/materials were much more abundant, it seemed to me.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12772 on: December 15, 2012, 12:30:31 pm »

Comets in Sol are almost always saturated with minerals.  I'd survey those before checking out any asteroids. The only thing that sucks is there are no conditional orders for just surveying comets so you have to check the System Map for which comets are close by and manually queue all of them up.

I hope someone can help me...  I'm running Vista, and when I open Task Manager and try to set Aurora.exe to "high priority" I get a message saying access is denied.  I'm running Aurora as administrator... can't figure out how to make it happen.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12773 on: December 15, 2012, 12:34:29 pm »

So, I haven't played this game in like at least a year. Has it changed much? What's the dev working on at the moment?
Also, what's the kind of average level of weapons needed per ship to survive a fight? I put what I thought was ample weaponry on my ships when I last played and they got absolutely obliterated.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12774 on: December 15, 2012, 12:37:04 pm »

I hope someone can help me...  I'm running Vista, and when I open Task Manager and try to set Aurora.exe to "high priority" I get a message saying access is denied.  I'm running Aurora as administrator... can't figure out how to make it happen.
Try running task manager as an administrator, if that doesn't work then turn UAC off (assuming you can do that in Vista), if that doesn't work rage at Microsoft for so frequently making severely flawed OSes and upgrade to 7 (assuming that at this point it remains worth it to get a small performance boost).

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12775 on: December 15, 2012, 01:05:47 pm »

Try running task manager as an administrator, if that doesn't work then turn UAC off (assuming you can do that in Vista), if that doesn't work rage at Microsoft for so frequently making severely flawed OSes and upgrade to 7 (assuming that at this point it remains worth it to get a small performance boost).
Thanks for the suggestions, originally I set all my access permissions to "full" and thought that should be enough.  Didn't work until I turned off UAC.  Now I can get back to progressing through this NPR battle 5-20 seconds at a time  :'(

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12776 on: December 15, 2012, 01:10:46 pm »

who the hell uses vista? it was shit before it came out.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12777 on: December 15, 2012, 01:19:46 pm »

I do :D

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12778 on: December 15, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »

So, I haven't played this game in like at least a year. Has it changed much? What's the dev working on at the moment?
Also, what's the kind of average level of weapons needed per ship to survive a fight? I put what I thought was ample weaponry on my ships when I last played and they got absolutely obliterated.

The major changes are covered in this thread.

Main points.

Engine design has changed significantly. There are no longer specific fighter/gunboat/ship engines, engines are now designed at size you specify between 1 HS and 50 HS. Engine power can be specified(with research) from 10% to 300% of base power. Fuel use has increased significantly with larger and lower power engines being much more fuel efficient.

Crew has been given an overhaul. General crew requirements have dropped significantly. Ships now have a deployment time, specified when designed, that determines when the ship starts loosing morale. Longer deployment time required more crew quarters per crew man. Deployment clock is wound back by giving the ship shore leave at populated colonies or at ships carrying the new very large recreational module.

Sol system has been updated. Asteroid belts are now specified using real data than generic, Trojan asteroids, more moons, dwarf planets and many more comets have been added. Overall Sol now has many more bodies present which makes for a more interesting multi-faction game within Sol.

There are alos some new UI windows to help with managing large empires.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12779 on: December 15, 2012, 02:55:18 pm »

Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 1346