Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Help Wanted  (Read 68422 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Help Wanted
« Reply #315 on: April 28, 2010, 07:13:29 am »

So why aren't you guys making raws yet? The new version's out.

I've got a pretty good skunk going. I did it on a whim and it turned out to be a really hilarious mod--the spray nauseates hunters, so it actually does give the little guy a chance to escape as they stand there vomiting.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 28, 2010, 07:45:04 am »

Wow, good idea about a skunk. Borrowing :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 28, 2010, 11:47:22 am »

More spiders and snakes!  Awesome.

As for the game not handling 3000+ creatures. I think there is something when it comes for Toady modding the game to make it more compatable with many creatures, civilisations, and civ creatures.

Though I don't expect that to be in any Dev or for Toady to get to it for a long time if ever.

Yeah, I'm 90% sure that the problem could be solved by smarter raws loading, but who knows when he'll have time for that.

Did anyone with 2+ GB of RAM ever try generating a world with the stress test raws?

So why aren't you guys making raws yet? The new version's out.

I haven't had much time for Ark stuff, and when I do it mostly goes toward cataloging more creatures, which is at best 2/3 completed.  Mammals, amphibians and sharks/rays could feasibly be implemented now, though.  I guess people are waiting on me to make the templates, so I should probably work on that soon too.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 28, 2010, 12:26:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That seems to work pretty well for me. I suppose if it was a vapor spray/contact poison it would stick to the guy and he would keep vomiting until he had a bath, but I can't get contact poisons to work right. This was easier.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Used

• Bay Watcher
  • A cup of maggotmilk a day keeps the goblin away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 28, 2010, 12:39:38 pm »

Hey,
i stress tested the df with the raws.

Spoiler: My System (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: embarking finished (click to show/hide)

I have to say i haven't had much problems at all everything went pretty smoothly after setting priority to realtime (at normal priority system freezed)

DF consumed a maximum of 1399.980 MB of the 4GB RAM this value was after striking the earth. Frames were 70-80 (normal). From starting DF to setting the first stockpile passed about 15 minutes. Jeah.. enything else you want to know?

PS: The skunk is awsome =D. do you mind if we are also borrowing it? =)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:43:25 pm by Used »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 28, 2010, 02:02:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That seems to work pretty well for me. I suppose if it was a vapor spray/contact poison it would stick to the guy and he would keep vomiting until he had a bath, but I can't get contact poisons to work right. This was easier.

Expect to see yourself in credits after 1.6 is released :). Thank you.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Used

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 29, 2010, 04:14:45 am »

Hey guys,
I tryed to code some examples of my beloved spiders. It's very far from beeing finished, but i'ts a start. Have I done it corectly? Please someone review the lines i wrote so far.
I noticed this brings very many questions and new tasks with it. We quite likely have to create new body default raws - where do we place them? Different kinds of webs - leads to: make the silk from the webs usable? They have different colors, they could have different material values and so on...

Greetings

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 29, 2010, 11:47:07 am »

DF consumed a maximum of 1399.980 MB of the 4GB RAM this value was after striking the earth. Frames were 70-80 (normal). From starting DF to setting the first stockpile passed about 15 minutes. Jeah.. enything else you want to know?

That sounds consistent with what my friend observed in Arena.  It sounds like it keeps all the raws loaded, all the time.  So yeah, it could definitely be smarter.  Thanks for checking into that.

Hey guys,
I tryed to code some examples of my beloved spiders. It's very far from beeing finished, but i'ts a start. Have I done it corectly? Please someone review the lines i wrote so far.
I noticed this brings very many questions and new tasks with it. We quite likely have to create new body default raws - where do we place them? Different kinds of webs - leads to: make the silk from the webs usable? They have different colors, they could have different material values and so on...

Greetings

Oh cool!  Okay, here's what I noticed about the arthropod stuff:

1. I fixed the "anthropod"/"arthropod" typo.
2. The "Ark Body" template is actually for defining new body parts like in body_default.  The BODY tag (and the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN tag) used inside a creature definition still belongs in the creature raws (or more commonly, in its creature variation).
3. I changed the BLOOD material to ICHOR, in keeping with the vanilla arthropods.
4. You don't need to start our creature variations with CREATURE_VARIATION, and similarly the creatures don't have to start with a CREATURE tag.  That's boilerplate that can easily be filled in by the script.
5. I was thinking about putting an explicit SELECT_CASTE:ALL at the end, but I think it's essentially boilerplate too, so yeah, we can leave it out.  I've made a note about this on the new script planning page, which is a list of stuff that the script needs to do.

That's all I have time to look over right now, gotta run.  More comments later though!

Used

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 30, 2010, 07:28:18 am »

2. The "Ark Body" template is actually for defining new body parts like in body_default.  The BODY tag (and the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN tag) used inside a creature definition still belongs in the creature raws (or more commonly, in its creature variation).

I revised the raws I wrote yesterday and added the body correctly (At least I hope so). I coded the primary body components of these buddies like 8 eyes, "real" arthropod body and so on.

I also detailed the "house spider" (I don't know if you want to leave the name?) further. I also added a specific venom and some webs.

3. I changed the BLOOD material to ICHOR, in keeping with the vanilla arthropods.

I think we should alter the vanilla blood types. Most Spiders, other Arthropods and snails for example have blue blood, because they use Hemocyanin (our red blood uses Hemoglobin) to bind the oxigen delivered from the lung. It is blue because the oxigen molecule is bound by copper and rusted copper (Copper(II)oxide) is blue. And our blood is red because the oxigen molecule is bound by iron and rusted iron is *drum roll* ... correctly, its red  ;). Ok we should not exaggerate "reality" but that is a simple thing can be done in about five minutes.

4. You don't need to start our creature variations with CREATURE_VARIATION, and similarly the creatures don't have to start with a CREATURE tag.  That's boilerplate that can easily be filled in by the script.
5. I was thinking about putting an explicit SELECT_CASTE:ALL at the end, but I think it's essentially boilerplate too, so yeah, we can leave it out.  I've made a note about this on the new script planning page, which is a list of stuff that the script needs to do.

- Fix'd it.

Also some thoughts I had:
  • make spiders milkable for anti-venom?
  • make specific webs?
  • how long does a "TIMEUNIT" take ingame? - I met the value with the syndroms
Ready for discussion
greetings from germany and happy dwarfing to all you guys  :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:31:41 am by Used »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #324 on: April 30, 2010, 11:13:57 am »

Actually insects have transparent blood called hemolymph. Spiders included. The arthropods with blue blood are the crustaceans.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 30, 2010, 11:26:11 am »

Crustaceans definately has blue blood, and insects definately have colourless, but I'm getting conflicting information on spiders. Looks like I'll have to do a little "investigation" of my own...

Used

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 01, 2010, 10:46:18 am »

Actually insects have transparent blood called hemolymph. Spiders included. The arthropods with blue blood are the crustaceans.

Spiders aren't insects. Hemolymph is light blue (nearly colorless) and turns dark blue when exposed to the air.

Read more: http://scienceray.com/biology/zoology/spiders-have-blue-blood%E2%80%A6/#ixzz0mh2G3FE4
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:29:52 am by Used »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 01, 2010, 05:42:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure that it would be almost impossible to mod the RAWS so much that it would crash the game due to RAM overload. I modded DIG DEEPER in the last version to have over 500+ changes and it was still going strong, nobody had problems.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Used

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 04, 2010, 03:38:55 am »

*bump*

Anyone still interested in this? Please reply.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 04, 2010, 03:58:38 am »

I haven't had time to type anything up, but yeah, I've got feedback and will post it hopefully tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24