Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120648 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #315 on: February 27, 2010, 01:42:09 pm »

If you're going to be angry about something don't strawman it.  The prices are low, but I'm still paying extra.
Shoes...

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 27, 2010, 01:49:26 pm »

Yeah DLC is horrible. The dragonage stuff especially since there was a WHOLE CHARACTER as DLC.

I thought the character as DLC was free provided you actually bought the game, so it's more a way to stop people buying second hand or at least make some profit out of it than them trying to get more money off you after you've bought it off them.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 27, 2010, 01:52:51 pm »

There was still paid DLC on release, and free DLC on release doesn't make sense except as a way of sticking it to people who buy secondhand.
Shoes...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 27, 2010, 01:59:51 pm »

I thought it was only free with certain editions of the game? I got confused with all the different DLC and what came with which edition from which store. Which is another thing that annoys me... Nowadays if you buy a game, with all the pre-order DLC, and stuff, its starting to look like you wont ever be able to get it all, since you can only get some if you order from steam, some if you order from game, etc.

And yeah, the game publishers hate the second hand market for seemingly no good reason other than the fact that they think noone else but them should make any sort of money from games, ever, for any reason.  ::)

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 27, 2010, 03:47:30 pm »

I see release DLC less as "sticking it to people who buy secondhand" and more "incentive to buy when it comes out".  I've little problem with incentive, especially when you get a pretty complete game as it is -- though the upselling in-game is really a bit much.

Besides, people can just wait for the GOTY edition and it'll have all the DLC anyway.

Then there's Fable 2, which has come out on XBox Live as a series of "episodes".  And the first one's free, kid.  Now on the one hand, it's a great way to do a seamless transition from a demo to the full game ... but then again I can buy a used copy of it for a third of the price that all the episodes would cost.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 27, 2010, 03:49:50 pm »

It really came out in episodes? Fable 2 was barely good enough to buy as a complete game, let alone one installment at a time.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 27, 2010, 03:54:12 pm »

It sure did.  I don't think it's that terrible a game, but there's also a very tough hardened scar on my heart from the first couple of times Molyneux broke it, so I've learned to have low expectations.  It's certainly not worth the same price as Dragon Age or Fallout 3 though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 27, 2010, 04:04:18 pm »

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but on the topic of downloadable content (especially first-day DLC), what pisses me off even more than paying extra money for more of one game, is when you get a different game depending on how you buy it.

I'm not just talking about console-specific additions here (although I will murder every single employee of Sony for wheedling "Play as the Joker" to a Playstation exclusive in Arkham Asylum).  I mean the new phenomenon of getting extra content for preordering through Gamestop.  Obviously, it's only become a noticeable problem since Gamestop monopolized the dedicated electronic-gaming retail market, but it's fucking ridiculous that some customers would get a more complete product just for buying it at a particular store.

Where I think this finally crossed a line of insanity is Star Trek Online.  Essentially every vendor, especially the online vendors, offer their own particular "delux" edition for a few extra bucks, that come with additional abilities and bonuses in-game.  And we're not talking skins or models here, actual ability bonuses.  Think about that.  A persistent, competitive multiplayer game where you get extra powers and capability depending on where you got the copy and how much you paid for it.  Holy shit.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 27, 2010, 06:39:23 pm »

Well there's this, which ties into one of the big complaints on here.

Haha. The clearest thing that comic shows is that moral dispute with someone unconcerned with the morality of the action in question is fruitless.
Well now, this is funnier than the comic.

He's arguing with a straw man. That's made abundantly clear by the fact that he's talking to a scarecrow, which is literally a "straw man".

Now, what's funny about your post, is that you apparently missed that crucial element and so proceeded to further condemn the straw man.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 27, 2010, 06:46:52 pm »

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but on the topic of downloadable content (especially first-day DLC), what pisses me off even more than paying extra money for more of one game, is when you get a different game depending on how you buy it.

I'm not just talking about console-specific additions here (although I will murder every single employee of Sony for wheedling "Play as the Joker" to a Playstation exclusive in Arkham Asylum).  I mean the new phenomenon of getting extra content for preordering through Gamestop.  Obviously, it's only become a noticeable problem since Gamestop monopolized the dedicated electronic-gaming retail market, but it's fucking ridiculous that some customers would get a more complete product just for buying it at a particular store.

Where I think this finally crossed a line of insanity is Star Trek Online.  Essentially every vendor, especially the online vendors, offer their own particular "delux" edition for a few extra bucks, that come with additional abilities and bonuses in-game.  And we're not talking skins or models here, actual ability bonuses.  Think about that.  A persistent, competitive multiplayer game where you get extra powers and capability depending on where you got the copy and how much you paid for it.  Holy shit.

This makes me mad too.  Star Trek, Star Trek Deluxe, Star Trek Double Deluxe, Star Trek Steam Double Delux, Star Trek Cool Ranch, Barely Legal Teen Star Trek, Token Black Star Trek, the list goes on.
Shoes...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 27, 2010, 08:06:51 pm »

*O look 5 more minutes of gameplay and a new skin for a character! 50$ please*

Dead Space was the worst example I've ever seen. They were only charging a dollar or two per DLC, but the DLC was so lame... People were dishing out for a changed skin and increased weapon damage. Basically a cheat, I suppose.

The best DLC I've ever seen was for World at War. I think it was too expensive, but the whole evolving zombie mode was magnificent.

I think any competitive game where the developers give players advantages over each other for cash input are garbage, so I'd definitely agree with Cthulhu.

you apparently missed that crucial element

Yes, it looks like you are right.

Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 28, 2010, 03:16:34 am »

Shivering Isles was DLC.  Oblivion's flaws aside, you can't deny that SI was no Horse Armor.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 28, 2010, 04:02:51 am »

I enjoyed the part with the shade tree, the one that makes a copy of your guy but gives him a super-powerful sword. So i had to fight myself who was wearing some of the strongest armors in the game plus a stronger weapon. I had to drink dozens of potions to win that >_>

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 28, 2010, 04:15:10 am »

I enjoyed the part with the shade tree, the one that makes a copy of your guy but gives him a super-powerful sword. So i had to fight myself who was wearing some of the strongest armors in the game plus a stronger weapon. I had to drink dozens of potions to win that >_>
It uses the strongest weapon in your inventory, I think.

Shivering Isles was the best part of Oblivion, aesthetically. It had the same batshit insane charm of morrowind. The design of oblivion was otherwise so... dull, compared to morrowind at least. Because the cities had to be closed off areas, ostensibly because of console memory limitations, if I'm remembering right. So yeah, fuck the 360 and its shitty capacity for fucking over oblivion, closed cities meant poor city design, and no levitate. >:|

The open cities mod included another mod that had leyawiin redesigned to match early concept art. That singlehandedly made it the most awesome city in the game. Which was sad, because it just made all the others look worse compared to it. D:
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 28, 2010, 04:22:59 am »

No not the best weapon in your inventory, It copies what your wielding but the sword is a double handed longsword with massive fire damage (but that doesn't stop him from swinging it around with one hand with my uber reflector shield)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 66