Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120645 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #405 on: March 05, 2010, 02:27:59 pm »

Ah, Intellectual Property.

Step 1: I wants to make GM crops, but I can't patent so I can't make them pay for it.
Step 2: ~LOBBY TIME~
Step 3: Now I can patent my crop. Sell it to a few farmers who want the higher yields, tell them they can't save their seeds and they have to buy new every year.
Step 4: Cross-pollination means neighboring farmers' fields test positive for our GM crop. Time to sue for patent infringement!
Step 5: Just before the patent for Crop A is about to expire, create a slight variation and call it Crop B. Stop selling Crop A, sell only Crop B. Now the farmers are stuck under our new patent for a bunch of years!

I can't wait for them to start selling us air.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 05, 2010, 02:36:14 pm »

*cough*

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 05, 2010, 02:41:48 pm »

*cough*

At least they give us a jar to keep it in.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 05, 2010, 04:21:25 pm »

*cough*

At least they give us a jar to keep it in.

If we didnt we would have to go through that wretched ARM.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 05, 2010, 05:47:57 pm »

I suppose if you could genetically modify plants, you could make it so that they can't reproduce by themselves, and the seeds need to be made in labs. That might make the idea of selling them (for ludicrous profit, of course) a bit more sane.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 05, 2010, 05:50:56 pm »

I suppose if you could genetically modify plants, you could make it so that they can't reproduce by themselves, and the seeds need to be made in labs. That might make the idea of selling them (for ludicrous profit, of course) a bit more sane.

That would be difficult for two reasons:

1) With the exception of vegetables, the edible part of the plant is some part of its reproductive system.

Notably some of these, the edible portion is the seed.

2) No one would buy them.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 05, 2010, 06:40:22 pm »

We don't even need GM for that:
Bananas!

Intellectual property schmoperty.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 05, 2010, 06:49:22 pm »

That would be difficult for two reasons:

1) With the exception of vegetables, the edible part of the plant is some part of its reproductive system.

Notably some of these, the edible portion is the seed.

2) No one would buy them.

1) Who knows what science can do... give it a few yearsdecades.  People are out to screw other people for money, not so far fetched.

2) What if it tasted.... really good?  And/Or has addictive properties?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 05, 2010, 07:54:17 pm »

Actually, I think those already exist.

I'm having a hell of a time finding good info on them online though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenocarpy  This is the most I could find.

I remember hearing though about companies converting undeveloped countries to using modern agriculture techniques and then selling them genetically modified crops that don't produce seeds so that they have to keep buying from the company.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 05, 2010, 08:07:04 pm »

I remember hearing though about companies converting undeveloped countries to using modern agriculture techniques and then selling them genetically modified crops that don't produce seeds so that they have to keep buying from the company.

...Okay, let's get something clear here.  The vast majority of genetically modified crops are designed to be sterile, so they're seeds can't spread and reproduce.  It has nothing to do with squeezing money out of poor people.  It's because countries that can create genetically modified crops require by law that they be sterile, so the seeds won't cross with other crops or spread out of control, xenotransplantation of invasive species being a serious environmental problem.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 05, 2010, 08:08:39 pm »

...Okay, let's get something clear here.  The vast majority of genetically modified crops are designed to be sterile, so they're seeds can't spread and reproduce.  It has nothing to do with squeezing money out of poor people.  It's because countries that can create genetically modified crops require by law that they be sterile, so the seeds won't cross with other crops or spread out of control, xenotransplantation of invasive species being a serious environmental problem.

Don't harsh our anticorporate mellow, dude.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 05, 2010, 08:10:53 pm »

Actually, they do produce seeds, they just don't grow. Ie. Sterile seeds. So yeah, you gotta keep buying from the producer, plus with all the lobbying, they pass quality control bills that pretty much lock the producers with those specific seed producers.

You can also check the whole Monsanto bullshit.

Copyright/patents aren't only detrimental to games, but to everything. People need to be recognized by what they -do- with an idea, not by the -idea- itself.

And Aqizzar, that's the good side of the story and everyone can agree with. The problem is that people do produce those seeds nowadays, even poor countries. So the bad side of the story is, Monsanto & others have patented and copyrighted whatever they could on the subject in most countries. So you're stuck with them.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 05, 2010, 08:13:54 pm »

Oh I never said it's not an effective smokescreen for legal monopoly protection.  I just think people make way too much of it.  The human race got by for thousands of years with no more crop alteration than good old fashioned husbandry, and those underdeveloped nations being strangled by the yoke of megacorporatism had never seen a genetically modified plant until a couple years ago.  I fail to see the problem.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 05, 2010, 08:16:54 pm »

You could well be right but it doesn't really matter what the original reason the plants are seedless is to the poor people whose money is getting squeezed out of them. :P

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 06, 2010, 12:51:56 am »

The human race got by for thousands of years with no more crop alteration than good old fashioned husbandry, and those underdeveloped nations being strangled by the yoke of megacorporatism had never seen a genetically modified plant until a couple years ago.  I fail to see the problem.

Unfortunately, we are not the humans of thousands of years ago, and the environment we live in is now stretched to capacity.

EDIT: What did I just do? I just realized I was on the board for...games?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:53:59 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 66