Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2042835 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #5685 on: February 24, 2014, 08:24:12 pm »

I've modded this world so that all four of the major races could build human towns.

Maybe I went too far while adding things to the elven entity, as I found leather and bone trinkets in one of their dungeons. Their ethics go against this, but their new permitted labours allow it. Though I did find a nifty bow, with hanging rings of turquoise and green glass. I also found a leather bracelet with the images of goblins in schist, trees in copper, and a dire wolf in jet. Normally all the decorations would just be made of wood.

Anyways, I got to see first-hand just how pathetic their wooden weapons are. All of my attacks glanced off of their fibre clothing, and their attacks did the same to me. The bows are just as deadly as ever though, even after I tried lowering their velocity. I eventually got frustrated and spawned myself a steel sabre with DFHack, because it was taking forever just to kill a single bandit.

I also swiped a few mushrooms from a random house, since elves don't start with food or water. I guess I'll just wander around some more and see what other oddities I can find.

E: Found a few bandit camps, and killed them quite easily. I found some copper and iron armour. Maybe if the bandits bothered using their stash they would have a better chance of survival. I also found a waterskin, thankfully. I had been storing blood in a quiver I had found.

I then wandered a nearby evil forest. I was ambushed by blendecs, though for some reason they didn't put much effort into trying to attack me. They only came at me when I got very close to them. Though I like the image of fighting off satyr-like horrors in the middle of the night during a downpour of blood-rain. At least I know that the blood-rain interaction I made is working now.

E2: Found a hydra, and managed to make it bleed out without coming out of hiding. Though unfortunately the game crashed before I could make it to the next lair, and I had not saved this character once.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:25:20 pm by BlackFlyme »

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: April 04, 2014, 11:41:19 pm »

Well i am playing the Corrosion Mod which is based on zombies and such and if a zombie bites someone they get infected and will turn into a zombie within anywhere from a day to a month and then spread the virus etc. (Unless the zombies tears off the part it bit I.E. biting a arm but making it fly off)

So i have been pretty much protecting this capital of a very small Warlord Civilization (All civ's are human but the warlords can be compared to the human race) And it is there last city and also one of the biggest in the area with about 400 people in the city. Anyways i do not know how but someone ended up getting bit and turned while everyone was sleeping and ended up killing/infecting everyone in the southern/eastern/western trading and residential areas.

I finally ended up making a final stand at the fortress gates, i had about 10 companions with me armed who all had military training and then there was about 7 other warlord units that joined in on the fight. We managed to kill 150 infected before we retreated to the lords house. We ran upstairs to go and protect him and a zombie managed to get up first and bit a chunk of his throat out before we could dispatch it.

There was about 4 of us left and we were all heavily injured fighting the infected spewing through the doorway while i had my shotgun and was standing beside the bleeding out Lord. In the end i believe roughly 200 infected died before one managed to knock me over and tear off my chest piece and eat my stomach.

This was a very depressing day for me

MurmurWhee

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: April 05, 2014, 01:37:04 pm »

This one's much more interesting, actually.

I was severely wounded in my leg in the middle of a town that I'm an enemy of (I was seeking revenge for my last adventurer's random murder) and started crawling away after killing everyone somehow when I got attacked by a cat which I fended off with my knife. the cat started to run away but I threw my knife at it which made it give into pain and then I punched it to death. I'm still trying to crawl out of the town as I type this XD
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:00:48 pm by MurmurWhee »
It is I that felled the duck.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: April 07, 2014, 05:09:57 pm »

I slaughtered a camp of bandits, leaving only one paralyzed crossbowman. I leave, and while walking at night who attacks me? The lone, suffocating crossbowman. Also I went to swim across a stream and it froze right as I was about to step into it. That was close!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: April 11, 2014, 10:22:48 pm »

If you’ve been following Dwarf mode discussion, I generated a medium world with 402 years worth of history (or so). Having a copy of the starting save in a .zip, and given that the game will be advanced to the start of the following year anyway, and noticing that the world has many tombs whilst trying to embark a fortress, I decide to start out with a human adventurer instead to see just what I can do. Mind you, this is about the first time I’m seriously considering going somewhere in Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode, I was not expecting to do this until the new release came out. But hey, its good to get some practice beforehand!

I get a demigod adventurer with a spear, hoping to start out at a city with tombs nearby. Of course, I end up at a hamlet, and decide to travel out immediately. Close to the end of the day, I am coming up on a human fortress and town or hamlet, but there’s a river in the way. I don’t want to walk around it, so I decide to cross the river. There are two alligators in the river.

I have a silver spear, copper shield, and copper dagger, and start stabbing one of the alligators using the ‘A’ menu to select attacks. I’ve had experience with this menu from the arena, so I have a reasonable idea of what I can do.

The silver spear is very ineffective at actually killing the alligator. I try bashing with the copper shield, knocking out the alligator’s teeth, and finally resort to choking the creature until it actually bleeds to death. Taking a look at the alligator’s descriptions during the fight, damn that’s horrifying.

The second alligator goes to attack a Kea, and when I am done with the first I manage to break some major arteries in the throat, so it bleeds to death quickly. I try to butcher the corpses, a long process involving shoving the alligator corpses and teeth into my backpack and doing research on the internet. Finally, I manage to get both corpses butchered. I then cross the river.

The good news is I have no shortage of food or water now. Lets see where we can go next. This world has plenty of towers, tombs, werebeasts, and hopefully vampires as well.

Is there any place I can upload pics other than imageshack these days?

Edit: Damn, the river turns to ice moments after I finish crossing it! I need to be careful out here!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:28:35 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

blazing glory

« Reply #5690 on: April 12, 2014, 12:11:52 am »

If you’ve been following Dwarf mode discussion, I generated a medium world with 402 years worth of history (or so). Having a copy of the starting save in a .zip, and given that the game will be advanced to the start of the following year anyway, and noticing that the world has many tombs whilst trying to embark a fortress, I decide to start out with a human adventurer instead to see just what I can do. Mind you, this is about the first time I’m seriously considering going somewhere in Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode, I was not expecting to do this until the new release came out. But hey, its good to get some practice beforehand!

I get a demigod adventurer with a spear, hoping to start out at a city with tombs nearby. Of course, I end up at a hamlet, and decide to travel out immediately. Close to the end of the day, I am coming up on a human fortress and town or hamlet, but there’s a river in the way. I don’t want to walk around it, so I decide to cross the river. There are two alligators in the river.

I have a silver spear, copper shield, and copper dagger, and start stabbing one of the alligators using the ‘A’ menu to select attacks. I’ve had experience with this menu from the arena, so I have a reasonable idea of what I can do.

The silver spear is very ineffective at actually killing the alligator. I try bashing with the copper shield, knocking out the alligator’s teeth, and finally resort to choking the creature until it actually bleeds to death. Taking a look at the alligator’s descriptions during the fight, damn that’s horrifying.

The second alligator goes to attack a Kea, and when I am done with the first I manage to break some major arteries in the throat, so it bleeds to death quickly. I try to butcher the corpses, a long process involving shoving the alligator corpses and teeth into my backpack and doing research on the internet. Finally, I manage to get both corpses butchered. I then cross the river.

The good news is I have no shortage of food or water now. Lets see where we can go next. This world has plenty of towers, tombs, werebeasts, and hopefully vampires as well.

Is there any place I can upload pics other than imageshack these days?

Edit: Damn, the river turns to ice moments after I finish crossing it! I need to be careful out here!
Yeah silver is rubbish for cutting weapons,and a spear is a cutting weapon,but any cutting weapon to the throat is likely to cause major bleeding.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: April 12, 2014, 07:58:10 pm »

Yeah silver is rubbish for cutting weapons,and a spear is a cutting weapon,but any cutting weapon to the throat is likely to cause major bleeding.

Update: Alright, I firstly checked the date. It was 9th Malachite when I started out, and it is now 10th Malachite. I’d aborted the worldgen early (see the Dwarf Mode discussion thing) in the year 402, so maybe the worldgen thing didn’t stop at 1st Granite of 402 as expected. This also means I don’t have as much time left to do what I want in adventure mode before starting a fortress.

I crossed the mountains yesterday but quit without saving since that actually takes a fuckin’ long time. I have 1.5GB of Dwarf Fortress in my RAM while adventuring. I’m running at about 1/4th my optimal movement speed because I have a metric fuckton of food from butchering the alligators and other animals. I head for the mountains and spend the night there until dawn, and I didn’t get screwed over by bogeymen in the process :o. I then headed for the fortress on my map. On the way I am attacked by a wolverine and turn it into more food.

On the other side of the mountains there is the fortress of Washcradled. When I approach the fortress, it says “you are uneasy”. Any idea what this means? I didn’t find anyone inside, and after looking at the worldgen file dump I noticed the fortress was vacant. I found a large amount of supplies inside the keep, so I now have an +iron long sword+, an +iron war hammer+, an +<<*iron crossbow*>>+ with some silver bolts, a +bronze shield+, two masterwork bronze gauntlets, *iron chain leggings*, a *llama wool turban*, an +alpaca wool cloak+, a +rope reed fiber hood+, a +<<+rope reed fiber hood+>>+, a +water buffalo leather tunic+, *iron chain leggings*, and a +sterling silver flask+. Oh, and a few more items that I haven’t enumerated yet.

Such as the shortfin mako shark leather long skirt with a finely-designed image of Desli Royalbowels the human being appointed to the position of general of The Helpful Nation in 181.

The masterwork bronze gauntlets also have some interesting imagery on them. The left guantlet has an image of a werelizard and also an image of Rushan Stooddales ascending to lordship over The Helpful Nation in the year 185. The right gauntlet has an image of Lockportal: Problems and Solutions, a turkey leather-bound book on it, among other images.

Leaving the keep, I immediately get attacked by a wolverine, but the iron long sword one-shotted it. My adventurer has no skill with the sword (just with the spear) so it looks like the better materials are winning.

Edit: Image Attached. The second is from after the lengthy battle with the alligators I mentioned from my previous post. The first.... well I came across this on the internet just afterwards. That one isn’t mine, but I’m posting it because of relevance to the second (if the kind of text is inappropriate please let me know and I’ll take it down).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:02:15 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

blazing glory

« Reply #5692 on: April 12, 2014, 08:29:32 pm »

You feel uneasy message means that a lion or leopard or something like that is nearby,it probably wandered off when you got inside the fortress.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: April 13, 2014, 08:05:12 pm »

You feel uneasy message means that a lion or leopard or something like that is nearby,it probably wandered off when you got inside the fortress.

Updated the last post with an image from the Alligator battle and something quite relevant. What do you think?

I’ve just realised the tombs as well as the town or city are to the south and not to the north. I will need to walk around either an ocean or a lake (likely an ocean) to get there. There’s a hamlet to the north and another hamlet further to the northwest, but the later one is going to be tricky to reach. I’ve also noticed quick travel takes quite some time. If we are carrying a lot of items, does the quick travel also go slower?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:07:49 pm by CaptainArchmage »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: April 14, 2014, 08:19:41 am »

I decided to try to settle the conundrum of the necro-town.  The town itself is fairly healthy as far as human towns go, judging by the population export.

In a world I genned, I kept getting indications of 'Town' visitors on the embark screen.  Looking around in legends I couldn't find a necromancer responsible, and indeed it was only 30 Zs.  The leader of the human civ is a Necromongering God, having written several books about his Elephant-form.  Hes chilling in a fort half a day from the town in question, and has some high-end bronze armours in his desert fort made of evil looking red blahblehstone.  The fort is built on a hill, so the dry desert leads to the fort which has a natural ditch in front and is uneven inside, with towering red walls.

Anywho, Im on my way to the town to see if I can find a necromancer in the underhalls.  I have bronze or iron armour, 70 prickle berries, and novice combat skills.  Because the law-giving clownhole isn't the cause.

pics are picy

Spoiler: Fort Outside (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inside Fort (click to show/hide)

---
Addendum:

Alligator ambushed me by a river.  It quickly maimed my leg.  Then I struck back and, crippled it in kind.  Good thing I had my armours on.  I got my sword stuck in its rear leg, and it ran off with it.  The jackass is now skirmishing me, and Ive resolved not to let it keep my weapon.  Unfortunately it is still stronger than me, and I think Ill have to crawl over to it and kill it. :/  Its gonna be a hoot.

---
Further Developments:

I beat it in the gut and head with my shield, and it in turn throttled my shoulder.  I dropped my sharpened rocks and my shield, grabbed the sword when it passed out, and presto.  An adventurer is me.

So, it took the rest of the day, and now I have . . . other issues, but I won.

---

So, I don't know if there was a necro.  I do know that there were a few Zoms wandering round and they attacked promptly upon loading.  I wandered off to make use of my novice reader skill and acid rain killed me with melties.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:54:12 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: April 14, 2014, 12:02:59 pm »

I found out that in the spot where brooks and rivers met you can actually SWIM UNDER the brook. It constantly is drowning you, but   I found a lot of Milkfish there. So much in fact that I'm almost Legendary in Swimming with high stats and few levels in axes.

All the Milkfish in the world fear me now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:48:42 pm by KiBoy »
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

blazing glory

« Reply #5696 on: April 15, 2014, 05:06:02 am »

does the quick travel also go slower?

I don't think it goes slower,though you should ditch that corpse,some tips on food carrying is that you should only carry around 5 food,10 maybe.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: April 15, 2014, 03:50:27 pm »

Started up an old adventurer, and made my home in a cave. Caught a bird, put it in a cage, and put the cage on display in my home, right next to my human skull totem.

Wandered a bit, and got ambushed by a named troll. I still have no idea where its lair is, so no loot for me.

Found a different cave, one that I could actually reach the bottom of. My home-cave descends into the middle of a lake, so I don't really want to explore it too much.

I haven't found much in the way of wildlife, aside from a small band of trogs and a lone troll wandering the depths.

Found some gold; mined it. I'm now moving very, very slow. But I kept finding my way down, or digging my own way, when needed, and eventually found a curious structure.

The surprise party waiting inside wasn't too fun, though I am a necromancer, so that was expected. No resistance whatsoever. So now I'm poised to claim Excalibur for my own.

*Much save-scumming later*

Web spewing cavies and fire throwing rhinos. So I've been stealth killing all the clowns I come across, and have left anything flammable by the entrance.

Some extract has made me permanently nauseous. I have no idea where the vomit keeps coming from. There shouldn't be anything to puke up, since I haven't eaten in weeks.

Some of the clowns are butcherable. I'm not sure if I'd want to eat monster meat, and I'm thankful I don't have to.

Made it back to my cave, after visiting several wrong ones. One of them had a lone kobold as the sole inhabitant, but I left her alone. Another had a werebeast that shouted at me and then ran away, oddly.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:51:20 pm by BlackFlyme »

blazing glory

« Reply #5698 on: April 16, 2014, 04:40:27 am »

Started up an old adventurer, and made my home in a cave. Caught a bird, put it in a cage, and put the cage on display in my home, right next to my human skull totem.

Wandered a bit, and got ambushed by a named troll. I still have no idea where its lair is, so no loot for me.

Found a different cave, one that I could actually reach the bottom of. My home-cave descends into the middle of a lake, so I don't really want to explore it too much.

I haven't found much in the way of wildlife, aside from a small band of trogs and a lone troll wandering the depths.

Found some gold; mined it. I'm now moving very, very slow. But I kept finding my way down, or digging my own way, when needed, and eventually found a curious structure.

The surprise party waiting inside wasn't too fun, though I am a necromancer, so that was expected. No resistance whatsoever. So now I'm poised to claim Excalibur for my own.

*Much save-scumming later*

Web spewing cavies and fire throwing rhinos. So I've been stealth killing all the clowns I come across, and have left anything flammable by the entrance.

Some extract has made me permanently nauseous. I have no idea where the vomit keeps coming from. There shouldn't be anything to puke up, since I haven't eaten in weeks.

Some of the clowns are butcherable. I'm not sure if I'd want to eat monster meat, and I'm thankful I don't have to.

Made it back to my cave, after visiting several wrong ones. One of them had a lone kobold as the sole inhabitant, but I left her alone. Another had a werebeast that shouted at me and then ran away, oddly.

How'd you catch a bird?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: April 16, 2014, 01:42:03 pm »

How'd you catch a bird?

You can pick up vermin as if they are items. Though some of them can escape from anything you put them in.

I wasted longer than I should have trying to catch a bat, since it kept flying out of my backpack.
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 1104