Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218690 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (older versions now available for compatibility)
« Reply #3465 on: February 21, 2011, 08:58:09 pm »

Unless you set it to not start automatically when Windows boots up.
Yes... if you set it not to run then it wouldn't, obviously. Even if that happened, and you went 90 days and they deleted your data... the minute you actually ran it, the app would start uploading all of the stuff still in the mirrored folder again.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: February 21, 2011, 09:00:40 pm »

So, it includes an app that runs in the background all the time.

Question 1: Does it leach any of your bandwidth in the background?
There is a method to monitor the usage of your Internet connection to see if that is the case. I know the Skype app runs in the background all the time and it leaches away unused bandwidth and CPU cycles from users in order to carry around the VoIP messages of other users - utilizing a P2P network similar to the way torrents work.

Question 2: How much CPU cycles does the app require and what is the program priority set to?
I ask because having too many background apps running (even merely sitting in your system tray as an icon) while also trying to play Dwarf Fortress can have a measurable impact in reducing your FPS and lead to early FPS death in Fortress Mode.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3467 on: February 21, 2011, 09:05:10 pm »

So, it includes an app that runs in the background all the time.
AFAIK it only runs when it something changes in the mirrored folder, not all the time. At least I don't have it running right now and I never closed it myself. I just dropped a file into the folder though and it popped up, synced, and vanished. Something must run at a low level to monitor the folder I suppose.

Question 1: Does it leach any of your bandwidth in the background?
There is a method to monitor the usage of your Internet connection to see if that is the case. I know the Skype app runs in the background all the time and it leaches away unused bandwidth and CPU cycles from users in order to carry around the VoIP messages of other users - utilizing a P2P network similar to the way torrents work.
Well of course, it uses your bandwidth to upload/download any files which need to be synced. It isn't a p2p network, it only sends files to their server. I didn't know that about skype though, not that it matters to me so long as it doesn't throttle my own use of the internet.

Question 2: How much CPU cycles does the app require and what is the program priority set to?
I ask because having too many background apps running (even merely sitting in your system tray as an icon) while also trying to play Dwarf Fortress can have a measurable impact in reducing your FPS and lead to early FPS death in Fortress Mode.
I just tested it by removing a folder from the synced area and then re-adding it. The application popped up but shows as using not even 1% of my cpu, so... I guess not much?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: February 21, 2011, 09:15:13 pm »

Thanks guys, we're all set now.

Let's get back on topic.

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: February 21, 2011, 10:38:21 pm »

I love this set!  The water is a bit dark for my tastes though.  Any easy way to modify that?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: February 21, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »

I love this set!  The water is a bit dark for my tastes though.  Any easy way to modify that?
use water tiles from an older version?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: February 22, 2011, 04:29:07 am »

Go to init/colors.txt

There you go.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: February 22, 2011, 05:51:24 pm »

I've been tootling around a bit in Adventure Mode of late, and I noticed a couple of tile inconsistencies.

Tile 34, the double-quote, is the hard-coded symbol for farmland on the adventure map, as well as the glowing eyes of certain creatures.  Right now, though, it's a bunch of woodworking tools (the tile is also used in the carpenter's workshop).  Would you be able to put together a tile that suits all three of its functions?  With a bit of Tile Magic, I bet you could make a pair of short vertical lines into crops, eyes, and tools hanging on a wall.

Tiles 137 (ë) and 154 (Ü) represent military elves and humans, respectively, but appear as ore tiles.  This means that dead human and elven soldiers turn into weird reddish splashes when they die.

Tiles 147 (ô), 148 (ö) and 153 (Ö) represent cauldrons, rings and bracelets, but appear as trees and ore.

Tile 196 (─) looks fine as an axle, but clashes with the other single-line tiles when used as part of a road, river, or border for something.

Tile 239 (∩) represents both hills and slabs, but resembles neither.

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: February 22, 2011, 06:19:51 pm »

Go to init/colors.txt

There you go.

Tried this, by modifying the BLUE & LBLUE colors as per the df.magmawiki, but didn't work.  Not sure where this graphics set pulls the colors for certain tiles, and I'm not all that experienced with manually modding DF.

The tile (which is used for both sand & water) is just part of a greyscale image.  So changing this would only alter the appearance, and not the color, AFAIK.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: February 22, 2011, 06:22:20 pm »

If you changed it in the DF/Raw folder, you need to do savegame updater so it copies the changed raws to the individual world's raws.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: February 22, 2011, 07:16:42 pm »

If you changed it in the DF/Raw folder, you need to do savegame updater so it copies the changed raws to the individual world's raws.

That did it.  Tiles are still too dark though, I think I may have to just manually lighten up the water tile itself a bit actually.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: February 22, 2011, 08:22:23 pm »

minor issue here ... i just downloaded the .51 full version .. changed show_flow_ammounts to  yes (was set to no) but ingame now i just get numbers .. no more cool watergraphics as in the versions before

am i doing something wrong?

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: February 22, 2011, 08:34:00 pm »

minor issue here ... i just downloaded the .51 full version .. changed show_flow_ammounts to  yes (was set to no) but ingame now i just get numbers .. no more cool watergraphics as in the versions before

am i doing something wrong?

The newest version replaced all the water graphics with numbers.  The game uses 1-7 to specify the water depth, and previously it had water graphics in their place.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:25 pm »

so swirling currents aint returning here? :/

makes me a sad dorfi

well thanks for the info

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #3479 on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:43 pm »

You could modify the sprite sheet yourself. One of the older copies (with the swirly number backgrounds) was posted here. Swap the numbers out using a graphics program of your choice.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 329