Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Untapping HFS?  (Read 34019 times)

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untapping HFS?
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2010, 08:58:19 pm »

From the moment of his birth they knew he was special, his skin the unnatural color of adamantine, around him a holy aura inimical to daemons(some work has been done with creatures which produce toxic gas?), holy symbols glowing faintly beneath his flesh

So, something like my avatar then? (except a dwarf)
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2010, 08:58:46 pm »

Everyone here is clearly forgetting the second rule of dwarf fortress.

"Where magma fails, Ballista's don't."

I think we need a properly planned out ballista bombardment over the gates of hell. Lets see, alternate sides, so from N/W on z 25, S/E z24, huge halls partitioned off with fortifications, covered in serrated disc traps, millions of trees flying across the halls by legendary operators as the demons try desperately to reach the surface.

Of course, if they ever reach the top, you pull lever "Final Solution" Which would collapse a giant fist over your hollowed out hallways to crush any demons that remain.

Of course, there's always war elephants.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2010, 09:16:35 pm »

Currently, ballista arrows are so weak that they glance off of clothing, so don't try that until they are fixed.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2010, 09:17:49 pm »

Yea, knowing that there are more demons willing to rip your dwarfs limb from limb then there are dwarfs in the entire world, right under your feet, gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

A single Demon species outnumbers every nonvermin species, combined.

iirc, Demon species are listed as being 'unnumbered', that is normally only applied to highly numerous vermin like ants.

Also, my maths was wrong. I did a quick check; the largest number of vermin creatures that is not listed as 'unnumbered' is Flies, which average around 28,000,000 pop.

That's right, 28 million.

That means that there are, at least, 28 million of each species of demon.

One single demon species outnumbers every single non vermin creature on the entire world.

Together, all the demons outnumber every nondemon creature, combined. Pocket worlds have 20 demon species, that means a pocket world has more than 560 million demons.

A Large world, with it's 52 species, has more than one and a half billion demons.

And remember; that number isn't even minimum. It has to be more than that due to the 'unnumbered' status.

Demons outnumber ants.

Grax, with his modded 1000 demon species, has over twenty-eight billion demons in the deeps.

Wow. The new version is the best game ever made to this date.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2010, 10:01:36 pm »

Currently, ballista arrows are so weak that they glance off of clothing, so don't try that until they are fixed.

Only without proper arrow heads.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2010, 10:16:55 pm »

Catapults then. Dwarven Physicists will not be denied.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2010, 10:35:02 pm »

Release such a threat that even the elves will help supply you with wood to keep the ballistas going...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2010, 10:38:25 pm »

I think the most funny moment was when one of my miners tapped the HFS.
Ok, i've already prepared the defences and sealed the hole with our universal receipt - magma+water, so there's no path to the fortress.
But suddenly i realized that fps doesn't make me happy anymore, as it become 50 versus 400 that were before tapping HFS.

So please tell me what to do?
Is there ANY chance to return 400fps or i have to beat the wall with my head (e.g. restart the fortress)?

Are you kidding? 50 FPS is very, very playable. Some people have to make do with 20 even without tapping the HFS. Also, playing with 400 FPS has no advantage. Playing with over 100 FPS has no advantage. You can't physically keep up with the game at that speed; you'd either be pausing extremely often to issue orders, or your dwarves would spend the majority of their time idle.

The only exception to this would be megaproject construction.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2010, 10:52:06 pm »

Grax, with his modded 1000 demon species, has over twenty-eight billion demons in the deeps.

Holy shit dude!
Maybe a blunt question, but does she have any reason to not trust you?
Yes, I'm sort of a serial cheater.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:04 pm »

Alternatively we could have a competition to see who can build the trap that kills the most demons in vanilla DF.
I'm thinking something like a layer of water over a layer of magma with hatches in between, at one end a small room separated with a door (which the demons will destroy flooding the room with magma)with a sacrifice and all the hatches linked to one lever. Draw as many demons as you can into the room, pull the lever and encase them all in stone.

Of course this would have to be done in a part of the fortress which is sealed off and with a few different measures to steralise the area and reseal hell in case not all the demons are killed in the magma trap.

Person who gets the longest string of demon kills in a row wins.
Kills, HA! The challenge should be to try and see who can LIVE down there the longest! Dwarves are the true rulers of their own destiny, not demons who haven't the stones to manifest themselves into mortal form! Dwarves rule all under the ground, I say it's time to reclaim that which is rightfully ours! Be it though ladders, armies, magma, or obsidian, take back what these spineless fiends have claimed as they're own! Their number is far greater than ours, but our will is greater! We shall be the picks to break through the UNDERGROUND!
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2010, 12:06:52 am »

I'm thinking of some kind of mod to make an eternal war feasible.

We could use castes along with a well thought out fortress design.

Mod dwarves so that a tiny proportion of dwarves born are a separate caste *daemon hunters*, with the strength and endurance to face even the beasts of hell.
Imagine it!
The shaft breaks through into hell, someone must defend the fortress.

From the moment of his birth they knew he was special, his skin the unnatural color of adamantine, around him a holy aura inimical to daemons(some work has been done with creatures which produce toxic gas?), holy symbols glowing faintly beneath his flesh.

When such a dwarf is born a crusade against the dark horrors beneath the surface of the world is planned.

A fortress could be built around rearing even 1 or 2 such dwarves and training/equipping them and finally sending them to fight an eternal battle with the darkness.

Alternatively we could have a competition to see who can build the trap that kills the most demons in vanilla DF.
I'm thinking something like a layer of water over a layer of magma with hatches in between, at one end a small room separated with a door (which the demons will destroy flooding the room with magma)with a sacrifice and all the hatches linked to one lever. Draw as many demons as you can into the room, pull the lever and encase them all in stone.

Of course this would have to be done in a part of the fortress which is sealed off and with a few different measures to steralise the area and reseal hell in case not all the demons are killed in the magma trap.

Person who gets the longest string of demon kills in a row wins.
why nota caste of queens that churn out 1000s of dorfs at a time to throw wave after wave of dwarfs at them.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2010, 01:12:05 am »

I don't think litter sizes are that customizeable anymore.  Seem to be limited to triplets or quadruplets right now as far as I could tell.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2010, 01:22:49 am »

Also, all you'd do is max out the demons' stats by feeding them helpless untrained wrestlers.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2010, 02:31:15 am »

But suddenly i realized that fps doesn't make me happy anymore, as it become 50 versus 400 that were before tapping HFS.
Are you kidding? 50 FPS is very, very playable. Some people have to make do with 20 even without tapping the HFS. Also, playing with 400 FPS has no advantage. Playing with over 100 FPS has no advantage.
Except for the amount of time that goes in reality.
Two minutes for a month or four minutes for a month. The difference is great when you wait for a generation change. ;-)

You can't physically keep up with the game at that speed; you'd either be pausing extremely often to issue orders, or your dwarves would spend the majority of their time idle.
Also it seems there's strong math ratio (on my system) somewhat about FPS=10000/(dwarves+10)/(demons/10+1), so the more migrants i'll get the more FPS i'll lose with the same number of demons.
Code: [Select]
dwarves demons FPS
7 0 588
20 0 333
50 0 167
50 50 28
100 30 23
200 0 48

The only exception to this would be megaproject construction.
There must be no fortress without a megaproject! (or at least kiloproject ;-))
Finis sanctificat media.

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2010, 01:50:04 pm »

So... What happens if you breach hell, cap it, and leave it capped until demons fill hell up completely?

Your FPS drops to negative numbers to compensate for the truly horrific lag you're experiencing.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12