Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: I killed a bronze colossus, and you'll never guess how  (Read 284854 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: I killed a bronze colossus, and you'll never guess how
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2012, 01:43:34 pm »

Is posting in this topic considered being a thread-necromancer?  :-\

Well, Theshinesprites is the necromancer.  Once it's already necroed, if you still want to talk about it, why not keep it going?

I mean, we can keep going back to Cacame and Tholtig Cryptbrain just to keep the classics alive if we want, right?  No reason a good story has to die just because it's from a couple versions ago.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2012, 01:46:29 pm »

On this topic, I got the best vision from this. It requires explanation, though.
I'm aware that Bronze Colossi are animate statues, but I've always thought of them more like giant robots from a lost civilization.
So the image of a dwarf blowing through a giant robots neck with a fuff ball is hilarious to me.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »

Negatory, posting here is called awesome-mancer.

It's sort of like going to a national monument. You've got to come back once in a while to look back at the awesome history.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2012, 03:15:07 pm »

On this topic, I got the best vision from this. It requires explanation, though.
I'm aware that Bronze Colossi are animate statues, but I've always thought of them more like giant robots from a lost civilization.
So the image of a dwarf blowing through a giant robots neck with a fuff ball is hilarious to me.

This is, actually, exactly as Talos was originally meant to be seen, and Talos is the almost-certain inspiration for the bronze colossus. 

A bronze colossus is basically supposed to be a giant robot with no clear power source that is composed of weights and gears and chains on the inside, and basically runs on clockwork mechanisms.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2012, 03:35:35 pm »

Well, thank you for Canon-izing my thoughts.
Giant Robots for the *!!win!!*
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Cpt.tazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2012, 06:01:49 pm »

welp, since this thread has been necro'd i thought id post here just for the awesomeness, i remember this thread from the wiki years ago
Got a pterodactyl with a knobby turtle shell composed entirely of vomit in my caverns. Apparently it moves deliberately. It's teamed up with a giant steam shrimp.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where you aren't hallucinating.

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2013, 08:16:47 pm »

Does it work the other way around? Testingg....

Edit- The bronze colossus head broke
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2013, 09:17:57 pm »

Please don't necro threads without good reason. *Prim & proper, as befitting a wizened veteran of the forums*
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2013, 08:13:26 am »

Make a post here? Why not?
I did something very similar to this; I threw a pair of trousers at a dwarf child and pierced its chest, puncturing a lung. The child then suffocated. The awesome thing is it was the first thing I threw at a lynch mob, with absolutely no skill in Throwing. Not as impressive as the OP, but just as entertaining.
My friends and I refer to the trousers - and the event - as the "Trousers of Slaying (+5)".
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »

Something tells me this game was modded...

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »

Something tells me this game was modded...
Fluffy Wambles used to have max edge... and throwing OP AS FUCK

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2013, 09:22:50 pm »

Throwing isn't still OP?

So, has anyone tried throwing a bronze colossus at a wambler?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2013, 09:50:27 pm »

I don't think you can hit vermin with anything...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Deus Morti

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2013, 12:56:08 pm »

Well, since someone else took the trouble to necro this, I might as well play my part in keeping the old legends alive.

Let wamblers wamble where they may, regardless of age.
Seal off your fortress and make it impregnable, then use screw pumps to flood every inch of that town in magma. Either that or dig too deep and watch as the circus comes to town. Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
A goblin daycare center, a Dwarven cat herd on the move. A kobold cautiously trying to steal a tooth from a clear crystal Plains Titan[...]

BR8

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2013, 01:12:59 pm »

Two things. One, Bronze Colossi are powered by Zero Point energy, which Syndrome used in the Incredibles and powers the Toy Story toys in a theory connecting every Pixar movie. Two, you drop the Colossi onto the Fluffy Wamblers and they don't panic, but if you throw one little Wambler at them, then every one loses their mind!

I now cut off the fourth finger, left hand, allowing this thread to continue in undeath.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13