Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 213779 times)

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2010, 06:26:37 pm »

My ibook g4 (osx 10.4, 1.3 ghz powerpc) can't decide what application to open dwarfort.exe or df with.  Any thoughts?  40d ran on it no worries.  No worky on pre-Intel mac? 
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

jonharson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2010, 06:55:46 pm »

Someone explain to me how a Geforce 9600 with 1Gig of ram is unable to load less than 2Meg of texture... make absolutely no sense. Please remove that retarded message saying to buy a new GPU am quite sure even a old Ati Rage 128 could run this stuff without any problem, there is no such thing as a video card unable to run Dwarf Fortress!

Motigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 17, 2010, 06:55:56 pm »

Some things I've noticed using the VBO setting, 2x2 embark goes a rediculous speed (somewhere in the 1000's, havn't messed with it for an exact number) 4x4 embark drops down to around 130 fps on average then an 8x8 embark goes all the way down to 4 FPS.  All are with a fresh embark with no rivers/magma just a forested area without any other creatures initially spawned.  .03 version gives 150 or so with 4x4 embark and on an 8x8 embark 10 fps, 2x2 embark is around the 150 range as well.

In short, 2x2 embark much faster then .03, 4x4 embark about the same, 8x8 embark is alot slower with update.

Haven't actually started a fortress in new version just prelim testing with embarks.  Also haven't tested other graphics as a 4x4 embark showed VBO was fastest option when I was testing last night (clean embark with one dwarf mining to find this)

Processor:  AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-Core Processor 3800+
Graphics:  NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
4gb ram
Windows Vista x32

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 17, 2010, 07:04:01 pm »

Someone explain to me how a Geforce 9600 with 1Gig of ram is unable to load less than 2Meg of texture... make absolutely no sense. Please remove that retarded message saying to buy a new GPU am quite sure even a old Ati Rage 128 could run this stuff without any problem, there is no such thing as a video card unable to run Dwarf Fortress!

First of all, the error message has nothing to do with your video card. There's a bunch of code somewhere and when it doesn't work (called throwing an exception), that error message is made to appear because previously the user's video card was the usual problem. That code should be updated with a better/different error message.

Secondly, your tone is pretty childish. This is an alpha release of a free game written by one person who works damn hard to make fun for everyone, and he ventured into a new type of challenge in writing graphics code that he hasn't ever worked with before. It's not surprising there are a few kinks to work out, and the bratty kind of attitude in what you wrote is more likely to piss him off than encourage him to work faster. You might want to think about what you've written before hitting the "Post" button.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 17, 2010, 07:10:06 pm »

I just got a "There is nothing to catch in the Central Ocean" message. It was a Tropical Ocean at the northenmost part of the map, so maybe for Scorching areas the fish are still getting killed?

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 17, 2010, 07:39:03 pm »

Edit 4: Even with 7 idle dwarves at embark, i get abysmal Framerates (~40, interface jerkyness almost unbearable) compared to 200+ on 31.03. Why do you hate my computer?

You don't have any idea of just how much I envy you that your computer is good enough for you to be able to consider 40 fps abysmal. Sure, on my desktop, I usually get around 250 fps too and that's good, but on my laptop, 25 is the norm (even in the previous version). And it's still fairly playable, I'd say. I also haven't experienced anything that could be described as "interface jerkyness", maybe it's an unrelated issue.

You kidding me?  I've put myself through 1 - 2 fps for regular DF games, hours spent watching my dwarfs going to the stockpile and then drinking for hours. 

Some people don't realize how good they have it...
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

jonharson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 17, 2010, 07:41:34 pm »

Also all the following files have absolutely no reason to be present in the release:
Microsoft.VC80.CRT.MANIFEST, Microsoft.VC90.CRT.MANIFEST, msvcm80.dll, msvcm90.dll, msvcp80.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcr80.dll, msvcr90.dll, msvcrt.dll. Since Visual studio 2005(8) you are not allowed to redistribute those file directly, you have to install the Visual Studio runtime to get them, and why 2 version of them anyway, you are either using vc8 or vc9 not both. Also remove the thumb.db hidden crap file from raw\graphics and data\art.

Phenixmirage

• Bay Watcher
  • Weak vs. Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 17, 2010, 07:42:31 pm »

Yes, thanks for that... setting FPS_CAP:0 allowed linux to go fullscreen.
Also, FRAME_BUFFER gives a blank screen (but game seems to be running anyway) and TEXT mode doesn't launch at all.
(By the bye, is your avatar Kira from vandal hearts?)

Glad I could help. :) All of the print modes seem to react differently, so it seems the best thing to do is play around with the settings until something works.
(And yes, Kira is my avatar. :) )

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 17, 2010, 07:49:42 pm »

Also remove the thumb.db hidden crap file from raw\graphics and data\art.
That really isn't hard to remove, just (assuming you have windows) set the folder options in the tools menu of windows explorer to show hidden files and delete thumb.db. poof.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 17, 2010, 07:53:41 pm »

Also remove the thumb.db hidden crap file from raw\graphics and data\art.
That really isn't hard to remove, just (assuming you have windows) set the folder options in the tools menu of windows explorer to show hidden files and delete thumb.db. poof.

He is right, though, that there's no reason for it to be distributed with DF.

Baughn already said in this thread that it's a bug, and that he'll fix it shortly:

Right.. sorry, GRAPHICS:ON is not going to work. I wrote the code without reference to an actual working DF, and the graphical output was one thing I couldn't replicate.

I'll get it fixed though, probably on Wednesday, so for now just keep it off?

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 17, 2010, 08:00:07 pm »

I don't know if this has been reported, but DF locks up for me upon hitting Enter to accept a generated world. It doesn't even move to the offloading units screen. OP says it's slow but this is ridiculous. :P

Gorfob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2010, 08:03:09 pm »

Quote from: Multiple Crying Babies
thumbs.db

Oh no my 25kb of download. Never mind the fact that Windows will recreate the exact same file as soon as you extract it. Of all the things to complain about people are choosing thumbs.db

shevek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2010, 08:08:18 pm »

My ibook g4 (osx 10.4, 1.3 ghz powerpc) can't decide what application to open dwarfort.exe or df with.  Any thoughts?  40d ran on it no worries.  No worky on pre-Intel mac?

You can't run an exe on a mac. When there is a more done mac version I'm sure there will be an app bundle, but for now run the shell script called df (in terminal).

jonharson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2010, 08:10:06 pm »

Quote from: Multiple Crying Babies
thumbs.db

Oh no my 25kb of download. Never mind the fact that Windows will recreate the exact same file as soon as you extract it. Of all the things to complain about people are choosing thumbs.db
Not it won't, because some people do know better and turn off this useless thumbnail precaching option, as a side bonus of doing this you also stop redistributing useless files to your clients.

jonharson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2010, 08:11:28 pm »

You can't run an exe on a mac. When there is a more done mac version I'm sure there will be an app bundle, but for now run the shell script called df (in terminal).

Apparently both the mac and linux version executable files are called dwarfort.exe too for some reason...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 55