Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 214092 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #330 on: May 18, 2010, 01:00:49 am »

Hi!

The new placement of the FPS is not a good choice as it blots out the date when you go to the status screen.

Deathworks

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 18, 2010, 01:02:37 am »

Sweeeet. Its funny, as a programmer, I care less about when the fix will arrive and more relieved that someone knows the source of the bug. Chasing bugs can suuuuuck.

Oh god, static variables.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 18, 2010, 01:03:16 am »

Hi!

The new placement of the FPS is not a good choice as it blots out the date when you go to the status screen.

Deathworks

I've been thinking for a while now there should be a key that cycles it through top-left, top-right, bottom-right, and bottom-left.

armrha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 18, 2010, 01:30:04 am »

Hi!

Deathworks

I agree, FPS counter placement should move.

Why do you begin every post with 'Hi!'? I'm getting tired of reading it... not really necessary, just go on to what you need to say, I think it's pretty well assumed that you are... uh... greeting? the board every time you post. Not to be harsh or anything, just... you do it with every single post? Just... why. It's in every single post of yours I have seen. Waste of time, space, and people's time reading it, even if only slightly... If you consider it some kind of trade mark thing or something, I dunno, try the signature feature, at least it's easy to skip over those.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 18, 2010, 01:32:28 am »

Everything is fine now, the default options just didn't like my 1360x768 screen - even less than the old version did.

Setting the basic tileset to fullscreen at 1360x768 opened up HUGE ranges of visibility I never suspected I could get though, it's almost like playing a new game :)

Your resolution is really 1360x768 and not 1366x768? I find that interesting.

Technically it's 1366x768 but the setup instructions to use the TV as a monitor indicate it should be set to screen resolution 1360x768
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Gudamor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 18, 2010, 02:20:26 am »

I agree, FPS counter placement should move.

Why do you begin every post with 'Hi!'? I'm getting tired of reading it... not really necessary, just go on to what you need to say, I think it's pretty well assumed that you are... uh... greeting? the board every time you post. Not to be harsh or anything, just... you do it with every single post? Just... why. It's in every single post of yours I have seen. Waste of time, space, and people's time reading it, even if only slightly... If you consider it some kind of trade mark thing or something, I dunno, try the signature feature, at least it's easy to skip over those.

Could you possibly use less ellipses in the future? I'm getting tired of seeing them abused.

/sarcasm

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 18, 2010, 02:47:14 am »

I was getting a ton of crashes with my version 31.02 save. Having re-genned a new world and playing on that on and off all day, I've had zero crashes and my FPS has about doubled. Good show!

onipanda

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 18, 2010, 04:07:18 am »

It's amazing how many people keep posting about the graphics not working. Even when people calmly answer the question on the very same page.

FatedTemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 18, 2010, 04:39:25 am »

Just chiming in to say that apart from the known issues (no graphics etc.) this version is working fine for me. Thanks Toady and Baughn!

Also, about the FPS display, rather than having an init option wouldn't it make more sense to have an in game toggle? Then it doesn't matter where it goes as you can hide it with a key press.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:01 am »

Hello!

I may be wrong, but I have a theory about the FPS: It seems as if the movie's FPS max (which is 100) is not always replaced by the correct FPS max set in the init.txt (which is 200 in my case).

When I start the game, the FPS slowly go up and I think I am safe when I reach the main menu before the FPS have touched 100 - but that is not yet fully explored. Anyhow, given that 100 FPS is what the movie uses, I do see some merit to its agency in this.

Armrha: See the thread on things making us sad today (before people noticed the PM glitch).

Deathworks

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 18, 2010, 06:11:37 am »

Could you possibly use less ellipses in the future? I'm getting tired of seeing them abused.

/sarcasm

Could you make an attempt to use proper grammar? "fewer ellipses", not "less ellipses".   ;D

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 18, 2010, 06:13:17 am »

/sarcasm

Could you make an attempt to use proper grammar? "fewer ellipses", not "less ellipses".   ;D

OT: To this very day, I thought that 'fewer' and 'less' are interchangeable. Thanks :3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

SineHacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 18, 2010, 06:44:50 am »

I've been playing DF for about two years but only signed up to the forum today  8)

haven't tested much yet but as a general report on a macbook 2.4ghz intel core duo:

framerate is generally low in-game, I get around 25fps at best - it was worse with PRINT_MODE:STANDARD, changing it to 2D helped a bit, I haven't tried 2DASYNC yet (any tips on boosting this further?)

Fullscreen works for me but is pretty much unplayable because it makes the screen flicker? tried different resolutions to no avail

some game functions mainly loading are much slower than before but not impossible, like embarking (this always takes a little time), saving and offloading

I will fiddle with the settings some more to see if I can get any further results - so far with playing the game though, no bugs to report!

after 3 embarks there seems to be very few fish in streams and rivers after world gen it seems like starting up the food industry is more fun this time round

aid

VDOgamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 18, 2010, 06:48:49 am »

Well, although I was resisting playing this until the bugs were worked out, I REALLY wanted to play DF. The bugs aren't really as bad for me as I had assumed from looking at the bug tracker. What I'm curious about is: what difference does the graphics setting in the init file make? Lots of people, myself included, have had trouble with it, but all I've seen it doing is turning on custom tilesets.

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 18, 2010, 07:14:21 am »

what difference does the graphics setting in the init file make? Lots of people, myself included, have had trouble with it, but all I've seen it doing is turning on custom tilesets.
Setting GRAPHICS=YES in the init allows the game to display different icons for each animal/npc ie. a dog will look like a dog and not "d" it is possible to change the tileset without turning on GRAPHICS just change FONT or FULLFONT to what ever tileset you want to use and place the tile set in data/art.

Remember the init files are case Sensitive so GRAPHICS=On is not the same as GRAPHICS=ON

edit: if what you are asking is why is GRAPHICS broken I believe baughn has given an explanation somewhere in this thread.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:17:42 am by snooptodd »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 55