Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 213773 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 17, 2010, 08:14:13 pm »

Am I supposed to get no graphics option other than the old style minimized option where dwarves are tiny little smileys?

F11 doesn't change the graphics to the larger set, it just makes the minimized set larger.

I've never bothered with any custom tilesets before, are they required now, if you don't like minimized view?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:36 pm »

notepad
Windows users, consider using wordpad instead, I think it's much more reliable at conserving the line endings and the encoding. No guarantees though.
That's an acceptable workaround, but the correct (and ridiculously low priority) fix is for each platform's version to correctly parse it's own native CR/LF variation, in addtion to whatever format the default file is in (IMO).
I agree about the CR/LF thing, but that doesn't seem to be the problem here. I'm not so sure it would make sense to read the interface file in UTF-8. IMHO a better solution would be not to avoid using literal High-ASCII characters in the file in the first place. Let them be stored as number instead, like creature tiles in the raws. (Actually I'm unclear why those bindings are in the file, perhaps they are of some use to people with international keyboards, but I am skeptical.)

Quote from: Multiple Crying Babies
thumbs.db

Oh no my 25kb of download.
Please, let's not turn this into a flamewar. Sure it's a minor complaint, but ideally it would not be included, so it's legitimate to mention it.

I've never bothered with any custom tilesets before, are they required now, if you don't like minimized view?
That has always been the standard view. Perhaps you were using Mayday's pack or something similar before.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:25:41 pm by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

Gudamor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 17, 2010, 08:19:14 pm »

i think the mud/pond is broken in 0.31.04 i irrigated via pond and the mud was just partly there

it looked like that:
Code: [Select]
oooxo
oxoox
oxxxo
ooxoo
ooooo

o==pile'o'mud
x== without mud

but the oddest thing is.. the descripton of the tile said... "muddied smthg floor" and sometimes there were piles of mud on that tile.. and sometimes not

Dwarves will clean mud off smoothed floors. Is there any chance this is what's happening?

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »

The site finder seems to need a goosing every so often. I set it running. Then being stuck at 1/81 for a minute I went and did something else. Came back and still 1/81. So I pressed buttons at random just to get it to do something, but it started advancing when I hit up-arrow. Then stopped. Hit up-arrow again, same story. It seems to need a hit every time it advances the counter. Maybe the damn thing is waiting for input...

This is true for both the Mac and Win version.

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:50 pm »

Am I supposed to get no graphics option other than the old style minimized option where dwarves are tiny little smileys?

F11 doesn't change the graphics to the larger set, it just makes the minimized set larger.

Are you actually asking something?  If you've never changed the graphics, you have been playing with the standard set, which are fairly small non-square basic tiles.  That's the standard and always has been.  If you want larger tiles, or other graphics, you have to change the files yourself, unless you downloaded a third party pre-packaged graphics version like Mayday's.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 17, 2010, 08:25:33 pm »

Perhaps I should clarify, both the old minimized graphics and the old fullscreen graphics had dwarves as smiley faces, but the bigger set was a filled in face, the smaller set was just a round face with dots.

All I'm seeing is the round face, and fullscreen isn't fullscreen, it only fills up to about half my screen and a lot of black around the edges.

I suppose I'll go dig in the ini files and see if there is some sort of fullscreen setting that isn't allowing 1360x768
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 17, 2010, 08:28:40 pm »

Perhaps I should clarify, both the old minimized graphics and the old fullscreen graphics had dwarves as smiley faces, but the bigger set was a filled in face, the smaller set was just a round face with dots.

All I'm seeing is the round face, and fullscreen isn't fullscreen, it only fills up to about half my screen and a lot of black around the edges.

I suppose I'll go dig in the ini files and see if there is some sort of fullscreen setting that isn't allowing 1360x768

I think I understand now.  If I recall correctly, fullscreen defaulted to the 800x600 version of the tileset possibly?

You just need to go into the init.txt file and change the tileset used.  It's not hard and you don't have to download anything.  Just change one line.

Oh also... changing your fullscreen to 1366x768 instead of 1360 might help you out?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:30:13 pm by Chrissi »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 17, 2010, 08:32:57 pm »

So just to clarify, it's not my end that's causing the GPU problems?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 17, 2010, 08:39:07 pm »

The site finder seems to need a goosing every so often. I set it running. Then being stuck at 1/81 for a minute I went and did something else. Came back and still 1/81. So I pressed buttons at random just to get it to do something, but it started advancing when I hit up-arrow. Then stopped. Hit up-arrow again, same story. It seems to need a hit every time it advances the counter. Maybe the damn thing is waiting for input...

Known bug.

So just to clarify, it's not my end that's causing the GPU problems?

Which problems?  If you mean the "GPU unable to accommodate texture catalog" crash, then yeah, it's a known bug in the game, not your system.

Gorfob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 17, 2010, 09:02:22 pm »

Not it won't, because some people do know better and turn off this useless thumbnail precaching option, as a side bonus of doing this you also stop redistributing useless files to your clients.

It doesn't precache at all. Only when you access a folder for the first time. I too love thrashing my HD when opening a folder with lots of images in it. Gotta save that 25kb of space.

Whats more worrying than how you treat your HD is that Toady does his dev on an XP machine. (Vista and 7 don't create a thumbs.db in a local folder (only in network folders for some reason)) someone buy that man a copy of 7 stat.

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 17, 2010, 09:05:23 pm »

i think the mud/pond is broken in 0.31.04 i irrigated via pond and the mud was just partly there

it looked like that:
Code: [Select]
oooxo
oxoox
oxxxo
ooxoo
ooooo

o==pile'o'mud
x== without mud

but the oddest thing is.. the descripton of the tile said... "muddied smthg floor" and sometimes there were piles of mud on that tile.. and sometimes not

Dwarves will clean mud off smoothed floors. Is there any chance this is what's happening?

mhh.. possibly yes... maybe i forgot to lock the doors... i ll check that out again later... thy for the idea...

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 17, 2010, 09:12:50 pm »

I think I understand now.  If I recall correctly, fullscreen defaulted to the 800x600 version of the tileset possibly?

You just need to go into the init.txt file and change the tileset used.  It's not hard and you don't have to download anything.  Just change one line.

Oh also... changing your fullscreen to 1366x768 instead of 1360 might help you out?

Everything is fine now, the default options just didn't like my 1360x768 screen - even less than the old version did.

Setting the basic tileset to fullscreen at 1360x768 opened up HUGE ranges of visibility I never suspected I could get though, it's almost like playing a new game :)

Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 17, 2010, 09:27:11 pm »

I noticed the same issue. Windows version, Win7, etc. etc.
I haven't looked to see if this is in Mantis... I presumed I was just crazy.

Edit: Oh, I'm bad. Footkerchief linked to the bug in Mantis.

Edit2: Toady I love you. Baughn I love you.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:30:56 pm by Mir »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 17, 2010, 09:44:26 pm »

It's not the tileset. It's an artifact of the way the tiles get streched. It's actually the exact same picture.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MadWombat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 17, 2010, 09:48:13 pm »

Is there a solution to the "GPU unable to accomodate texture store" problem on Linux? I am running Ubuntu 10.04 on a Thinkpad R400. The 40d19 is running perfect in graphics mode, but 31_04 gives me this error when I try to create world or when I try to enter the game (if I create the world in text mode). This happens with both original and alternative tilesets.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 55