Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 214075 times)

Grocer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #390 on: May 18, 2010, 08:28:35 pm »

Well that's a year of waiting for nothing.

Unless there's some other reason you have for not upgrading I'd suggest just grabbing a copy from somewhere.  10.4 supports both PPC and the 'Classic enviroment.'  10.5 drops the classic, but does run on PPC.
Legendary Dead Horse Beater

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 18, 2010, 08:31:01 pm »

I can't seem to zoom in or out ._.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 18, 2010, 08:46:34 pm »

It goes on so long! argh, why did you make it end year 1050!?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

daremodf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 18, 2010, 08:58:46 pm »

The Linux version does not run at all out of the box on Fedora, because SELinux doesn't like it:
The dwarfort.exe application attempted to load /home/daremo/games/df_linux/libs/libgraphics.so which requires text relocation. This is a potential security problem.
The same thing will probably happen on any version of Linux that uses SELinux for security.

Digging deeper, it seems that the reason libgraphics.so causes this error is that the copy of zlib in it was not compiled with -fpic.  Adding that to the compilation commands ought to fix this, and it shouldn't affect anything else, so hopefully it's a quick win!

There's a short-term workaround, though it's not a very nice one: it's possible, by typing the right combination of cryptic commands, to add a temporary security-policy exception for this library.  With that in place, the game works fine (complete with music)!  Yay for another Linux game!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 18, 2010, 09:00:52 pm »

you can stop it whenever, you know. I think spacebar pauses it, then you can push Q (i think) to use world as it currently exists.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2010, 09:05:01 pm »

Thats the year DF has always been set to end worldgen by default.  Just in .40 the megabeasts all died extremely quickly and almost always hit the "if # megabeasts < 80% stop worldgen early if after # years" check.

Now the megabeasts actually survive worldgen, worldgen usually lasts the full 1050 years like it used to.

You can always change the end year in the worldgen params, or even just hit the pause worldgen button anytime during gen, and hit u to cause the worldgen to save the world and stop worldgen in whatever state you paused it at.

Nin nin nin.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:06:49 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

purplearcanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2010, 09:53:47 pm »

Ok, I have a bug in linux. Don't know if this has been reported, but when I create creatures in the arena mode, they randomly seem to suffocate.

Also, I try to generate a world.  When the world gen screen goes to Importing civilizations, I get an error stating that "One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it.  Restore from backup if you are able.

purplearcanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2010, 10:00:49 pm »

Ok, I have a bug in linux. Don't know if this has been reported, but when I create creatures in the arena mode, they randomly seem to suffocate.

Also, I try to generate a world.  When the world gen screen goes to Importing civilizations, I get an error stating that "One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it.  Restore from backup if you are able.

Looks like the error was that I extracted it all when there was a bunch of old files still.  Rest assured, it works now.

blinking icons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »

You don't have any idea of just how much I envy you that your computer is good enough for you to be able to consider 40 fps abysmal. Sure, on my desktop, I usually get around 250 fps too and that's good, but on my laptop, 25 is the norm (even in the previous version). And it's still fairly playable, I'd say. I also haven't experienced anything that could be described as "interface jerkyness", maybe it's an unrelated issue.

7 idle dwarves at embark @40FPS means 30FPS once they get to work, 20 FPS with 20 dwarves and open caverns and at 60 dwarves it becomes unplayable - and in comparison to 31.03 on my (fairly old) machine that is abysmal. For a "speedup release".
The Thresher looks sick!
The Thresher looks even more sick!
The Thresher vomits.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2010, 10:32:18 pm »

Well, I have tried just about everything - I simply cannot play the new version (Legacy works fine, of course.) due to the horrid framerate, regardless of my init settings. I hope to god toady keeps up with legacy versions. I'd hate to have to stop. I know a new computer would probably fix this, but I simply cannot afford one. All I have is a T2082 Emachine with 1 gig of ram. It cant really run anything from after 2007. Im dealing with it, though.

Anyway, great job on the new version, again, toady, regardless of my issue. You did well on the merge.
Did 40D work for you? It may be something toady has done.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2010, 11:23:17 pm »

I have noticed another really odd bug... After world generation, if I set FPS:0 in my init (or initd) file, it offloads units MUCH faster than if I have a setting like FPS:50 or some other number.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 18, 2010, 11:24:42 pm »

Well, I have tried just about everything - I simply cannot play the new version (Legacy works fine, of course.) due to the horrid framerate, regardless of my init settings. I hope to god toady keeps up with legacy versions. I'd hate to have to stop. I know a new computer would probably fix this, but I simply cannot afford one. All I have is a T2082 Emachine with 1 gig of ram. It cant really run anything from after 2007. Im dealing with it, though.

Anyway, great job on the new version, again, toady, regardless of my issue. You did well on the merge.
Have you tried using 2D as a rendering option. I believe that basically turns it into a legacy version.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 19, 2010, 03:02:20 am »

On Eee PC 901, running Ubuntu Linux 8.10:

Trying to form a second squad crashes, due to a "buffer overflow". The first squad was made back in .03, so I'm not sure whether it's forming the second squad or forming squads in general that does it. Happens when selecting uniform.

Using FRAME_BUFFER segfaults. ACCUM_BUFFER and PARTIAL seem to work, mostly. The framerate is better than without them, too.

Setting textures to "linear" causes really weird flickering, everything being fuzzy and graphical lag.

When the DF window is visible, the laptop speakers make a constant, soft, almost inaudible noise. They certainly shouldn't be doing that. I have headphones connected, and the laptop speakers should pretty much stay quiet no matter what. I find this absolutely baffling. It only happens when the DF window is visible on the screen, and updating; that is, not when saving or loading a game. It's quiet enough that I can ignore it, but still kind of creepy. DF sound is turned off from the init settings.

Zooming doesn't seem to work. Or rather, changing grid size doesn't seem to work. When changing window size, you get bigger tiles rather than more of them. On some settings, the grid size also seems to be locked to 80x25, with changing it in the init only changing window size and not actual grid size.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 19, 2010, 03:07:51 am »

Trying to form a second squad crashes, due to a "buffer overflow". The first squad was made back in .03, so I'm not sure whether it's forming the second squad or forming squads in general that does it. Happens when selecting uniform.

Known bug.

When the DF window is visible, the laptop speakers make a constant, soft, almost inaudible noise. They certainly shouldn't be doing that. I have headphones connected, and the laptop speakers should pretty much stay quiet no matter what. I find this absolutely baffling. It only happens when the DF window is visible on the screen, and updating; that is, not when saving or loading a game. It's quiet enough that I can ignore it, but still kind of creepy. DF sound is turned off from the init settings.

Wild guess here, but this may the result of some kind of electronic interference in your sound hardware.  See if you can replicate it with other games/applications.

armrha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 19, 2010, 04:14:42 am »

Wild guess here, but this may the result of some kind of electronic interference in your sound hardware.  See if you can replicate it with other games/applications.

Yeah, I use to get the same thing when I had an internal sound card. If I really cranked the volume, I could hear interference just from moving a window around. I got an electric guitar amp and ran the cable from my sound card and through the case and turned the gain up insanely and you could hear all kinds of crazy stuff, sounds to correlate with almost every action you took on the computer. I would guess it's that too.

Good solution though would just be to turn off the speakers when you are playing or lower the volume of the speakers.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 55