Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 214087 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #510 on: May 20, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »

Now I'm curious. How would you do that?  :o

Heh, but it's not exactly a major problem. I'm upgrading from cable to fiber, and the cable is disconnected a few days before the fiber is installed. I'm also taking the opportunity for a mini-vacation; time to relax a little after the thesis work.

You.. you... you elf!
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 20, 2010, 06:03:23 pm »

I've narrowed down some of the broken bits, but there are compilation errors that I need feedback from Toady to fix, and since I'm losing internet access in a few hours until early next week I won't be able to upload a fixed version until then. I'd really rather test it a little bit first.

But rest assured, it won't be long after that.

Aww :(

Another week till i can play! :(

hehe, nah its cool, i know your doing a good job, i can wait. However, toady, if you can get it working with graphics before then, would be much appreciated, but dont waste too much time on it.
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 20, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »

You kidding me?  I've put myself through 1 - 2 fps for regular DF games, hours spent watching my dwarfs going to the stockpile and then drinking for hours. 

Some people don't realize how good they have it...

1 to 2 FPS? Luxury! Why, we used to have to share a single frame every minute, all twenty-six of us, with no backlight, and 'alf the screen was missing, and we were all huddled in one corner for fear of falling...

A single frame? You were lucky to have a frame! We had to live in the hole of a punch card dropped under the central housing of a UNIVAC II in a decommissioned nuclear silo, and every-morning we'd have to get up at 4;00 AM and die of radiation that was leaking from a nearby cracked warhead. But we were happy then....

*sticks nose in air*
A whole punch card? YOU WERE LUCKY TO HAVE A PUNCH CARD! Back in my day, we had to work for a unforgiving blood god (His name was Armok, but we called him "The Player", and not for his notorious pimping of the cats) who usually sacrificed us for a HOLE. But we were ecstatic back then...

Well, when I call it a punch card, it was more of broken-off sliver of the Antikythera mechanism, floating in a puddle of radioactive septic goo that had a tendency to mutate animals into obnoxious teenaged vigilante's.... but it was a punch card to us!
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 20, 2010, 06:33:23 pm »

I've narrowed down some of the broken bits, but there are compilation errors that I need feedback from Toady to fix, and since I'm losing internet access in a few hours until early next week I won't be able to upload a fixed version until then. I'd really rather test it a little bit first.

But rest assured, it won't be long after that.

I'm sad now...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #514 on: May 20, 2010, 07:12:48 pm »

The forum search should be working properly now.

I got the site finder working again.  I've been trying to get the squad crash to happen, but it hasn't yet.  Most of the rest will take some input from Baughn, and that looks like it'll all be sorted out by next week, and I'll put up a new release whenever I get one that works with graphics.  I'll probably be back on military/etc. bugs the next few days.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 20, 2010, 07:35:43 pm »

Thanks for the update, Toady. Don't worry too much about us, make sure you take care of yourself (and scamps).

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 20, 2010, 08:48:06 pm »

I am getting the "GPU unable to accomodate graphics textures..." bug as well, on Linux (not on title screen). (new ATI card, latest drivers, Fedora 12)
"GPU does not support non-power-of-two textures, using 512x512 catalog."

It's starting to sound like an ati-specific glitch. At least text mode runs like an Elf being chased by a Titan now. :D
Also, sound and initial movie are flawless.

Interesting bug: with INTRO:NO, the initial menu ends up in the top-left of my window, rather than centered. Running INTRO:YES results in it being centered correctly.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:01:50 pm by Yobgod »

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 20, 2010, 09:20:27 pm »

I got the site finder working again.  I've been trying to get the squad crash to happen, but it hasn't yet.  Most of the rest will take some input from Baughn, and that looks like it'll all be sorted out by next week, and I'll put up a new release whenever I get one that works with graphics.  I'll probably be back on military/etc. bugs the next few days.

Oh heck, I can survive a week without the new DF openGL release that does not have the graphics and military bug.

can  survive a week without the new DF openGL release that does not have the graphics and military bug.

I can.

*twitch"

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 20, 2010, 09:55:25 pm »

I only want crossbows to work.
Seriously, you can just delete everything else and give me a dwarf with a crossbow that works and call that a game, and I'll be happy!  :D
Thanks for all the hard work you put in, Toady!  Ur awesome!

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 20, 2010, 10:44:54 pm »

I am getting the "GPU unable to accomodate graphics textures..." bug as well, on Linux (not on title screen). (new ATI card, latest drivers, Fedora 12)

Dude, not only are there 35 pages discussing this problem and at least two bug reports on the bug tracker, Baughn also mentioned probably three times that it does not work because it's BROKEN.

Nothing hardware specific here, it just doesn't work.

Soooo let's just wait until Baughn [On Break] has the time to fix it, shall we~

stubby

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 20, 2010, 11:52:41 pm »

Running on Mac OS 10.6.3, I couldn't get the zoom to work and resizing was broken such that the size of the window wasn't reflected by the contents of the window.  With black space off, the window would simply go black when resized.  With black space on, the contents would not change size from the initial start size when the window was resized.  Full screen toggle didn't work either, though it would switch the tileset (I really like this behavior actually, flipping between two tilesets on the fly means you could have one real clean one for super zoomed out purposes and one detailed one for normal use).  Apparently, when I turned off the mouse in the init I broke all the fancy graphics stuff.  Turning it back on fixed everything.  Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it seems weird and I'm don't recall anyone mentioning it here.
I was having this problem too, and it was driving me crazy - I've gotten spoiled and 80x25 seems unplayable now.  But then YobGod posted THIS:

Interesting bug: with INTRO:NO, the initial menu ends up in the top-left of my window, rather than centered. Running INTRO:YES results in it being centered correctly.
And I realized that contents in the top-left means that the contents are adjusting to the window, so I gave it a shot - success!  The combination of you two guys' problems has resulted in a solution for me.  Thanks!

Now I can finally see if the fish populations are back, which is what I've been more excited about in this release than any graphics updates.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 21, 2010, 12:13:12 am »

Take a break Toady!
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

snow-templar

• Bay Watcher
  • I just write the scripts for the kiddies.
    • View Profile
    • If I ever have a site, it will most likely be here...
« Reply #522 on: May 21, 2010, 12:24:15 am »

Okay two things I just wanted to remark on the new version, and the first one has probably been said already but trying to find where it was said in a 35 page thread is a bitch.

1) I am noticing now that the finder is a lot slower.  Actually if I don't have the game in focus, it stops.  It starts again when I click on it and generally jumps a few searches.  Like while not in focus, it will get stuck at 5/81 while searching a large region generated map, but when I click on Dwarf Fortress to bring it back into focus, it goes up to 8/81 really fast and then gets stuck again.

2) Toady, you should update the init.txt file so that for the description for the [ARB_SYNC] option, you just shorten it to that your graphics card has to support OpenGL 3.1 or later.  Would make the user figuring out if they have a supported video card a lot easier if you told them they need to support OpenGL 3.1 rather than telling them that their graphics card needs to support the ARB_sync extension.
#!/usr/bin/ruby -w
print 'carp... F'
loop { print 'U' }

void

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:00 am »

Okay two things I just wanted to remark on the new version, and the first one has probably been said already but trying to find where it was said in a 35 page thread is a bitch.

1) I am noticing now that the finder is a lot slower.  Actually if I don't have the game in focus, it stops.  It starts again when I click on it and generally jumps a few searches.  Like while not in focus, it will get stuck at 5/81 while searching a large region generated map, but when I click on Dwarf Fortress to bring it back into focus, it goes up to 8/81 really fast and then gets stuck again.

Known issue. Actually you don't have to read 35 pages; just read the *last* page and you'll realize TOADY said "I got the site finder working again" a few minutes earlier.
For now, there's one way to get your finder to work: repeat press 1-2-3 and count 27 cycles. It works this way, believe me. 

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 21, 2010, 01:04:18 am »

Another bug I just noticed:  When linking mechanisms to anything you aren't always shown the correct location for the currently indicated building.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 55