Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 108

Author Topic: DFHack 0.5.15 (legacy)  (Read 391928 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.5.2
« Reply #750 on: March 04, 2011, 12:02:20 am »

I have the creature offsets. Creatures should work in stonesense and other tools when they get updated :)

I'm glad to hear that creature offsets have been worked on recently. But confusion could have been avoided by stating that you had creature offsets for .19, but not for .18.

I asked about this very issue more than once, but I guess my questions were missed:
...will this only be the creature and material offsets for 31.19? Or will this also / instead be the ones still missing from 31.18?

The situation seems to be just as I feared: All the excitement over .19 means it takes priority. Am I correct in assuming that legacy support for .18 took the back burner the day .19 came out?

Yeah, creatures work with .19, but not .18. Finding the creature offsets is a lot of work, and the guy who does them didn't want to waste his time with an older version.

you can easily load your old fort in .19, and it'll work fine.

Forgive my bluntness, but that is backwards thinking.

There are a lot of players right now, myself included, who've decided to stick with .18 for a while longer for three reasons: 1) because .19 is very, very buggy, 2) because metals are incredibly rare in .19 (and trading does not yet compensate for this), and 3) to give their favorite mods more of a chance to catch up with the changes.

I say "backwards" because it was to be expected that the first release in a new "arc" of major features would be unusually buggy and unbalanced. And Toady already stated that the next release will be very soon and that it will mostly be a bug fix release. He even said that there may be a world-gen option to bypass the metal scarcity (for those who want it).

Another words, the life expectancy of .19 can be measure in weeks, if not days. I fully expect over 90% of those using .19 to switch over to .20 the same day it is released (for the 3 reasons I mentioned above). And then .19 will go the way of .17...

So, what was the point in wasting that effort to find the creature offsets for .19, when we've been patiently waiting for the creature offsets for .18 for three and a half months? Just two days after 31.18 was released:
Just released 0.5.1. All the basic tools work on Windows.
Next step is to make the other tools work too (stonesense,etc.) and get the Linux support where it should be instead of trailing a few versions behind...
(emphasis added)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 04, 2011, 04:17:33 am »

Forgive my bluntness, but that is backwards thinking.

you're pretty spot on!

now thundercraft go and search me the .18 creature offset, as I'd like too to explore my .18 fort.

for the sarcasm impaired: thundercraft, see how bad it is when someone come at you and demand you to spend your time in doing something and points out how bad a person are you for not doing it his way?

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #752 on: March 04, 2011, 05:27:08 am »

STUFF
Whatever. 31.20 will be here (hopefully) in a few days and I'll update the offsets then. 31.18 wouldn't be hard to finish at this point anyway, so I could just as well do that too.
So, what was the point in wasting that effort to find the creature offsets for .19, when we've been patiently waiting for the creature offsets for .18 for three and a half months?
It is not wasted ~_~

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 04, 2011, 05:57:59 am »

I say just give the guy a refund and be done with it.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 04, 2011, 06:01:01 am »

I say just give the guy a refund and be done with it.

Exactly.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 04, 2011, 07:10:38 am »

Nice fellow this Thundercraft, huh?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 04, 2011, 12:50:10 pm »

for the sarcasm impaired: thundercraft, see how bad it is when someone come at you and demand you to spend your time in doing something and points out how bad a person are you for not doing it his way?
Actually, I did not imply that peterix or anyone else was a "bad person" - for this, or any other reason. (Speaking of "points out how bad a person are you": Perhaps, in retrospect, you can now see the irony of that comment?) I never demanded anything, either. There's nothing in my message that even implies a demand. I will admit, however, that I may have come off sounding rude or even rather ungrateful. For that I apologize.

Nice fellow this Thundercraft, huh?
Myself, I try to avoid judging the personality and moral character of others. Especially if all I have to go on are a few written comments. Assumptions are like dirty glasses, through which our view becomes obscured and it can be difficult to see anything but dirt.

So, what was the point in wasting that effort to find the creature offsets for .19, when we've been patiently waiting for the creature offsets for .18 for three and a half months?
It is not wasted ~_~

In hindsight, it was rather harsh and unwarrented for me to say it that way and I apologize. What I was trying to say was that, personally, I would have given .18 priority over .19 simply because .19 is a buggy version that is not expected be used for much longer. In comparison, some players might stick with .18 even after .20 comes out because they do not like the way the Caravan Arc is going. (At least until things balance out better.)

I do not doubt that offset searching is boring and tedious work. (I can only imagine that this is even worse than searching for memory values for a console game to create new cheat codes.) I understand why peterix did things the way he did. I certainly do not find fault with making the improvement of the DFHack tools a priority over searching for offsets. And I can appreciate the strategy of concentrating on writing a memory search tool and improving the pattern matching algorithms to make offset searches faster and easier. If I was in that position, I would have made the same decision.

Honestly, I would not have said anything had we been better informed. Saying that the "Next step" is to make tools like stonesense work for .18 raised our expectations. But for a long while we were left in the dark that the decision was made to go a different direction. Then suddenly finding out - from all appearances - that this much anticipated support of .18 was skipped... it felt like a rather big disappointment.

And to say "I have the creature offsets" without specifying these were for .19 only, is to again raise expectations, only to again be dissappointed by finding out the hard way.

What I'm saying is that there was a failure to communicate. (And it seems that I am guilty myself of failing to communicate clearly.)

All I'm asking is that, next time, can we be informed of these things? Preferably by editing the first post in this topic?

31.18 wouldn't be hard to finish at this point anyway, so I could just as well do that too.
All your work on the DFHack is appreciated by fans. And that includes me.
Thank you.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 04, 2011, 05:58:09 pm »

Meh. Is it kinda annoying that we *still* have no .18 offsets?
Yeah.
I don't play .19 and I'll probably be sticking to .18 for a while. Since so many things are reliant on hack, it can impair a bunch of utilities.

Do I really care?
Nah.
Not like I can't play DF (although it's possible that some people can't because of this, who knows). And I don't have to play DF.

Can I wait?
Yeah.
And so I will.
No sense getting mad/ticked/annoyed over things you can't change.
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 04, 2011, 09:04:50 pm »

I recently switched from .12 to .18, and I like the updates to the DFHack tools since I first downloaded them. But is there a way to have the cleanmap tool clear snow in this version? I like that it doesn't do so automatically but I'd prefer to still have the option.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 06, 2011, 11:09:47 am »

I get the following error when I try to use DFhack, I have been able to use it before on .18, but no luck for .19.
The error says:
The program cant start because MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Okay, so I tried reinstalling, no luck.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 06, 2011, 01:44:53 pm »

for this problem refer to

On Windows, you might have to install the MSVC 2010 redistributable.

link found in first post ..

next time check the whole first post first :D

Krinogen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 06, 2011, 02:00:38 pm »

anyone working on 31.20 hackbin ?

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #762 on: March 06, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »

Posting in thread to say thanks for all the help!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 06, 2011, 04:24:30 pm »

One would assume so, hopefully.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #764 on: March 06, 2011, 05:55:16 pm »

One would assume so, hopefully.
Actually, the windows version is almost ready. It just needs a bit of testing. And I'm waiting for some more code to merge. There will be a horrible dangerous hack tool in the next release.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 108