Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1985670 times)

HallowedError

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.16] [V5.2]
« Reply #420 on: November 20, 2010, 03:52:00 am »

I think the slower gen time is because of the new things added in .17.

And yeah, Therapist is really hard to go without once you're used to it.

zmc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 20, 2010, 05:28:50 am »

Pleeeeaaaaase update, this package rocks!  8)
This is Dwarf Fortress, not some pansy game that you can actually win.

Rathen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 20, 2010, 05:46:48 am »

This is the pack I'd normally go by for new releases, but all I really need to begin with is .18 with a graphical tileset. Anyone know of any ready made packs?

FatedTemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 20, 2010, 07:30:07 am »

This is the pack I'd normally go by for new releases, but all I really need to begin with is .18 with a graphical tileset. Anyone know of any ready made packs?

They're pretty much ALL ready made packs, just go to the modding forum and download the graphics from the link in whichever thread you like.

As for updates, I think it's fine to have a delay from new release to new LNP, after all what would have been the point of a .17 release when that was so broken? A delay gives people a chance to find bugs in the new release and the various utility maintainers time to update their products if necessary. Such as Dwarf Therapist which a lot of people use and would probably prefer to remain in the LNP.

Rather than change the pack I think you should just ignore the whiners complaining that it's been five minutes since Toady released a new version so, “why haven't you updated?!”. If people are so desperate for updates they can update those tools/graphics packs manually, it's not difficult, just check the threads for whatever you want updated. Or -and this may seem crazy- read the threads OP/wiki to see how you can update them yourself.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 20, 2010, 03:35:50 pm »

To be honest, the only utilities I ever find use for is reveal, therapist, and occasionally quickfort, so I'm pretty neutral about having everything all at once. Therapist especially is vital for my sanity an extremely helpful utility that I'd say needs to always be included even in a "lite" version. But it is really nice having all the goodies together in one nice package.

hamug28

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 21, 2010, 08:57:41 am »

I agree with you vhappy, but I sometimes use stonesense to get a better idea of how my fortress looks, and also when will the pack be updated with version 0.31.18?

TravBot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 21, 2010, 12:28:51 pm »

I originally voted 'no,' but have sort of changed my mind.  All I really use is Therapist and the tileset, so I'd be pleased as punch with just those in the release and links to the other.  If I get into using Stonesense, I can probably deal with that on my own, more or less, but I am quite lazy and somewhat newbish, so I don't like dealing with getting tilesets working properly  :P

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 24, 2010, 01:37:43 pm »

I just like this pack for the aquifer removal, i can put the rest together easily but going into the raws to edit the aquifer tags or whatever is annoying.

EDIT: Nevermind, that took about a minute to remove aquifer tags.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:56:48 pm by noppa354 »

bloodsuckern

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 27, 2010, 01:57:18 pm »

ey guys im new to this whole Dwarf fortress thing. but i was given a link to this mod/etc and i downloaded it. and i find all these weird things inside and ive found the Exe. to the game i started it. buuut fullscreen isnt there and i have no idea what to move to where and to what folder and what folders i should move to do anything! please help

T-manSim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 28, 2010, 02:32:01 pm »

ey guys im new to this whole Dwarf fortress thing. but i was given a link to this mod/etc and i downloaded it. and i find all these weird things inside and ive found the Exe. to the game i started it. buuut fullscreen isnt there and i have no idea what to move to where and to what folder and what folders i should move to do anything! please help

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

bloodsuckern

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 28, 2010, 04:10:11 pm »

a page to 1173 articles.  GREAT! thanks for trying

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 28, 2010, 06:35:25 pm »

Actually, wiki is a great source of information, and you should see this first: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tutorials

As for the newb pack, it has a .bat file in its main directory. Run it and choose "p". When the game starts choose "Create Nwe World With Advanced Parameters", "Lazy Newb World", and after that "Play Dwarf Fortress". This should work more or less, but I really recommend, that you at least read a tutorial on embarking.

EDIT: Oh, and about the pack. It is convenient to have it all in one place, but I mostly need DF, Therapist, and maybe some DFhack tools, I haven't tested more. I suppose, I can just grab Phobeus graphic pack with game included, therapist, and whatever tools I need by myself, but having it all in one place (or at least links to new versions) is prefferable.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:40:06 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 29, 2010, 12:11:57 am »

a page to 1173 articles.  GREAT! thanks for trying

1. The Wiki is amazing.
2. The way I learned was through 40 tutorial videos. Here's the first one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZUS2h-Yzc
These were made for the old version of DF but most of what he teaches is still relevant. EXTREMELY HELPFUL!
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Maugrimmau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 29, 2010, 08:13:16 am »

I tend to wait before downloading a new DF version anyway, just in case any major bugs crop up, so I have no problem with waiting a bit for a new LNP.

Therapist is so essential to playing that it doesn't make sense to me to release a pack that DOESN'T include it. Please do keep bundling Therapist at least!

I also use Stonesense a little, but for my part I don't especially mind if that isn't included.

[EDIT] My friend found Stonesense VITAL for getting into the game, he couldn't get his head round the pseudo-ascii.

To be honest while this pack is great for lazy folk like me, I don't think you should be moving away from the "provide an easy way for newbs to start playing" philosophy. Nothing wrong with sticking to a known stable version like .16 if it means you can ensure that ALL the stuff a newb will need comes ready bundled.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:20:43 am by Maugrimmau »

CrispyDuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 29, 2010, 04:37:24 pm »

No idea if this has been brought up before but i'm really bugged by the fuckhuge civilizations taking up 1/3 of the map and all of the good spots. Only the newer versions seem to have these monstrous civ's everywhere.

My questions:
Is this a bug or intended?
Can they be changed back into their previous, smaller versions?
Why does my cat love the smell of earwax?

That is all, thanks in advance.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 137