Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1892 1893 [1894] 1895 1896 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3568214 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Maximum Pedantry Edition
« Reply #28395 on: October 15, 2013, 03:48:14 pm »

Usually it's the other way around.

Though, well, it's more "You can't be an -elected- politician while being an extremist."

Gotta convince more than just the minority who holds your extreme views to vote for you to get elected.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #28396 on: October 15, 2013, 03:50:15 pm »

Though, well, it's more "You can't be an -elected- politician while being an extremist."

Gotta convince more than just the minority who holds your extreme views to vote for you to get elected.

Well, it's more "You can't be an elected politician while being an extremist without a gerrymandered district to call home."
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28397 on: October 15, 2013, 03:52:43 pm »

Oh, well, yeah. Here we're assuming you're politicking in an actually functional democracy.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #28398 on: October 15, 2013, 03:56:04 pm »

You can't be an extremist without being a politician.
Yes?
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28399 on: October 15, 2013, 03:57:49 pm »

I'm probably just being a curmudegon, but damn, there has been a deluge of EL developers coming here lately it seems. I'm starting to wish that you simply can't post in OG until you're not an EL. The temptation to LOLADVERTISE just seems to strong even for the most well-meaning of people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28400 on: October 15, 2013, 04:00:02 pm »

Oh, well, yeah. Here we're assuming you're politicking in an actually functional democracy.

It's not a perfect democracy, but I can assure you that the democracy of the US of A is still functional. There is absolutely nothing going on to suggest otherwise.

Wait...

I'm probably just being a curmudegon, but damn, there has been a deluge of EL developers coming here lately it seems. I'm starting to wish that you simply can't post in OG until you're not an EL. The temptation to LOLADVERTISE just seems to strong even for the most well-meaning of people.

I have a feeling I agree with you, nenjin. After all, you just joined the forums. You are here to talk about Dwarf Fortress, right?
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28401 on: October 15, 2013, 04:01:16 pm »

What do these mean?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28402 on: October 15, 2013, 04:03:28 pm »

What do these mean?
EL=Escaped Lunatics
OG=Other Games
LOLADVERTISE= I'm an unappreciative indie dev who knows that Dwarf Fortress is considered one of the most respected indie projects out there. I'll just go to their forums and shill out my game, even if it is essentially a DF clone, and I'm sure the community there won't have the savvy to call me out on it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28403 on: October 15, 2013, 04:04:39 pm »

To me, there is a distinct difference from a dev looking for some honest feedback....and devs who are running a PR blitz as lead-up to their Kickstarter/IndieGoGo campaign. You can usually tell the former by the primitive nature of their prototypes, and the latter by the amount of marketing materials they've already generated.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28404 on: October 15, 2013, 04:05:59 pm »

To me, there is a distinct difference from a dev looking for some honest feedback....and devs who are running a PR blitz as lead-up to their Kickstarter/IndieGoGo campaign. You can usually tell the former by the primitive nature of their prototypes, and the latter by the amount of marketing materials they've already generated.

Of course. The ones looking for feedback would consider their endeavor as a "Creative Project". :)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28405 on: October 15, 2013, 04:19:17 pm »

I'm sorry. :(

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28406 on: October 15, 2013, 04:22:47 pm »

I'm sorry. :(

*shrug* If you've been here prior, that's cool by me. I just have this overzealous need to protect OG's eyeballs from people who treat them as page hits and +1's.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28407 on: October 15, 2013, 04:23:34 pm »

Generally the big tells for me are:

1. If they are an EL. (Established member talking about a game they're working on? Awesome!)
2. If they started the thread about the game (as opposed to the devs who are told about the discussion and show up to talk about their game).
3. If 2 is true, if they plug a funding project right away.

I don't really mind EL devs making threads for their games if they're early in development and are looking for recommendations and feedback. For better or worse DF players (and ex-players) have a reputation when it comes to gaming circles, so it's not unreasonable for indie devs to use us as a sounding board. I've seen a lot of interesting projects in OG that I probably would never have known about if the dev hadn't come here.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28408 on: October 15, 2013, 04:25:09 pm »

Since when do we have reputation?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28409 on: October 15, 2013, 04:27:03 pm »

Since when do we have reputation?

I'd like to think the two big breaks an indie game can get are a) RPS coverage and b) a 1,000 reply thread in the OG forums. Although that's probably overestimating how much clout the forums actually have. (That said, it's surprising to find how often I run Google searches on various games and find Bay12 is often near the top. Maybe that's just Google trying to show me what I already freaking know.)
Pages: 1 ... 1892 1893 [1894] 1895 1896 ... 3345