Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569321 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1830 on: November 10, 2010, 06:16:36 pm »

I'm the first to praise Toady's many qualities, but the recent forum anxiety is his fault, like piecewise pointed.

And then he posts nothing for days, and people start to get upset because they are waiting for a release any day now.

I miss the days when the devlog were updated daily.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1831 on: November 10, 2010, 06:51:23 pm »

Personally, its not like I mind waiting. Well, ok, I do but I wouldn't blame toady or get mad or anything, it's not like he's not working or anything, shit just takes time. Its just just that when he says he's in the process of just cleaning up the release and is more then half done I assume that it will be done in like a week or something. If toady were to say "yeah, things are taking longer then I thought, it might be a while longer" then I'd be fine with that. Its just that the combination of talking about final clean up, posting massive awesome and seemingly very finished adventure logs and then going quiet for 3-5 days at a time leaves lots of people kinda twitchy, for obvious and I believe very understandable reasons.

It's not like I'm saying toady should update the devlog everyday or have a progress bar (I don't think it would work, I was just saying I'd be cool) or set release dates because we all know that shit happens and stuff is unpredictable. Just saying that if you post stuff saying it's near release (especially a release that adds in tons of new and rabidly requested stuff) and then tempt us all with awesome logs (this actually helps satiate people to a point as well though) don't be surprised if some of us get antsy. If anything, that just shows how much we love this dang thing.

I NEED MAH FIX MAN

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: November 10, 2010, 06:53:41 pm »

I'm the first to praise Toady's many qualities, but the recent forum anxiety is his fault, like piecewise pointed.

Only in that he used the words "half way done" giving people an idea of a release date.

The way that people get all hyped up when a date hasn't even been given is just adding support for giving no info whatsoever about actual timeframes, only doing the funny stories and talking about new features.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: November 10, 2010, 06:55:40 pm »

Hey there, is throwing the blame on Toady for actualy coding and living instead of spending time make long winded updates of the dev log really the best thing to do?

Toady is the indie game developer that most interacts with his community I've seen, by far. All others go missing for weeks on end only to post a small progress report, and go missing again. Toady actualy takes the time to answer the shitton questions we make, plus the awesome dev entries. Seriously, the last dev entry was what, a week ago?

I say actualy blaming Toady for our impatience is quite the whiny obsessed fan thing to do.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:59:28 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: November 10, 2010, 07:00:28 pm »

He should be flattered by all the rabid fans. Seriously I'd turn for that man ;)
*Hugs*

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: November 10, 2010, 07:02:47 pm »

He should be flattered by all the rabid fans. Seriously I'd turn for that man ;)

A developer hits a milestone when the male fanbase starts turning gay for him  :o

Really though, we all got lives to live and things to do. A few more weeks won't cause our brains to implode.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: November 10, 2010, 07:03:28 pm »

Seriously, the last dev entry was what, a week ago?

3 days ago, actually. Yet people are still freaking out.

Yeah, waiting sucks, but getting an unplayable/buggy release would be far worse.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: November 10, 2010, 07:04:07 pm »

-_-, I'm a girl...
*Hugs*

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: November 10, 2010, 07:05:50 pm »

No-one minds a complaint. It's when the complaint happens over and over again within a short period of time that it becomes nagging. And the point of nagging is to attempt to change someone's behaviour, right? People want Toady to give more accurate ETAs and if he isn't going to meet the ETA they want him to immediately give another ETA. It seems more likely to me that he'll simply be scared off from making any sort of generalized statement at all because he's unlikely to ever satisfy the impatient completely.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: November 10, 2010, 07:11:15 pm »

Toady works like no one. He is a developer that seems to have forgo his personal live for love of the game.

However, a simple phrase could keep people less anxious.

"No update ins less than a week, guys". And people would stop refreshing the Downloads page.

Edit: I do not believe in ETAs in programming. I do believe, however, that when you promise a update in few days (though it was Threetoe) people will expect it in a few days.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: November 10, 2010, 07:12:48 pm »

Toady works like no one.

Honestly, the speed of his progress and overall awesomeness of his work put me in mind of Valve...
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: November 10, 2010, 07:12:54 pm »

And then he posts nothing for days, and people start to get upset because they are waiting for a release any day now.
I'd say that no, it's the fans' fault for taking it a little too far.

-_-, I'm a girl...
Don't worry about it.  No matter your orientation, you can always be straight for Toady.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: November 10, 2010, 08:53:34 pm »

Quote from: Sowelu
-_-, I'm a girl...
Don't worry about it.  No matter your orientation, you can always be straight for Toady.
I know what you mean. Just a sheer glance at this picture nearly makes me reach orgasm.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1843 on: November 10, 2010, 09:07:50 pm »

Always remember:  The first 90% of the release takes 90% of the time.  The last 10% takes the other 90%.  yes that's 180%

Yeah, I've been having the worst little 90-90 microcosm here...  it was always going to be tomorrow, so I was like "the next dev log will be the release post", but some crash or irritating problem arises.  I have one rare unreproducible crash that I'll probably have to release with, and a giant wish-list which grows instead of shrinks as usual, and the current idea was to put it up 13 hours from now, but I can't promise it.  If I put it off much longer, it'll just be self-indulgent, I think.  The last thing I slipped in was people rolling away from strikes if they are on the ground.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: November 10, 2010, 09:29:21 pm »

Always remember:  The first 90% of the release takes 90% of the time.  The last 10% takes the other 90%.  yes that's 180%

Yeah, I've been having the worst little 90-90 microcosm here...  it was always going to be tomorrow, so I was like "the next dev log will be the release post", but some crash or irritating problem arises.  I have one rare unreproducible crash that I'll probably have to release with, and a giant wish-list which grows instead of shrinks as usual, and the current idea was to put it up 13 hours from now, but I can't promise it.  If I put it off much longer, it'll just be self-indulgent, I think.  The last thing I slipped in was people rolling away from strikes if they are on the ground.

This is why me and my other programmer friend tend to get slightly annoyed with our friend who doesn't program but has lots of ideas:  His wish-lists tend to grow and explaining that we figured out how to implement a single, normally minuscule, part of his grand idea just makes it grow faster.  I'm sure it is even worse when you are both the instigator and implementor of ideas.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 342