Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569260 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2715 on: December 18, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »

There's a little discussion on cauldrons, sieges, and ladders; so will our dwarves get to make use of the former? Thoughts include pouring boiling oil over siegers climbing up on ladders (building it and loading it as a siege weapon), using the cauldron for really large cooking batches ("caught scent of a wonderful meal lately"), building something like a well that allows both collection of magma and heating things in magma ("filled with a poison that'll evaporate when heated"). Making it possible to fall into a built pot, cooking or not, might be cool too.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: December 19, 2010, 04:50:11 am »

There's a little discussion on cauldrons, sieges, and ladders; so will our dwarves get to make use of the former? Thoughts include pouring boiling oil over siegers climbing up on ladders (building it and loading it as a siege weapon)
Liquids are items, rather than flowing fluids, right now. Unless oil is implemented as an actual fluid, like magma or water, which is completely unlikely, then it could only be dropped as a projectile.

As in,
"The spinning cooking oil [5] hits the goblin in the left ear, tearing the skin and bruising the fat!"

So... probably not.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 19, 2010, 09:06:33 am »

well actually... we have "liquids" that actually form puddles/spatters/etc. just pour it, make the tile below have that boiling, and goblins (and other beings  :D) pick it up as they move through.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: December 19, 2010, 10:45:39 am »

Contaminiants are nothing like liquid at the momne.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: December 19, 2010, 11:27:08 am »

that I know.

but boiling contaminants SUCK. I just killed a party of kobolds (adventurer) by throwing boiling blood at them  :D

it was FB blood from a fort. very useful  ;D
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: December 19, 2010, 12:02:20 pm »

If I throw an egg will it's shell break and spill it's insides?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: December 19, 2010, 01:28:42 pm »

If I throw an egg will it's shell break and spill it's insides?
Toady said he considered adding eggs to require doing the different tissuelayers of eggs right, including yolk, eggwhite, shell etc. I assume that after all that trouble, he'll do the properties of those insides right as well and the insides will have liquid properties.
The bigger question is: will heated eggs have solidified insides or boiling?
Making them terrifying grenades! ;)
(Probably a non-issue though.)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2722 on: December 19, 2010, 02:56:43 pm »

It occured to me ... if eggs definitions in raws are permitting enough, modders can abuse it.

To introduce manure/feces for example.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: December 19, 2010, 02:59:12 pm »

It occured to me ... if eggs definitions in raws are permitting enough, modders can abuse it.

To introduce manure/feces for example.
That's not abuse, that's just use. It's a very practical addition and there are lots of people who want that.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: December 19, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »

RAW-ABLE PLZ!!!
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: December 19, 2010, 04:07:43 pm »

i'll shoot the first guy to make the "not this shit again" joke

also, as this is a topic that interests me, what is the latest word on it? the last time i heard of it footkerchief had found POWERGOAL 153 and we rejoiced

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: December 19, 2010, 04:32:44 pm »

Holy shit you do?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: December 19, 2010, 05:51:05 pm »

also, as this is a topic that interests me, what is the latest word on it? the last time i heard of it footkerchief had found POWERGOAL 153 and we rejoiced

Was it the one where your adventurer was eaten by a dragon but was not digested thanks to a magic ring, only to get out via "biological path" ?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: December 19, 2010, 06:37:13 pm »

Nope.

Powergoal153, THE CRACKS OF DOOM, (Future): You flee into the sewer with the baron's ring, but sliding in the muck,  you drop it.  Try as you might, you cannot locate the precious object in  the town's filth.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: December 19, 2010, 09:54:25 pm »

There's a little discussion on cauldrons, sieges, and ladders; so will our dwarves get to make use of the former? Thoughts include pouring boiling oil over siegers climbing up on ladders (building it and loading it as a siege weapon)
Liquids are items, rather than flowing fluids, right now. Unless oil is implemented as an actual fluid, like magma or water, which is completely unlikely, then it could only be dropped as a projectile.

As in,
"The spinning cooking oil [5] hits the goblin in the left ear, tearing the skin and bruising the fat!"

So... probably not.
I was the one that posted the cauldron thread, and my original idea was more along the lines of spreading contaminants...  for instance, a creature caught in a spatter of hot oil might get a number of contaminants over their body, which in turn cause damage from the heat.  Or cutting more to the point, more dangerous substances might be used - like something flammable or imported venom from other civs - that causes paralysis, rotting flesh, or so on, providing the toxin works on contact.  I didn't actually mention anything about cooking (since kitchens already serve that purpose fine), and vapors seem a rather roundabout way of doing things unless the toxic substance in question only causes harm when inhaled/ingested.

So, a better example of the intended outcome might be "The boiling plump helmet oil splashes onto the goblin, covering his upper left arm in boiling plump helmet oil!"

Could conceivable be performed with an attack type similar to how catapults/ballista work, except vertical rather than horizontal, and with an effect of something like deadly spittle, spreading contaminants in an area but otherwise causing relatively little harm.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 342